Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17.24.28 on my AP1 S is a MAJOR downgrade of Autopilot intelligence.

After updating I have put 50 miles today on the same stretch of highway I drive daily and I can confirm the following:
-Multiple phantom slow downs where the speed shows 55 and then drops to 35, 40 or the default 45 with no speed limit signs in sight
-Autosteer speed limited to +5 on any road (WTF!?!)
-Hold steering wheel chimes in 5X more often regardless of speed, adjacent traffic, or road travel (straight or curved)

IMO, we have a complete repeat of the issue we faced mid-2016 where the firmware update nerfed the functionality of Autopilot.

Tesla, you have neutered it, and it is again dangerous because of the unpredicabiltiy related to speed.

I have read on other forums where Tesla has switched to TomTom for speed limit data, and this data may be inaccurate in some/many areas.

Until this is resovled my advice is this; all AP1 owners SHOULD AVOID this update.

Just did about 60 miles with 17.24.28 on AP1 and it did quite well in traffic and more open stretches of I-94. No complaints here. Will have a 400 mile trip tomorrow which should give me a real good idea how it is fairing.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
17.24.28 on my AP1 S is a MAJOR downgrade of Autopilot intelligence.

After updating I have put 50 miles today on the same stretch of highway I drive daily and I can confirm the following:
-Multiple phantom slow downs where the speed shows 55 and then drops to 35, 40 or the default 45 with no speed limit signs in sight
-Autosteer speed limited to +5 on any road (WTF!?!)
-Hold steering wheel chimes in 5X more often regardless of speed, adjacent traffic, or road travel (straight or curved)

IMO, we have a complete repeat of the issue we faced mid-2016 where the firmware update nerfed the functionality of Autopilot.

Tesla, you have neutered it, and it is again dangerous because of the unpredicabiltiy related to speed.

I have read on other forums where Tesla has switched to TomTom for speed limit data, and this data may be inaccurate in some/many areas.

Until this is resovled my advice is this; all AP1 owners SHOULD AVOID this update.

I got the 17.24.28 on my AP1 S last night, went for a test drive this morning. Unfortunately, the car no longer uses the data base for speed limit that it used to use. On my street, the speed limit starts at 35, then goes to 55. There is no speed limit sign, just a sign that says "End speed restriction, 55 mph". The car would always increased to 60 at that point but the new update keeps the car going 40 mph. It seems to still read normal speed limit signs fine, but no longer uses the old data-base that was always correct as far as I could tell. We have a lot of country roads with no speed limit signs, so now it seems to always think it is 35 mph until it sees the next speed limit sign.
The update did not fix the swerving at the top of hills. AP1 still does not take off ramps. I did not check if it would go more than 5 mph over the speed limit on the highway. I would recommend to skip this update until we have done more testing.

Not to call bs, but the first two critical contents above have a grand total of seven posts combined between them ever.
As such i can only suspect this as FUD from inexperienced or uninformed users.

And the vehicle has always restricted to car to the speed limit signs in ap1, except on passages it deems highways. It does not specifically use gps to determine speed limits, instead alerting me to take the wheel, at least to my knowledge or experience.

Unless more concrete evidence is unveiled from more reliable sources, i continue to eagerly await the next firmware update.

Not to call bs, but the first two critical contents above have a grand total of seven posts combined between them ever.
As such i can only suspect this as FUD from inexperienced or uninformed users.

And the vehicle has always restricted to car to the speed limit signs in ap1, except on passages it deems highways. It does not specifically use gps to determine speed limits, instead alerting me to take the wheel, at least to my knowledge or experience.

Unless more concrete evidence is unveiled from more reliable sources, i continue to eagerly await the next firmware update.
Since when is user experience tied to number of posts? Such silky smooth fallacy.

Not to be rude, but would you mind elaborating what is wrong with the release rather than copy pasting the same vague description into a bunch of threads?
Getting the ropes of the forum. I always read but never posted, phone issues so I didn't see my posts actually went online.

So to elaborate, 17.24.28 is jittery, less confident, swings violently when lane is missing, and about silky smooth longitudinal it's a total failure since it fails more than 17.17.4 in seeing stopped cars and when it sees feels like someone pull and release hand break.

Reduced ALL too much speed for curves than 17.4

17.17.4 NEVER reduced speed out of nowhere on highways w no cars in front for me. The days of the car breaking because of a bridge were behind us.

Reactions: josher32
I updated yesterday. I am NOT having the problems listed above. I have a late 2015 AP1 car.

I engaged TACC and auto steer at +10 this morning on my way to work. There was too much traffic to get higher than that.

I think it is enforcing the "car lengths following rule" more strictly than before. I had it at 5, and it would brake pretty hard to maintain then when someone cut in front of me, which was happening frequently during morning commute ...

I have an April 2015 build 85D with AP1, I installed 17.24.28 on Friday, and drove about 100 miles over the weekend with AP, mostly freeways/highways.
  1. I did not experience any instance where the detected speed limit was incorrect.
  2. I did not experience any jerkiness or problems with lane following. In fact, the lane stripe acquisition appears to have improved for yellow stripes e.g. the left side of the left lane of a multi-lane highway. Additionally, lane stripe acquisition appears to have improved for areas where there are old removed markers and multi-colored concrete e.g. construction areas. I was able to follow a Botts-dots bordered lane along the northwest freeway in Houston for several miles with no appreciable errors.
  3. I did not experience any random braking issues.
  4. AP speed limit on freeways was not limited.
  5. I didn't do a lot of non-freeway driving on AP, but on those roads where I did try it, AP was limited to 5 MPH above the posted limit. I have my speed offset in my settings set to +5 MPH, I did not try other settings.
I don't doubt that some people may be experiencing issues, especially on non-highway roads, but I did not see any of those issues during my abbreviated test drives.

I did some more testing today with my wife's AP1, 17.24.28 model S. It seems that the car reads and follows posted speed limit signs very well. Unfortunately, I drive to work on a road where it is 55 mph but there is no posted speed limit signs visible from where I turn onto the road. There is no posted speed limit sign for the next 10 miles. The car used to drive 60 but now it says the speed limit is 35 and stays at 40 mph. When I finally get to a 55 mph sign, it increases to 60 mph. Maybe the cars have been driving around recording speed limit signs and sending the information back to Tesla and now they are using that information to determine the speed limit instead of using the GPS speed limit that other cars use.

I tested the driving too. AP1 definitely drives well, very smooth, stays between the lines. I think this update did improve her AP1 car's ability to see poorly painted lines but I think my AP2 model S cameras still "see" the lines better. AP2 just can't stay between the lines yet. Hopefully the next update will help my AP2 car go smoothly around corners like AP1 does. AP1 still swerves at the top of hill, no improvement there.