Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.76 New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got 17.26.76 OTA tonight. Mostly agree with assessments above:

- Freeway curves are better. Much smoother arc. (Sharp turns still aren't handled well with more abrupt braking than would be required).
- Lane changes are more aggressive. Not unsafe, but the first move is quick - it was surprising at first and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it later, but I got used to it.
- No phantom braking events.
- No display of cars in adjacent lanes or different icons of trucks, motorcycles, etc.
- Stopping was also smoother in my mind.

Finally, I also agree that ping-ponging has been reduced with one caveat. On I405 near Seattle, the carpool lane is usually separated with two double white lines (four lines in total). That seems to confuse the Autosteer such that it ping pong a lot - like it can't decide which double line is the true lane marker.

But whenever I got out of a lane with those markings and into a lane with just one line, it was MUCH smoother at staying in the center of the lane.

Local roads are still nervous experiences. It does seem to head rightward in some intersections but in others it tracks straighter. I would say its marginally better, hut not by much.

Reactions: IdaX
After installing I decided to view the manual on the touchscreen. With all the WARNING paragraphs, I would suggest that everyone take time and read the screens describing all the auto driving topics. Tesla mentions what works and what doesn't.

I had the same notes as were on the prior release (I took a photo below). What warnings did you see?

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 92
I just got this update and frankly I wish I didn't upgrade, tested briefly and was very, very disappointed specially by the new 45mph restriction when tesla doesn't detect a speed limit, I forced to go 45mph when the speed limit is 55mph on some of my local roads. This is a major issue and I would never upgrade if I had known this as their GPS speed data is often incorrect/missing at least in my neck of the woods.

Just finished first test with 17.26.76.
Braking is more worrisome. Had to override once when it seemed confused by stopped cars in a slight curve. Seemed to accelerated briefly during braking at other times. Comes much closer to the stopped car at higher speeds before getting to a stop.
The roads that I drove didn't limit my speed like on 17.17.4. I was able to set the speed to 55 in a 35 without complaint while using auto steer. In two instances that speed was reduced to +5mph when auto steer had already been operating at higher speed, and then allowed my to go back up after a short while. Roads where city, sometimes with a median and sometimes without, speed limits from 35 to 45. In one area, limit was not detected where it has been in the past.
Edit: Acceleration from a stop is painfully slow. I felt compelled to press the accelerator each time as traffic in front of and beside me was leaving me behind. I'd rather see this slowness on braking and the aggressiveness of braking moved to accelerating.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
Finally got mine, upgraded from 17.17.4, and drove 150 miles this morning. It can even handle Northern State Parkway (NSP) near me. NSP near me is only 2 lanes with almost no shoulder. The road continuously turning left and right. There are almost no straight road. It handled beautifully. Very smooth! I can still feel slight corrections every now and then.

Throttle control is quite different than before. Sometimes it is better than before and drive like a human. Sometimes it is worse. I can't tell what are the factors to make it work differently yet.

Lane change is much better. It change lane quickly and in one smooth motion. The motion it starts to change lane, it is quite abrupt. But better than the slow and hesitate movement like before.

Reactions: EinSV
It's a nice improvement for sure, carpool lanes need improvement (hopefully soon) but it's getting pretty darn good. Can't wait till they use the side cameras whenever that is.
A comment to note that whenever they do, you won't get the benefit unless you paid for FSD! Side camera use is only available as part of that package.

• Disagree
Reactions: IdaX and MP3Mike
Just finished first test with 17.26.76.
Braking is more worrisome. Had to override once when it seemed confused by stopped cars in a slight curve. Seemed to accelerated briefly during braking at other times. Comes much closer to the stopped car at higher speeds before getting to a stop.
The roads that I drove didn't limit my speed like on 17.17.4. I was able to set the speed to 55 in a 35 without complaint while using auto steer. In two instances that speed was reduced to +5mph when auto steer had already been operating at higher speed, and then allowed my to go back up after a short while. Roads where city, sometimes with a median and sometimes without, speed limits from 35 to 45. In one area, limit was not detected where it has been in the past.
Edit: Acceleration from a stop is painfully slow. I felt compelled to press the accelerator each time as traffic in front of and beside me was leaving me behind. I'd rather see this slowness on braking and the aggressiveness of braking moved to accelerating.

Additional details: There is a section of road on which the posted limit is 45 and the car limits auto steer to 50. There are segments before and after this section in which the posted limit is the same but the AP does not enforce this limit. It seems to be geofenced, not sure why.

There are sections of road that lack speed limit information where it used to exist. In these areas the auto steer is limited to 45.

That version appears to be from months ago, as the December 2016 date implies and the current description of EAP doesn't have any such description of which cameras are included.

Because of discussions of two central cameras being used for AP in general, and the rear camera always being active, it's been generally assumed that the three central cameras and the rear one are the ones 'included as active' for EAP and then the four side ones are added for FSD.

But, yes, the third central front one and the rear one could be only part of FSD as an autopilot function (not as a driver function for the rear one), and two side ones could then be included in EAP for side collision/blind spot detection, but I'm not aware of any current language describing that functionality.

That version of EAP posted above is very interesting as I don't remember that language about side cameras at all, I wonder if it was up for only a short period after AP2 was released?

upload_2017-7-8_16-3-43.png

and the rear camera always being active,

I haven't seen any discussion of the rear camera always being active for EAP. (Sure it is active for the driver to view anytime they want, but that doesn't mean that EAP will be using it at all.)

I have only seen information from Tesla about which 4 cameras are part of EAP once, so until Tesla makes some other announcement I will continue to trust what they said over what anyone on the Internet chooses to make up on their own and say.

In fact even the screen capture that you posted is likely saying the exact same thing as my older screen capture: "four cameras for greater accuracy, redundancy, and to see fast-approaching vehicles in the adjacent lanes." If there is a vehicle behind you the center rear camera would be next to worthless for seeing fast-approaching vehicles in the adjacent lanes.

On the AP page they list the Rear View Camera like this: "Not just for backing up safely, the rear view camera is now a contributing member of the Autopilot hardware suite with enhanced optics. The rear view camera is useful when performing complex parking maneuvers." and can only see 50 meters while the Rearward Looking Side Cameras are listed as: "Cameras monitor rear blind spots on both sides of the car, important for safely changing lanes and merging into traffic." and can see 100 meters. All of that agrees that with EAP using 4 cameras that it would be using two of the front cameras as well as the two rear facing side cameras. What we don't know is which of the three front cameras do they use... Main and Wide, or Main and Narrow?

Last edited:
I haven't seen any discussion of the rear camera always being active for EAP. (Sure it is active for the driver to view anytime they want, but that doesn't mean that EAP will be using it at all.)

I have only seen information from Tesla about which 4 cameras are part of EAP once, so until Tesla makes some other announcement I will continue to trust what they said over what anyone on the Internet chooses to make up on their own and say.

In fact even the screen capture that you posted is likely saying the exact same thing as my older screen capture: "four cameras for greater accuracy, redundancy, and to see fast-approaching vehicles in the adjacent lanes." If there is a vehicle behind you the center rear camera would be next to worthless for seeing fast-approaching vehicles in the adjacent lanes.

On the AP page they list the Rear View Camera like this: "Not just for backing up safely, the rear view camera is now a contributing member of the Autopilot hardware suite with enhanced optics. The rear view camera is useful when performing complex parking maneuvers." and can only see 50 meters while the Rearward Looking Side Cameras are listed as: "Cameras monitor rear blind spots on both sides of the car, important for safely changing lanes and merging into traffic." and can see 100 meters. All of that agrees that with EAP using 4 cameras that it would be using two of the front cameras as well as the two rear facing side cameras. What we don't know is which of the three front cameras do they use... Main and Wide, or Main and Narrow?
Very interesting, thanks! There was a whole thread a few months ago about the (then) current software using two of the front cameras (and which ones they were) by covering individual ones up. I can't recall which of the three was the final answer.

Interesting if the 'rear looking' cameras are in use, EAP doesn't have better blind spot/side collision warning alerts. A work in progress, as ever.

I appreciate the camera info update!

Just finished 1.5 hour freeway/highway drive. X 100D, 20", AP2, updated from 17.17.4.

Charged to 100%, which showed 293 rated miles instead of the old 301 rated miles. Sounds about right from what @verygreen found about the changed rated miles constant change.

The first two times I used auto lane change they were exactly like 17.17.4, big pause when straddling the lane line. After that they were smoother, though quick to start, but usually slowed at the end and had to correct a little to center within the new lane. Not very good, but I thought it was usable.

Traveled on I-17 and AZ-69 between Phoenix and Dewey AZ, fairly curvy high-speed roads. No problems using Autosteer, the curves were handled nicely. The lane lines on the IC display jumped around a little at times, and the car seemed to be following it gently. Not perfect, but I was willing to leave it on and my wife thought it was OK now. I think I wouldn't be embarrassed to show it off now.

I had the same notes as were on the prior release (I took a photo below). What warnings did you see?
The warnings are shown on the pages of the Owner's Manual. Click the "Manual" icon on the lower left when viewing Controls --> Settings. Click to the "Driver Assistance" section. Bring up each of the 8 topics of the Driver Assistance features. The list of warnings with some cautions are numerous with several for each feature.

Got 17.26.76 on Friday. I was on 17.18.50 previously. Even on 17.18.50 I found AutoPilot quite good - not perfect of course, but pretty darn good.

Freeways
With 17.26.76, I'd say it has improved a bit on freeways (it was always pretty good for me - limited ping ponging and auto braking and cruise has been about perfect). Now I feel it is even that much smoother. With 17.18.50, I would 'nudge' AutoPilot to give a bit more room on one side if the driver was also hugging that same divider line. So far in the first few days, I can say with 17.26.76 I have definitely cut down on the number of 'nudges' I have needed to do

Auto Lane-Change
Auto-lane change is faster/more aggressive as others have said. I think it's about dialed in...personally I think it should accelerate 2-3 MPH more as it changes lanes...that's how most people seem to do it. I think it does accelerate a little bit already but I could be wrong...I'll try to pay more attention next time. I still had it get 'stuck' mid lane change at least once...but it recovered faster than before. Great lane changes: 6. OK lane changes: 3. Poor lane changes: 1. Wouldn't change lanes when asked: 0. This last stat is one that the previous software wasn't great with...for inexplicable reasons AP would sometimes just ignore my lane change (and the entry lane had already been manually cleared by me, so it wasn't because it "saw" a car in the adjacent lane). In limited testing, I haven't seen that with the new software. But time will tell.

Local Roads
Very limited local road use yet, so take the following with a grain of salt. But...so far, much improved for me! Previously there was an in neighborhood road - it is a bit curvy with almost an "S" turn in the middle. I had used AP as a test 3 or 4 times before. After the first time (when it performed badly), I learned to only test there when there weren't peds or cyclists or oncoming traffic. With 17.18.50, it just could not handle that road and I always had to take over. It is the only road (so far - knock on wood) that the car ever crossed completely over the (painted) divider into the other lane. I could reproduce the problem in the 3 or 4 times I tried it there. After 4 failures, I gave up until I got 17.26.76. Today, I tried it twice - once in each direction. Both times, it stayed in it's lane around the curves. Yay! It is not smooth on this road - it's 'stair stepped' turning - or what others have described as "8 bit". Still...8-bit turning and staying in the lane is much better than crossing over into oncoming lane and forcing me to take over as it had been doing under 17.18.50 on that same stretch of road. So tentatively, I'd say some progress. I only tried it on one other road (which was pretty straight for a few miles. I have another local road that AP had some problems with before...I'll try that this evening and see if there are any improvements (or nah) on that one.

New update....17.26.76. What everyone else noted above: no significant improvement except perpendicular parking is really cool and actually worked!! (I had never seen it). Lane changing on the freeway is rather abrupt and was better in prior versions and almost unusable (startled passengers). Still bounces around on freeway lanes. Still quite jerky and generally unreliable on surface streets....they still haven't figured out how to track the car in front if lines momentarily disappear as in intersection. Not sure at this slow pace if FSD is ever possible.

Best thing for Elon to do is get MobileEye back and make it up to them.