Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the update was only 4MB or so... prolly just a very minor change.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.PNG
    IMG_1547.PNG
    176.8 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the vids. What's the actual/typical speed on that road? At 30, I feel my bicycle with eyes closed can't mess much up...

yep this road is typically 30-35MPH (I don't do over 30 cuz I'm limited by AP :D)

I note your exaggeration, but my main point was the direct sunlight with curves in the road. my other high-speed options was not on my way home, lol, but i can post another video on the original "test road" that is use if you like.

Here's another video showing how well the tracking is with terrible road lines or no road lines. (I will try to post another video on a curvy road that i take with a small hill and nor road lines)

I think this is actually an example of Holistic Path Planning - HPP... a Mobileye powered feature of AP1 which works out free space and drivable space, and can drive in certain conditions without any traditional road markings. It's camera based, rather than ultrasonics.

AP2 takes a different approach I think, and actually was built from the ground up to look at drivable path vs in-path objects - then consider lane markings and so on.

However, Mobileye have been doing HPP for much longer than Tesla, and it's partly why AP1 currently does this so well.

Interesting reading about how they do some of this here

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Peteybabes
I think this is actually an example of Holistic Path Planning - HPP... a Mobileye powered feature of AP1 which works out free space and drivable space, and can drive in certain conditions without any traditional road markings. It's camera based, rather than ultrasonics.

AP2 takes a different approach I think, and actually was built from the ground up to look at drivable path vs in-path objects - then consider lane markings and so on.

However, Mobileye have been doing HPP for much longer than Tesla, and it's partly why AP1 currently does this so well.

Interesting reading about how they do some of this here

Awesome, thanks for this...I mention the sonar because you can see the it flashing up the yellow areas on the screen when i'm next to the curb (or kerb :) ). the other road i want to do a video on has much wider lanes and would only use HPP likely as the edge of the road is further away.

very happy with how this operates, but i know it's only a matter of time before before AP2.0 far surpasses this level of driving...

Elon has said in the past that cameras are 100 times better than a human and AP1.0 only uses 1 of them. just wait until all 8 of AP2.0's are turned on and you all will be rockstars!

Last edited:
Reactions: jlarmstr
I only have 17.17.4, but last night I was driving on a curvy freeway with lots of oncoming headlights. A few times I felt blinded and could barely see the curves but AP2 was reading the non-reflectorized lane markers extremely well the whole time!