Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh, that's going to wrench things up a lot. I'll see what I can do tomorrow, but this is a bad week.
I'm hoping the 2017.28 c528869 is actually supposed to be 17.28.27. Only time will tell, but a few cars have been updated to 17.28.27 and then within a few minutes they change to 2017.28 c528869. Hopefully it goes back to the i.i.i format just to keep things simple.

Almost makes you wonder if the Apple guy that only lasted 6 months bugged the crap out of the software on the way out the door....

Right because it’s totally not suspicious to see commits from the VP as he is being shown the door....

More likely than not, he drove a number of misguided efforts that backfired (e.g. rewriting the neural net, revamping infrastructure and process, per his resume). Maybe eventually 17.26.79 will lead towards a better AP2 but in the short term what customers want to see is steady forward progress, not 5 steps back so that it might make 6 steps forward in a year.

Right because it’s totally not suspicious to see commits from the VP as he is being shown the door....

More likely than not, he drove a number of misguided efforts that backfired (e.g. rewriting the neural net, revamping infrastructure and process, per his resume). Maybe eventually 17.26.79 will lead towards a better AP2 but in the short term what customers want to see is steady forward progress, not 5 steps back so that it might make 6 steps forward in a year.

Possible, but clearly there was a major mismatch and that's why they parted ways. Looking at the majority of the complaining on this forum, AP 1 and 2 are both worse than they had been in the past (I don't personally have a problem with it), and the guy lasted 6 months. If he were doing a bangup job steering things the right direction, he'd still be there.

I doubt it was something along the lines of "hang on a sec, guys, let me commit these changes before I clean out my desk" and more along the lines of weeks (or several months) of the writing being on the wall and the guy throwing in crap code (or allowing crap code to go in).

I dunno... but all I know is that there seems to be consensus that the software has regressed, and this happened on his watch, and they parted ways pretty quickly.

I dunno... but all I know is that there seems to be consensus that the software has regressed, and this happened on his watch, and they parted ways pretty quickly.

I agree with this part, but given his 6 month career at Tesla, I don’t think he had enough time (nor Elon would give him time) to realize he is slowly declining and have time to plan a sabotage. I still think it’s far more likely that the things that he prioritized (rewrites/redesigns) flopped despite his best intentions, and the “Silky Smoothness” was the last straw.Yeah we saw a little bit of a hint of silky smoothness, but you can’t drive with this update for an hour and still have a glowing opinion.

Reactions: NerdUno

Old adage: Don't bother looking for ingenious conspiracies when simple incompetence adequately explains everything that's happening.

Tesla is stuck with a chief executive that seems uninterested in telling the truth and communicates only via blustering tweets, and a bickering team that can't execute. Why does that sound so familiar?

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
I was just able to try out 2017.28. Oh. My. God. It's like night and day. Lane changes are just as assertive and immediate, but perfectly smooth. It handles lane splits and merges with no problem. I let it take a freeway exit with sharp curves and it stayed perfectly within the lane the entire way.

I guess I should note this was freeway at full freeway speeds. Behind a guy at a stop light, it was jerky still. But looks like they fully solved highway driving.

I was just able to try out 2017.28. Oh. My. God. It's like night and day. Lane changes are just as assertive and immediate, but perfectly smooth. It handles lane splits and merges with no problem. I let it take a freeway exit with sharp curves and it stayed perfectly within the lane the entire way.

I guess I should note this was freeway at full freeway speeds. Behind a guy at a stop light, it was jerky still. But looks like they fully solved highway driving.

I'll be thrilled if you're right.

Reactions: croman

2017.28.26? Did you get it late relative to others? My update showed up a week ago and I thought it was working better than the previous version I had (version 17.17.4). I've been surprised by all of the negative reports on this thread.

2017.28.26? Did you get it late relative to others? My update showed up a week ago and I thought it was working better than the previous version I had (version 17.17.4). I've been surprised by all of the negative reports on this thread.

No, 2017.28 is the full version. Either a mistake or they're using a new versioning scheme(it also includes what looks like a git hash I don't want to bother copying). I upgraded to it from 17.26.76.