Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.76 New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a good experience so far with 17.26.76 on my AP2 Model X. My use has been exclusively SoCal freeways (405, 5, 55, 101, 10).

TACC - Much smoother for me than prior versions. Sharp braking occurred twice (when the cars in front braked suddenly), but it didn't trigger my threshold of wanting to take over. Throttle modulation seems far less jerky, and in traffic the car moves smoothly with the flow. Before, it felt like the priority was always keeping a set distance from the car in front, but now it feels like it's analyzing more the environment (or perhaps looking further out) to smooth out the rise and fall in speed. I was able to use it for more than 75% of my highway journeys these last few days. I've found that just having TACC alone is a big stress reliever during freeway commutes.

Autosteer - I've observed a decent improvement. During low-speed driving in traffic, the car used to steer left and right as if it were searching aimlessly for the lane markings. The car still occasionally veers a bit, but nothing like before. Highway-speed stability is improved as well, with less erratic movement from the steering wheel. Even the dashboard display seems more stable.

Auto Lane Change - I still feel like auto lane change is too fast for my tastes. It seems, however, to operate with more confidence now, transitioning steadily from one lane to the next, whereas before it seemed move, pause, then move again to complete the change. Admittedly, though, I don't use this feature much because, again, it just feels a bit too fast for my comfort level.

Indicated Range: With just over 6,000 miles, my 90% is now 229, whereas it was a consistent 232 before this update.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Upgraded to this, my usual work route the car went into side of the freeway (fast lane side) for some odd reason. I had to take over or it would have kept going (possibly). I usually drive that stretch of the road in the same lane it's the first time it did it.

Lane change is abrupt, but noticed a couple of times where it took awhile to complete the lane change.

I did notice when driving next to large trucks the car would keep its lane better than before, it would sometime hug the side of the road the truck is in.

I was loving the newest firmware (17.26.76) until the auto steering behavior changed. Now, the car keeps the right side tires a few inches into the next lane. Interestingly, the car is aware of it's position, correctly indicating that it is over the line in the dashboard display. I've already reset the systems and the behavior stays. This didn't happen for the first two drives on the new firmware. SC is already scheduled for next week, but if anyone has ideas to fix it now I would love to hear them.

In my opinion, the 17.26.76 is far from "silky smooth". One thing I noticed, it appears that the amount of torque the steering system can apply to steering wheel has been increased - which translates in ability to make sharper turns (I'm not sure how I feel about that, I'd rather have the system to slow down as necessary to make the turn than to turn sharper at higher speed). Maybe that's why this update can take turns previous versions couldn't.