Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I'm already too invested in EV with a massive solar array 2X what my typical electrical usage would otherwise be. Because there is no other EV I could currently tolerate to drive at the moment. I'm stuck with you all for now, unfortunately until another comparable EV becomes available. As you know, despite the flaws, I like the car just fine and gotten used to its shortcomings. Love not having to go to the gas station especially.

In case it's unclear from my posts, I do not like Tesla as a company at all. They are liars and cheats.

Hey, so sorry to bump this thread, but I felt compelled to follow-up with some interesting findings.

I'd remarked about some issues with AP after the update in the title. I ended up taking the car into the SC. They did a few things for me: 1, they pushed the update to my car (c528869), and 2, they recalibrated the radar. I joked with the tech when I picked up the car that they were just saying that to make me feel better. He replied, "Oh, no, it was WAY off." So they're either good at BSing customers, or there really was a problem with the calibration of that component. On the drive home (and in the two weeks since), I haven't had a single issue with FCW, AEB, AP, whatever other feature that had previously not worked to the point of being a safety issue.

While I'd like to say that I'm posting this to encourage others with similar issues to drop by the SC and have them take a look, it's probably more to respond to all of the posters who basically said, "you're holding it wrong" instead of consider that maybe, just maybe, it was the car.

Hey, so sorry to bump this thread, but I felt compelled to follow-up with some interesting findings.

I'd remarked about some issues with AP after the update in the title. I ended up taking the car into the SC. They did a few things for me: 1, they pushed the update to my car (c528869), and 2, they recalibrated the radar. I joked with the tech when I picked up the car that they were just saying that to make me feel better. He replied, "Oh, no, it was WAY off." So they're either good at BSing customers, or there really was a problem with the calibration of that component. On the drive home (and in the two weeks since), I haven't had a single issue with FCW, AEB, AP, whatever other feature that had previously not worked to the point of being a safety issue.

While I'd like to say that I'm posting this to encourage others with similar issues to drop by the SC and have them take a look, it's probably more to respond to all of the posters who basically said, "you're holding it wrong" instead of consider that maybe, just maybe, it was the car.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that the major issues people are reporting(wildly incorrect positioning in lanes, frequent automatic disengaging, etc) are the result of similar issues, and that Tesla generally has a big problem with QC in their factory. That's good news for owners(if you have issues at all, a fix is a SC appointment away), but really bad news for Tesla. And something they need to fix ASAP. If the Model 3 has similar issues, they're SC's are going to get completely overwhelmed.

At this point I would consider the following issues to be "normal" for the current release:

1. Movement towards the edge of the lane in stop and go traffic on corners.
2. Occasional issues staying in lane going through intersections(particularly on curves)
3. Erratic behavior on steep hill crests
4. Occasionally following cracks or old painted over lines as if they were lane lines
5. Occasional oscillations in very wide lanes
6. Failure to stop automatically when approaching a stopped vehicle from very far away or around a corner
7. Going out of lane on VERY sharp corners
8. VERY slight oscillations when going straight(I can't feel this, but I've seen others mention it and my wife swears she can feel it)

Anything outside that is abnormal and probably worth an SC visit.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that the major issues people are reporting(wildly incorrect positioning in lanes, frequent automatic disengaging, etc) are the result of similar issues, and that Tesla generally has a big problem with QC in their factory. That's good news for owners(if you have issues at all, a fix is a SC appointment away), but really bad news for Tesla. And something they need to fix ASAP. If the Model 3 has similar issues, they're SC's are going to get completely overwhelmed.

At this point I would consider the following issues to be "normal" for the current release:

1. Movement towards the edge of the lane in stop and go traffic on corners.
2. Occasional issues staying in lane going through intersections(particularly on curves)
3. Erratic behavior on steep hill crests
4. Occasionally following cracks or old painted over lines as if they were lane lines
5. Occasional oscillations in very wide lanes
6. Failure to stop automatically when approaching a stopped vehicle from very far away or around a corner
7. Going out of lane on VERY sharp corners
8. VERY slight oscillations when going straight(I can't feel this, but I've seen others mention it and my wife swears she can feel it)

Anything outside that is abnormal and probably worth an SC visit.
@MarcusMaximus - to clarify - please tell us which build you are on.

I have posted this note in both the .c528869 thread and this one so the interested parties can take a look:

As a recent Tesla Model S owner who is in love with the technology, performance and future potential it was of interest to see if we could be more quantitative on the improvements of the autopilot firmware releases. There are many qualitative comments about the good and bad of autopilot releases which makes sense but not much score keeping which may be helpful to the Tesla engineers to confirm performance and prioritize changes.

I apologize in advance for the long videos. I'm guessing only my fellow geeks would be interested but this is an experiment and I would like your feedback to see if this is useful and any recommendations for improvements. I'm sure we can make this analysis better over time.

The initial launch of this XGeek AP Scorecard comes in a 3 part video which should be watched in sequence.

A playlist has been created to allow for easy sequencing: Tesla Autopilot Firmware Scorecard - YouTube

Or the individual urls for the videos are below:
- Part 1: Introduction (
)
- Part 2: Release 17.26.76 (
)
- Part 3: Release 2017.28.c528869 and comparison (
)

I would like to recognize the people who created invaluable tools that easily enabled data output from Android phones and for that data to be visualized with little effort.

Androsensor
AndroSensor for Android

DatPlot
DatPlot - From raw data to report ready plots in under five minutes

Enjoy!