Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you AP1 or 2? Any AP driving that is smoother?
AP2. I've gotten all of the recent updates pretty much the day they have dropped. I'm sure that will change soon enough...

I haven't had the chance to put many miles on it with the latest firmware, but the little that I did do seemed to be better in regards to the TACC not trying to frighten the crap out of everyone by braking at the last moment. That's probably a panacea effect however.

I've been generally happy with AP2 - no experience with AP1, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. It's not ready for prime time, but I'm really looking forward to a 500 mile trip week after next with it. Feels like the car is doing 80% of the mundane part of the driving.

Yeah I had a Model S AP1 and now an X AP2. Will say the X hasn't quite caught the accuracy of the S autopilot. My latest update to 17.26.76 did make TACC much smoother on braking then previous versions. Also seemed to fix the problems when in traffic where the car at a stop behind another car would try to steer around the other car disregarding lane markers. Still local roads feels way too unsafe like its trying to kill me, crossing over the median. I welcome the day when the side cameras keep track of the lane markers too and adjust the car accordingly. I hope we don't have to rely on GPS mapping as there will always be unknown roads not driving/mapped yet. Still hoping Elon's promise of coast-to-coast happens this year or at a minimum we see the car changing lanes on the freeway by itself and taking appropriate exits.

Yeah I had a Model S AP1 and now an X AP2. Will say the X hasn't quite caught the accuracy of the S autopilot. My latest update to 17.26.76 did make TACC much smoother on braking then previous versions. Also seemed to fix the problems when in traffic where the car at a stop behind another car would try to steer around the other car disregarding lane markers. Still local roads feels way too unsafe like its trying to kill me, crossing over the median. I welcome the day when the side cameras keep track of the lane markers too and adjust the car accordingly. I hope we don't have to rely on GPS mapping as there will always be unknown roads not driving/mapped yet. Still hoping Elon's promise of coast-to-coast happens this year or at a minimum we see the car changing lanes on the freeway by itself and taking appropriate exits.

Local roads are so far the biggest disparity to me between AP1 and AP2. AP1 makes mostly reasonable decisions in local conditions, but AP2 maybe goes 20 seconds before attempting to do something insane.

On the highways, I have to say, they're really really close now. AP2 is definitely superior since 17.26 if you drive at higher speeds (e.g above 70mph) on hilly and curvy roads. Those speeds seemed to push AP1 beyond its limits.

Local roads are so far the biggest disparity to me between AP1 and AP2. AP1 makes mostly reasonable decisions in local conditions, but AP2 maybe goes 20 seconds before attempting to do something insane.

On the highways, I have to say, they're really really close now. AP2 is definitely superior since 17.26 if you drive at higher speeds (e.g above 70mph) on hilly and curvy roads. Those speeds seemed to push AP1 beyond its limits.

Good to know. I’m not trying AP2 on some of the local roads in Tennessee and Alabama (some of which might be generous to call roads), but when I have done so, I can’t say that I’ve ever felt that it’s gone COMPLETELY off the rails. I can tell areas that is going to give it problems and yeah, it has problems and I take over. I’m not going to let it try to kill me, and perhaps I’m just not putting it into areas where it might.

Interstate - It’s pretty darn good. I’m thoroughly enjoying it there, and am most definitely over 70mph where appropriate (theoretically). I’m looking forward to refinements here, not major updates.

It FEELS Level 2 with some help needed.

FSD - I bought, I’m hopeful. I think they’ll make it. Timing, well, aren’t we operating on Musk time?

If I get it for parts of long trips on interstates and have to drive 30 minutes out of a 4 hour trip, I’ll be ecstatic honestly.