Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgot to mention: On a 45 MPH 2 lane road with a dedicated continuous left hand turning lane, leading vehicles pulling into the turning lane caused very heavy TACC slowdowns, almost as if the car thought they might turn back. Weird.

Here in the Northeast we have "highways" or "Interstates". We travel on I-95, not "the 95".

The use of "Freeway" is not a "California" thing, it's someone at Tesla's person preference.

I've lived in the Bay Area and Southern California for almost 40 years and most people call them Highways and Interstates (depending on if they are talking about a state highway, or interstate highway). I rarely hear anyone call them "Freeways". Also, most people say "I-5", but some say "the 5" depending on context.

Got updated last night, was on 17.24.30, previously AP1 for 3 months. I would say basic lane and distance keeping is working pretty well, almost indistinguishable from AP1. Worked fairly well on local roads and while it did wobble a bit when it goes across intersections, it found the lane as it crossed over ok. At this point I would say it is near if not at parity with AP1 on the above basic functions. Good job Tesla, a bit late, but good. Let's keep going so we can get to the enhanced part of AP.

Issues I noticed:
Speed limit is not correct sometimes, AP1 would read signs and this one uses some static database. As a result, it sometimes makes AP2 useless as it thinks he road is slower than it should've and limits it to limit plus 10kmph. Interestingly, there are there sections where it allows me to exceed 10kmph even though it was not a limited access freeway.

Auto lane change is too abrupt. I can see how some people may like it to be assertive and without lag, especially when one needs to time a gap in the traffic. However is not a very smooth experience and feels bad. I wish there was a configuration setting we can use to tune it (sport vs comfort).

Reactions: Doctt
Personally, I would hope people are not using automatic driving where conditions are tricky.

1. Its not automatic driving.

2. Its a driver assist and I like it assisting me when driving in bad weather. It actually sees really well thanks to radar (better than us).

3. If/when/ever FSD is available, it can't be rightfully called FSD if it can't fully self drive in most conditions.

I can't believe no one has noticed that, at least around me, the geofence for +5 is down. I accidentally discovered this when my car shot me forward from 40mph to 50mph in a 35 zone and then, about 2 miles later, slowed me back down to 40mph (correct +5).

This should please the anti +5 limit folks. I think its arbitrary but some limit makes sense to me. You can always drive yourself if you need more on a given road but having it change speeds so much is a big issue.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
I can't believe no one has noticed that, at least around me, the geofence for +5 is down. I accidentally discovered this when my car shot me forward from 40mph to 50mph in a 35 zone and then, about 2 miles later, slowed me back down to 40mph (correct +5).

This should please the anti +5 limit folks. I think its arbitrary but some limit makes sense to me. You can always drive yourself if you need more on a given road but having it change speeds so much is a big issue.

Funny. I was just coming here to report this, as I had not seen it anywhere else. Just did some local driving in a 45 at 55mph. Actually was not too jerky, but still need to pay attention for sure.

Reactions: croman
I will happily stop my Tesla negativity when either 1. Tesla gives me a refund as I had asked or 2. Autopilot works as advertised, ie. "enhanced" compared to AP1. Oh yea, but regardless of EAP I'll still take that refund on FSD which no can can claim is ever happening on this hardware.

Just for the record, this still will not make me "whole" since I bought a car and have used it for many months now without the benefits of falsely advertised autonomous or safety features.

Reactions: Matias
Just drove around 100 highway miles on the latest FW and here are my observations:
-Autosteer: improved on curves with much less ping ponging but somewhat more ping ponging on straight stretches (not bothersome but noticeable)
-Auto lane change: more jerky than before especially at higher speeds, but had 2 incidences where car jerked back in the starting lane with no cars in the lane I was trying to merge into. Also I noticed a new bug where the dotted lines show on the outer edge of the lane I'm changing to as opposed to in between lanes once the car crosses the midline markings.
-Display: better at keeping the followed car in lane (before, the car ahead used to jump from one lane to the other especially if further away). Also like others noted, the display doesn't show anymore more than one car ahead (used to show 2).
-TACC: takes longer to reach set limit especially the last mile (if set at 75, it stays at 74 for few seconds before it eventually reaches 75)
-Speed limits display: as others pointed out, many roads have wrong speed limits and many other don't have any (much more inaccurate than before)
-Perpendicular parking: seems to only work if there is one empty space between 2 parked cars as car obviously doesn't see the marking on the ground. Tried it once but I had to aborted it because I felt like the car was going to hit the parked car on the passenger side.
-Auto brightness: works like a charm, love it, should have been added long time ago.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
'Freeways' are a California thing. It was in response to those 'Turnpikes' in the Northeast that charged to use. Our limited access roads were free.

My point was not to criticize the choice of words. It was Tesla's assumption that all limited-access roads are called freeways is the tip of the iceberg of their obliviousness. The iceberg itself is the failure to function in wintry road conditions.

Many companies are working on self-driving cars, and some are talking about building them with no controls for a human driver. Such cars will obviously need to function everywhere a human driver now can. Given Tesla's painfully slow progress and inability, release after release, to keep its AP2 system from lurching toward oncoming traffic on local roads and braking for overpasses on highways, it's clear that it will soon be surpassed by those with more resources and more focus. They're going it alone while other Silicon Valley companies are wisely teaming up with major manufacturers.

By the way, I think the bullying of @oktane on this thread is really reprehensible. Those of us who bought EAP Teslas in 4Q 2016 were lied to and cheated, and the problem won't be dismissed by nonsensical tweets about "silky smoothness" from Mr. Musk or ad hominem attacks here.

With 17.26.76 in a wide rollout, we can ask the question which is better now: AP1 or AP2?

Before now (I was on 17.17.17) I suggest it was no contest, AP1 was still superior. But with 17.26.76 I think the answer depends on what is important to you. For me, I lean to AP2 being superior. That’s because for me, where I use TACC and EAP is on divided highways, I’m not concerned with using those features in city driving, and only in a small way with driving on non-divided highways.

On divided highways:

(1) AP2 stays more consistently in the centre of the lane.

(2) Slowing down in AP2 is smoother, and starts earlier.

(3) Cars cutting in are handled better and without fuss in AP2.

(4) I agree with others that automatic lane changes in AP2 are too abrupt—but I think they are safer in that the car moves right to the centre of the lane. In AP1 often the car seemed to move to the outside of the incoming lane before moving back into the centre, which is nervous-making if there’s a car or truck beyond. So I’ll take the aggressive lane change (hopefully that is softened soon) in return for a safer change.

(5) I agree that there is still a tiny jerkiness on curves, and even very slightly on straightaways, but it’s negligible, and a trade-off for keeping the car more closely centred, which for me is appreciated.

Now some silly things

(6) Here in Canada, it still doesn’t properly display the speed limit—what it displays is 1.6 times higher than the actual limit. The car knows what the real speed limit is (ie it sets the TACC speed correctly) but still displays the wrong speed. It’s a kilometers to miles conversion problem, which I’m surprised they haven’t already corrected.

(7) I don’t know if this is an AP2 thing, or a move away from Garmin to TomTom thing, but I’ve encountered a number of well-marked but non-divided roads where the car does not know what the speed limit is, and just assumes (usually incorrectly) that the speed limit is 60km/hr. Maybe this is worse in Canada because the TomTom mapping here isn’t as precise?

(8) And yes, I still don’t know why they don’t have rain-sensing wipers in AP2, but to me it’s not a big deal.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and EinSV
This firmware allowed me to exceed the speed limit by more than 10kmph on some non freeways, which is important as the speed limit database is iffy and AP2 does read signs.

Yes, as I am in Canada, all the speed limit display are off as it is 1.6x too high as it does an extra mph to kmph conversion. I am used to it already and would just do a reverse conversion down, but it looks bad when I demo the car for others.

Last edited: