Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The king is naked, I mean there are no map tiles in AP. There are references in the new atlas app to do that.
There's map tile lookup and capabilities to download them, but the /maps directory is empty (at least for me) and atlas process is preprimed with only fremont map tile (that is nonetheless no present, I only see the pathname).
Getting updated maps in CID was easy, but on ap it's different and I am not sure I can actually get it to download at least one tile.
Well there you have it, placebo effect!

Thank you very much as always :)

Got 2017.28.c
Did a 300 km highway trip now with fresh install. Feels really good, they fixed the auto lane change. Much nicer, less hesitant but comfortable and quick. (sorry, didn't bring the monkey to illustrate). Could be faster to start lane change after passing adjacent car i.e. less safety distance.
Car does not hug left lane marker no more.

Still some issues to fix:
- undulations in the road surface (e.g. Road rise above a water tunnel or similar) makes the car swerve. Not comfortable at speed and will be a huge trouble in slippery conditions.
- Phantom speed reductions for campers/truck/vans a few meters ahead in outside adjacent lane (in turns).
AP2 is more confident closer to speed limit.
Had quite a lot of AP cancellations because of these issues.

I can now call my passengers and tell them Tesla fixed the frighting lane changes with the recent "c" version. A drive to San Diego gave lots of drive time on the old version Wednesday and the new version on Thursday. Almost flawless during the day, but the northbound I-5 at night just south of San Juan Capistrano was a problem. Perhaps dips in the pavement threw off AP2. The steering was erratic and unlike the day before. The problem with comparisons can be the lane one is in. Just remember that construction and unique HOV lane markings may not be normal for AP2. Keep holding onto the wheel and be ready to take over.

Reactions: mach.89
2017.28 c is much better, but far from "good" or even "as good as AP1". I have so many phantom-braking events, swerving laterally while braking, delays for lane change etc. that the car does not build up the same confidence as AP1 cars do. In my AP1 Model S it is quite hard to stay focused on the road because it is just like sitting in a train, but with AP2 it feels like you really have to stay alert.

What really annoys me is that now almost all secondary roads are limited to the exact posted speed. No more "+5mph" possible! So I have to keep my foot on the accelerator all the time, which makes it more dangerous because the car will not brake anymore with TACC.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: TaoJones and oktane
By secondary roads I mean all roads not being divided highways. I am from Switzerland, maybe it is different in the US?

With AP1 or the early AP2 software versions it was around 10% of the secondary roads having speed restrictions, now it is about 90%.

AP1 was perfect early last year but now AP2 steadily declines in its usefulness with all these restrictions... This trend has got to be turned around!

AP2 is getting significantly better every 4-6 weeks.

No it is not. That's the point. It got worse over the last few weeks.

The latest update did undo some of the regression, but introduced new limitations.

And when I ordered my 2017 Model S in November and upgraded from my 2016 Model S, the website made me believe that they will reach AP1 parity with AP2 by the end of December 2016 and we start to see full autonomy-features by summer 2017. But we are still not even close to parity to AP1! I paid for full autonomy, but it might be another year till I see anything useful coming from that extra purchase.

No it is not. That's the point. It got worse over the last few weeks.

The latest update did undo some of the regression, but introduced new limitations.

And when I ordered my 2017 Model S in November and upgraded from my 2016 Model S, the website made me believe that they will reach AP1 parity with AP2 by the end of December 2016 and we start to see full autonomy-features by summer 2017. But we are still not even close to parity to AP1! I paid for full autonomy, but it might be another year till I see anything useful coming from that extra purchase.

Yes you got royally scammed, Tesla style. Just like the rest of us.

is there anything that stops you from selling your hated tesla and buying a new lexus?

It's all talk out of these guys. They don't have the guts to sell their Teslas, as they just want to come to the Tesla forum and whine about their car in hopes that Tesla will change their course because of a few squeaky wheels. Really, they're just drama queens looking for attention.

I was just drunk posting the absurd, trying to keep up with oktane. Hmmm octane. Will the real GASMAN please stand up?

The Model S is the only car I've ever driven that drives better than it looks. It also looks better than most the cars I've driven. Except for maybe the yellow pinto. I think it drove better than it looked.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ahkahn
It's all talk out of these guys. They don't have the guts to sell their Teslas, as they just want to come to the Tesla forum and whine about their car in hopes that Tesla will change their course because of a few squeaky wheels. Really, they're just drama queens looking for attention.

Well, Tesla will certainly not change their course because of apologists and (ego) strokers.

Selling a car has nothing to do with guts it is tapping out. Standing up for what is right against a corrupt company and against people like you who don't believe that everyone should be allowed to express their opinion freely (no matter if it agrees with your perspective), now that is what I call guts.

Name calling and belittling is what I call cowardice.

Additionally, I am happy to sell my car if Tesla buys the car back, which they had declined. So here we are...

Last edited:
Reactions: Prefect and daktari
Well, Tesla will certainly not change their course because of apologists and (ego) strokers.

Selling a car has nothing to do with guts it is tapping out. Standing up for what is right against a corrupt company and against people like you who don't believe that everyone should be allowed to express their opinion freely (no matter if it agrees with your perspective), now that is what I call guts.

Name calling and belittling is what I call cowardice.

Additionally, I am happy to sell my car if Tesla buys the car back, which they had declined. So here we are...

I have no problem with you expressing your feelings and opinions, that's fine. But, the fact that you still drive a car that you purchased from a "corrupt company" and refuse to sell it simply makes you look like a buffoon. You chose to do business with them, and continue to own their product. Put your money where your mouth is, sell it, and chock it up as a learning experience. It would strengthen your case.

Furthermore, Tesla won't buy back your car. Why should they care? You've enjoyed the use of it for however long, put miles on it, and depreciated the value of it. You've gotten use of it. Now put your money where your mouth is and sell it.

Reactions: Turing