Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.76 New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a 120 mile trip today on 17.26.76, and it seems like mostly an improvement to me. I did at least 60 interstate miles without once falling out of AP. And the curves were noticeably smoother (but maybe not quite silky).

One thing that is slightly worse for me is the lane change, where it cuts over hard and then almost has to over-correct. I wouldn't mind a fast change, but would like them to be smooth. The current style probably looks crazy aggressive to other cars.

There's still a lot of room to improve on local roads. It still doesn't handle cure you 2-lane roads well, even at speeds down around 35mph.

Reactions: cybergates
Why? Makes it kind of unuseable in cases where I don't want to slow traffic or the car misreads the speed limit (which is often).
One thing I noticed is that autosteer stays with the set speed regardless of current limit. E.g. if you activate it in the 55mph zone and it's driving at 65mph (assuming you have a 10 mph offset in settings) when the cameras read the lower speed limit, say 45 mph, autosteer will continue at 65mph unless you throttle it down manually via the stalk. So in my experience it's not always tied to current speed limit - just the one when it was activated.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
One thing that is slightly worse for me is the lane change, where it cuts over hard and then almost has to over-correct. I wouldn't mind a fast change, but would like them to be smooth. The current style probably looks crazy aggressive to other cars.

Slight improvement on the highways, but I completely agree with scottyd and the many others who have commented on the auto-lane-change. It is now worse.

Lane changing went from slow and tentative with 17.17.x to Ricky Bobby shake and bake with 17.26.76. It's terrible. How does Tesla run this new version through its paces and conclude, yup that's what we're looking for!?

One thing I noticed is that autosteer stays with the set speed regardless of current limit. E.g. if you activate it in the 55mph zone and it's driving at 65mph (assuming you have a 10 mph offset in settings) when the cameras read the lower speed limit, say 45 mph, autosteer will continue at 65mph unless you throttle it down manually via the stalk. So in my experience it's not always tied to current speed limit - just the one when it was activated.
That's not correct. AP2 does not currently read traffic signs - the car operates solely based on GPS data and very often the data for those signs are off or missing completely. So, what you experienced is a stretch of a road for which the database does not have correct data yet, hence your car continued to proceed at the last set speed. If the database had the correct info, your car would've slowed down to the speed limit + the offset.

Reactions: boaterva
That's not correct. AP2 does not currently read traffic signs - the car operates solely based on GPS data and very often the data for those signs are off or missing completely. So, what you experienced is a stretch of a road for which the database does not have correct data yet, hence your car continued to proceed at the last set speed. If the database had the correct info, your car would've slowed down to the speed limit + the offset.
I have AP1 - sorry should have said earlier. Will update my signature to avoid future confusion.

Observations (hw1 vehicle):

Smoother lane change
Haven't put in on highway yet but in town vehicle stayed in middle of lane (but early in drive was a little shakier in staying straight in lane...particularly in far left lane)
Less shudder
Ability to drive more than +5 in a divided street (this one is local, divided road with 3 lanes either side)
Nav refresh seems a little faster
Lost distance markings to object when parking....had to system reboot to get it working
USB music: no change to less than optimal approach
XM Radio: not fixed. Still can't see station list and need to scroll one station at a time or use favorites

Last edited:
I was loving the newest firmware (17.26.76) until the auto steering behavior changed. Now, the car keeps the right side tires a few inches into the next lane. Interestingly, the car is aware of it's position, correctly indicating that it is over the line in the dashboard display. I've already reset the systems and the behavior stays. This didn't happen for the first two drives on the new firmware. SC is already scheduled for next week, but if anyone has ideas to fix it now I would love to hear them.
Something else is going on here, this is the first report of this type. AP keeps car more centered than any other versions from my experience.

You can't assume AP will perform the same for others on a different road, and difference traffic conditions.

This is what is driving my assessment:

Interestingly, the car is aware of it's position, correctly indicating that it is over the line in the dashboard display. I've already reset the systems and the behavior stays.

If AP is locked into the lane and measuring the car relatively the same then it should center otherwise there is something wrong. I have yet to find a situation in various poor or good markings where it does this. True, I have not experienced every condition, but again, for AP to work as advertised it needs to behave under the variety of conditions.

Audi Unveils Self-Driven A8, Will Big Carmakers Overtake Tesla's Autopilot?

Astonishing...

"Tesla will have to continuously keep on advancing its offerings, if it wants to maintain its lead in self-driving technology."​

I do sometimes wonder if Tesla is aware of such profound statements.

"Furthermore, while it is currently ahead, Tesla doesn’t have the capital that these companies have, neither does it have their capability of running tests across the globe"

This was a gem too. They failed to mention that even though a lot of the big automakers are sitting on piles of capital, they're making relatively low investments in R&D and are focusing more on things like stock buybacks. Also, overlooking recent comments that Tesla has an ever growing fleet of "mobile data centers" around the world that have started "testing" via data collection on far more roads than any other company is currently capable of.

I'm also surprised that Audi is so vocally championing the idea that you can watch tv in the car and not pay attention. I sort of feel like they might want to have the system in use for a few million miles before encouraging that. Many thought Tesla was irresponsible in releasing Autopilot in the first place, but they've gone through many lengths to make sure it's being used responsibly and they constantly encourage and basically force you to stay alert. Along comes Audi with version 1.0 of their system and they're encouraging drivers to go ahead and ignore the road.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
spiderman ap2.jpg

"Furthermore, while it is currently ahead, Tesla doesn’t have the capital that these companies have, neither does it have their capability of running tests across the globe"

This was a gem too. They failed to mention that even though a lot of the big automakers are sitting on piles of capital, they're making relatively low investments in R&D and are focusing more on things like stock buybacks. Also, overlooking recent comments that Tesla has an ever growing fleet of "mobile data centers" around the world that have started "testing" via data collection on far more roads than any other company is currently capable of.

I'm also surprised that Audi is so vocally championing the idea that you can watch tv in the car and not pay attention. I sort of feel like they might want to have the system in use for a few million miles before encouraging that. Many thought Tesla was irresponsible in releasing Autopilot in the first place, but they've gone through many lengths to make sure it's being used responsibly and they constantly encourage and basically force you to stay alert. Along comes Audi with version 1.0 of their system and they're encouraging drivers to go ahead and ignore the road.

"I'm also surprised that Audi is so vocally championing the idea that you can watch tv in the car and not pay attention"

NTSB & USA legal system will ensure that doesn't happen....

May 2017 build took delivery 6/2/2017. Was running 17.17.17, updated to 17.26.76 yesterday (7/10/17). I live in a gated community with winding roads, 25 mph speed limit, very light traffic, well marked lanes, breaks in the lane markings for the side roads. Very well maintained. The original 17.17.17 software was fun to demonstrate to friends and relatives driving in the gated community. Occasionally, vehicle would "hunt" a bit when going through some curves and where the side roads intersected but was never a problem. Was fun, never scary. With the 17.26.76 updated software now installed, the exact same roads, the exact same speed, 25 mph, won't auto steer 5 seconds before making a sudden hard left turn. Constantly "hunts" for the road. Slows down and brakes on it's own. Additionally on roads I use daily with a 55 mph speed limit, the 17.17.17 software did very well, no issues, now with 17.26.76, exact same roads (I use the same route every day to care for my 90 year old parents) I'm now limited to 45 mph. No way to over ride it. Again speed limit is and has been 55. Wish I could go back to 17.17.17. Also, not sure if it's connected or coincidence, my key fob stopped being recognized with the update (really don't think it's connected but have to go to the service center to get it "reconfigured", 3 hour round trip). Fortunately I read the manual and knew where to place the key fob to get into the vehicle and get it started. The spare fob is working. Only had the car 6 weeks with 1200 miles on it. I do love the vehicle, not my first rodeo with an electric car.

Reactions: ABC2D
On old firmware(17.17.17) auto lane change seemed to initiate as soon as you pressed the turn signal. But the process of completing the lane change was fairly slow.

On new fimrware(17.26.76) auto lane change seems to wait ~1second between pressing the turn signal and the initiation of the lane change. But once it initiates the lane change it seems like it has the goal of completing it as quickly as possible.

Not sure what they were trying to accomplish with this update.

Just finished a long trip with 17.26.76. Changing lanes is faster, which I like.

Autosteer feels like it hunts more for the lanes. I drive with my hands on the steering wheel with AP and have noticed the wheel makes more tiny left and right shifts now with 17.26.76 than it did with 17.17.4. If I didn't have my hands on the wheel I don't think I would have really noticed the subtle shifting while sitting in the car. I am wondering if this update turned on an extra camera or something. The behavior makes me think of someone alternating opening and closing both eyes to see. Left eye open, right closed--left closed, right open.

Interestingly it also modulates the speed more instead of blindly driving up to the set max speed. Several times on the highway I had the speed set and it would maintain a speed just 1-2 miles below my set speed, even though the car directly in front of me was clearly beyond my distance threshold. The only thing I could think of was there were cars on the adjacent lanes which it may have been picking up. These were straight highway stretches.

It seems more aware of the adjacent traffic in front to the left and right, and had one glitch where the car thought a truck was crossing into my lane from the right, but it was just a small shadow of the truck crossing the line. All in all, it worked well and just finished a 5 hour trip feeling quite rested.

Biggest issue is the other cars and drivers who kept encroaching on my lane.

This is what is driving my assessment:

If AP is locked into the lane and measuring the car relatively the same then it should center otherwise there is something wrong. I have yet to find a situation in various poor or good markings where it does this. True, I have not experienced every condition, but again, for AP to work as advertised it needs to behave under the variety of conditions.

This is definitely not road conditions. The same behavior happens on all roads, all lanes, all lighting conditions. I see multiple Teslas every day here, so if our roads had some special sauce screwing this up other's would have reported as well.

It's also interesting that the vehicle knows that it isn't in the center of the lane and continues to drive this way. I even allowed it about half a mile to see if it would eventually snap out of it, I hugged the curb for half a mile with the best performance coming on a slight curve when the car got inside the lane for a few feet.

If this were a damaged sensor, I would expect the dash to show the car centered. If this were a change in AP software, I'd expect more reports (I've seen one other). I certainly hope that the SC has an explanation after fixing it. It's quite frustrating to be without lane keeping for a week, I didn't realize how often I use it.

May 2017 build took delivery 6/2/2017. Was running 17.17.17, updated to 17.26.76 yesterday (7/10/17). I live in a gated community with winding roads, 25 mph speed limit, very light traffic, well marked lanes, breaks in the lane markings for the side roads. Very well maintained. The original 17.17.17 software was fun to demonstrate to friends and relatives driving in the gated community. Occasionally, vehicle would "hunt" a bit when going through some curves and where the side roads intersected but was never a problem. Was fun, never scary. With the 17.26.76 updated software now installed, the exact same roads, the exact same speed, 25 mph, won't auto steer 5 seconds before making a sudden hard left turn. Constantly "hunts" for the road. Slows down and brakes on it's own. Additionally on roads I use daily with a 55 mph speed limit, the 17.17.17 software did very well, no issues, now with 17.26.76, exact same roads (I use the same route every day to care for my 90 year old parents) I'm now limited to 45 mph. No way to over ride it. Again speed limit is and has been 55. Wish I could go back to 17.17.17. Also, not sure if it's connected or coincidence, my key fob stopped being recognized with the update (really don't think it's connected but have to go to the service center to get it "reconfigured", 3 hour round trip). Fortunately I read the manual and knew where to place the key fob to get into the vehicle and get it started. The spare fob is working. Only had the car 6 weeks with 1200 miles on it. I do love the vehicle, not my first rodeo with an electric car.
My experience with 17.26.76 is exactly as yours - worse than previous software (I think I was on 17.24.28). The lane hunting is more pronounced and also much sharper.

As far as your FOB, did you try replacing the battery? I know you said that the car is only 6 weeks old, but who knows how old is the battery in that fob. It's worth the try before taking 3 hour round trip.