Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's weird is how the older releases are still going out.... two copies of 'this' one today, so far, on ev-fw, but look at the older ones over the last couple of days... you wonder how to make any sense of that algorithm! :D

upload_2017-6-19_12-3-59.png

Another odd thing: decent number of reported 17.24.28 updates on ev-fw today, but they're all going to pre-AP or AP1 vehicles. That is an indicator that thing probably isn't a big AP2 update (despite containing some AP2 features like perpendicular parking).

I got my new X over the weekend. It has 17.24.28.

I drove around 100 miles yesterday on hwy. I found autopilot works quite well except it hungs to the right size of the lane little closer than I like. I can't compare to prior version, but I find it work very well. Turning on hwy is definitely smooth...Very smooth in fact

I got my new X over the weekend. It has 17.24.28.

I drove around 100 miles yesterday on hwy. I found autopilot works quite well except it hungs to the right size of the lane little closer than I like. I can't compare to prior version, but I find it work very well. Turning on hwy is definitely smooth...Very smooth in fact

New cars are getting it and SC visits are getting it, but the majority (like 90+% at the moment) of home Wifi-delivered 17.24.28 are pre-AP/AP1 cars. So I stick with thinking it isn't the AP2 update...

I hope so too, I'm just basing my data on ev-fw.

As of this post, 10 updates of 17.24.28 delivered today (that are tracked by ev-fw), and all 10 are non-AP2.

I suppose there are many things that could have happened. Perhaps latest updates did enable new control algorithm (silky smooth handling). It's possible that they pulled the update for only hw2 users because they weren't happy with the EAP results but there were no issues with hw1 or pre autopilot.

Seems there are comments of noticeable Hw2 change with update. Some report positively, others reporting huge regressions.

Hopefully Elon takes some ambien this week and we get more details.

I suppose there are many things that could have happened. Perhaps latest updates did enable new control algorithm (silky smooth handling). It's possible that they pulled the update for only hw2 users because they weren't happy with the EAP results but there were no issues with hw1 or pre autopilot.

Seems there are comments of noticeable Hw2 change with update. Some report positively, others reporting huge regressions.

Hopefully Elon takes some ambien this week and we get more details.
My car is at an SC getting a new ECU. While there it's been updated from 17.17.4 to 17.24.28, so hopefully after I get it back I can discuss the differences.

But interestingly, in the meantime I've had a loaner with the 17.22.xx (don't remember off top of my head the last two digits). It's awful. In the past on 17.17.4, my car would wait until late to break coming upon a parked car. This version breaks just as hard -- just earlier. It's not more intelligent. This car bizarrely doesn't see the express lanes on the highway as highway roads, so the car imposes local road AS speed restrictions. It LOVES the right hand side of the lane. It will even cross the right lane and stay in AS while visibly straddling the line in the dash display.

I snapped this pic yesterday because I couldn't believe how close to another car it was going even though there was nothing in the lane on my left. Of course you can't see the car immediately to my right, since AP2 can't do that, but it's there as the radar indicates. And yes, I turned AS off immediately after I took the picture.

IMG_7574.JPG

Let us pay homage to the tweets that have died recently.:

Jan 22: "Autonomy capability should improve via OTA every 2 to 6 weeks."
17.17.4 was the last increase in autonomy that went to any large set of vehicles. That was 6 weeks ago today. We made it 4 updates before we fell off that rate.
May 21: Excited about the Tesla Autopilot software release rolling out next month. New control algorithm feels as smooth as silk.
If you think 17.22.46 or 17.24.28 is this update, then reviews are mixed at best as to improvements. However, these updates went to few cars, so hard to call them a roll out. So I guess they have 10 more days to achieve it.
May 21: Perpendicular parking and rain sensors for HW2?! Please?! Hopefully June for those too
Yeah. Auto wipers are not happening this month. Tesla hasn't rolled two feature updates within 2 weeks since 2016.
June 12: Linux kernel update was way harder than anticipated. Giant improvement, but meant way more OS overhead tuning to keep screen frame rate good
People that have the new kernel have not been able to identify any differences, much less "giant improvement"
June 11: HW2 Autopilot release should go wide next weekend with additional smoothness improvements to longitudinal control
Didn't happen.

Last edited:
17.24.28 definitely drives a bit closer to the right. However, not to the point that make me feel at dangerous. In several occasions, I just cancelled it and then re-engaged. It was fine afterward

I know this is not perfect. But it does help relieve stress in my stop and go commute. I also think we should activate it as much as we can because the driving data will be used to improve future releases.