Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.76 AP2 auto lane change behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some have been talking about the lane changes being way too abrupt, while others have said they're totally fine. I've found that in my car at least, it really depends on speed, and I'm thinking that might be the difference in the experiences people have posted.

What I've found is at 80+ mph, the lane changes are indeed fairly abrupt. I wouldn't call them unsafe, at least on dry roads, but they're quicker than one would expect, and can be somewhat startling for any passengers in the car.

But at 70 mph and slower, I've found lane changes to be quick, but not unexpectedly so, and very smooth. In fact, I'd consider them just about ideal at these speeds.

Curious if others are seeing the same thing, with lower vs higher speeds.

[Started a new thread for this, since the 11-page thread on 17.26.76 has inevitably devolved into the usual nonconstructive "AP2 sucks" arguments...]

Some have been talking about the lane changes being way too abrupt, while others have said they're totally fine. I've found that in my car at least, it really depends on speed, and I'm thinking that might be the difference in the experiences people have posted.

What I've found is at 80+ mph, the lane changes are indeed fairly abrupt. I wouldn't call them unsafe, at least on dry roads, but they're quicker than one would expect, and can be somewhat startling for any passengers in the car.

But at 70 mph and slower, I've found lane changes to be quick, but not unexpectedly so, and very smooth. In fact, I'd consider them just about ideal at these speeds.

Curious if others are seeing the same thing, with lower vs higher speeds.

[Started a new thread for this, since the 11-page thread on 17.26.76 has inevitably devolved into the usual nonconstructive "AP2 sucks" arguments...]

Yep, I was just commenting to my wife yesterday that at 80 they feel pretty abrupt compared to what I'd do, but at 50 they're almost perfect. I hope they factor in speed, and maybe even give a little user configuration to how quickly people like to change lanes. I'm a believer in gettIng it done vs taking a country mile, but at 80 it's a bit too quick.