Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.30 HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 17.17.17 is better? Should I update to .28?
That is up to you.... 0.28 (now 0.30) is not a disaster to be frank.

The update does the following well:

- Adds auto brightness to the feature list which adjusts the main and instrument panel screen brightness accordingly.
- Adds perpendicular back-in parking, and it works very well.
- AP2 (I can only speak to this, I don't have AP1) is definitely improved in terms of keeping lanes in my opinion, in that it is more steady within the lanes on well marked divided highways, however, i think it hugs the left line and is biased to the left, makes me a little n
- AP2 handles some sharper curves in off highway situations better but i would still avoid using it off highway, it is still flaky
- Auto lane changes completes the lane change a bit quicker. in 17.17.17 I was not happy that it would take a long time to move over a lane, it was too gradual.
- It clearly tracks the car in your lane ahead of you much better than 17.17.17

What the update did not do well in my opinion

- Following distance wasn't broken but they broke it in my opinion. When I set my following distance setting it would previously do a great job of hitting that distance. For gradual changes it would gradually adjust, and it was smooth, even for rapid slow down of the car ahead, it would hit the correct deceleration rate and maintain a safe distance. This was lost in this update. In some cases it is ok, in other cases though it brakes really hard, and small minor fluctuations in speed give hard acceleration and hard deceleration in small lurches. Not nearly as smooth as silk as I was expecting.

- Approaching stopped or very slow moving traffic relative to your speed from a distance away begins braking very early and very hard, it comes to a very slow speed way way back then rolls up to the back car. Does not feel nearly as smooth. I personally think this may be a result of the better tracking as it appears to brake almost as soon as it "sees" the car.

- Though the method of autolane change has improved, it is very inconsistent, more so than 17.17.17 in my experience. about 1/3 (maybe 1/2) the time it straddles the lane hashes then gets confuses jerking to the left or right trying to find a lane to settle on. It clearly behaves differently than in the older firmwares.

- The .28 version introduced two glitches into the car, for MX it would randomly spit out a Air Suspension warning and ask to take it to the service center.

- There are cases where I will be in AP and for no reason (no over pass, no car in front, nothing) and it would brake hard, slowing from 60 or 65 down to 35 within seconds. Someone asked about his in another form and reported the service center told them that the GPS street speed limit detection (the speed limit detection based on GPS data) was not working correctly and it would sometimes think you were on a residential road with a much lower speed limit.

- When the speed limit changes (slows down) the rather than gradually slow down the car would hard brake. This happened to me a couple of times and it literally throws you forward. EDIT: To be fair, this also happened to me once or twice on older firmware -- it may nor may not have improved/degraded. I have not used .28/.30 enough to say for sure.

Still needs a lot of work in my opinion. As much as I like what it did well, I would rather back out to 17.17.17 if I could.

I called the SC to try to revert to 17.17.17, unfortunately there is no going back =(.
Yep, here is the response from my email query to Tesla:

At this time, there is no path for vehicles to have firmware selectively downgraded to a past version. While we want you to enjoy the enhancements...

They then go on to request I document and note specific occurrences of when I believe it is not behaving correctly.... logical, looking for feedback. I will help out where I can.

- There are cases where I will be in AP and for no reason (no over pass, no car in front, nothing) and it would brake hard, slowing from 60 or 65 down to 35 within seconds. Someone asked about his in another form and reported the service center told them that the GPS street speed limit detection (the speed limit detection based on GPS data) was not working correctly and it would sometimes think you were on a residential road with a much lower speed limit.

- When the speed limit changes (slows down) the rather than gradually slow down the car would hard brake. This happened to me a couple of times and it literally throws you forward. EDIT: To be fair, this also happened to me once or twice on older firmware -- it may nor may not have improved/degraded. I have not used .28/.30 enough to say for sure.

Still needs a lot of work in my opinion. As much as I like what it did well, I would rather back out to 17.17.17 if I could.

Just got my MX on Monday and was on .28 and now on .30. I experienced the sudden hard braking where the car thinks the speed limit changed. Its done it multiple times now in the same spot on my way to work even after the .30 update. Also when the speed limit does change from say 55 to 30 the car sees the sign and brakes hard to get down to speed both on .28 and on .30. In the test drive I did a month back, that car did not have the speed limit change braking issue.

Just got my MX on Monday and was on .28 and now on .30. I experienced the sudden hard braking where the car thinks the speed limit changed. Its done it multiple times now in the same spot on my way to work even after the .30 update. Also when the speed limit does change from say 55 to 30 the car sees the sign and brakes hard to get down to speed both on .28 and on .30. In the test drive I did a month back, that car did not have the speed limit change braking issue.

Yes. I think they overlooked a few details in this update. And Musk's tweet suggested either a ground up rewrite or a massive overhaul.

In the places I personally noticed improvement I think they did very well -- but in the few areas where I think it was a step back are also disturbing enough so I want to back out.

Well, one interesting thing is that this release immediately is at semi-equality for both AP1 and AP2 cars:

upload_2017-6-29_16-54-28.png

28 never was close, with AP2 being around 10% all the time. So, they must think whatever the issue with AP2 has been fixed?

This sounds really dangerous... especially for the folks behind you. Random braking is never good, particularly from highway speeds to surface street speeds.

Reactions: jlarmstr
This sounds really dangerous... especially for the folks behind you. Random braking is never good, particularly from highway speeds to surface street speeds.

Yes, this is why I won't use it anymore at least until another update comes out, hoping they fix these issues. 17.17.17 was working fine for me. Drove it on a couple of extended road trips and used AP most of the way, only needed to disengage to exit for something or another.

seems like .30 patches some urgent things in .28 (is it the air suspension error that bugs?)... I got .28 installed while I was visiting Service Center 2 days ago on the loaner Model X AP2 I have for a week. so it was downloaded over service wifi as the car connected there most likely... I got notification about about this morning (and car was not connected to my home wifi) so it was downloaded over LTE pretty fast after original release... same with my car that stayed at service a week ago. It got 17.24.28 installed same day while in service center and now yesterday I got pop up on my cell phone app about new update (.30 most likely too) while car is already 3 days at auto body shop without wifi and not very close to Tesla Service Center either (I checked on map where Tesla dropped off my X)... so it seems it also downloaded over LTE - no one pressed to install it though yet.... I just installed .30 on the loaner and going to give it a try... however I wish I could go back to 17.17.x as the AS on 17.22.46 and 17.24.28 is not silky smooth but it more feels like step back in AS compared to 17.17.x... very undecisive... it goes back to original lane more frequent than 17.17.x or just hangs in the middle... it takes time before changing lane when clear and jerky on the curves... even on distance 1 it keeps far away from cars in front specially street driving it feels weird it stops so far behind car in front of you at lights... and then it has some delay to start moving when it turns green and car in front moves already... it just waits... not sure if everyone on these 3 versions feel the same? it is maybe a bit smoother when it comes to curves but definitely it doesn't keep lane on curves and has tendency to slip out on the outside a lot... :(