Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my first opportunity to experience 17.24.28 on AP1. The two-lane road is between towns with a 50 mph speed limit, various speeds IRL depending on traffic. Bright sunny day. Lane-keeping quality has been slowly improving with the last few updates, and I think the trend is continuing. Same with braking for traffic. One very sweet note happened when I passed a family standing with their bikes on the shoulder. The car moved left so that the left wheels were on the double yellow line to give the people a bit more clearance and then re-centered in the lane. I think this is an important psychological moment. As someone on the side of the road, when I see a driver do that it means they've seen me and so they probably won't hit me. AP1 is getting a reputation for caring about pedestrians and cyclists. How cool is that?

Yeah there must be something intentionally holding back this update. And I think logically it has to be AP2-related since the rollout is wide for AP1. So either there's a bug with AP2 they want to fix, or they are unsure about the silky smoothness and want some more AP2 telemetry before opening the flood gates.

I have a AP2 car with 17.24.28, and its not working well.
Very problematic are the sudden breaks (much more the 17.17.17) for nothing and the alerts when it seems to not know what to do.

Its limited to the speed limit almost everywhere which makes it difficult to even use autopilot
- It break suddenly when you go over a speed limit line (80km/h to 50km/h for example) this is much to abrupt.
- It breaks driving on a new road where it thinks you are not on the highway anymore
- Most people do not drive the exact speed limit so I am not able to use autopilot as I am holding up faster going traffic (this would be solved if you could go a little above the speed limit but to have it exactly does not work)
Overall this makes using autopilot more a hassle then a handy feature..

When I even compare to the AP1 car I had last week with the 7.1 software still on there the AP2 is still behind.
AP1 give so much more confidence and is much more relaxing to drive because of its REAL silk, smooth and confident behavior.

In highway driving i did notice a slight improvement over 17.17.17 with curves that or not to sharp

Hope they get a new update soon to make a step forward instead of backward!

I have a AP2 car with 17.24.28, and its not working well.
Very problematic are the sudden breaks (much more the 17.17.17) for nothing and the alerts when it seems to not know what to do.

It is not silky, unless you run sandpaper down a silk scarf. However it definitely sees further ahead and does "better" at stopping if there is traffic halted ahead, however it does this in a very jerky way. Curves are better on highways, much less issue with highway driving overall. But in city driving, my car does want to kill me. Still beta for sure.

Reactions: rltsx
Same thing that happened to almost all of his tweets about Tesla in the last 6 months. It was empty marketing BS to move more cars at the end of the quarter.
IMO, most people who are looking to buy a Tesla (including me up to 12 months ago) wouldn't have a clue or the experience of what AP is like. So, Elon's tweet about a silky smooth OTA update was meant for current Tesla owners, not for new owners. Therefore, I strongly doubt it was meant to push new sales.

IMO, most people who are looking to buy a Tesla (including me up to 12 months ago) wouldn't have a clue or the experience of what AP is like. So, Elon's tweet about a silky smooth OTA update was meant for current Tesla owners, not for new owners. Therefore, I strongly doubt it was meant to push new sales.
I think it was to influence the market and investors. He's a market manipulating machine.

AP1 75D and just got the update. It's completely screwed up my nav. Auto resizing doesn't work properly anymore so big screen is always too far zoomed out on the map to be helpful. Only way to fix is to Constantly zoom and scroll. Anyone else having this issue or know a fix?

AP1 75D and just got the update. It's completely screwed up my nav. Auto resizing doesn't work properly anymore so big screen is always too far zoomed out on the map to be helpful. Only way to fix is to Constantly zoom and scroll. Anyone else having this issue or know a fix?
Did you try rebooting the center console? Long press middle buttons on both sides of your steering wheel untill the console gets dark. After any updates, rebooting sometimes resolves issues like that, in my experience.

Reactions: Tazman