Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 17.3.2. Been on a 1200 mile road trip. Cruise limited to 75MPH
Had 4 times the car for no apparent reason slowed down significantly with collision warnings scares you to death going 75MPH. Twice we were beside transfer trucks.
Anyone know a contact email to report to the AP team?

Same here. Went to Richmond VA and back yesterday, about 550 miles down I95. Passed a car carrier with TACC set to max 75 and when fully even with it, the car freaked out to the point that, by the sound of the pedal, kicked in antilock brakes. Punched the go pedal reactively and was rewarded with what felt like skid control kicking in and some fishtail. Hard to fully analyze as it happened so fast, but to the best of my recollection this is how it happened.

Worse though were the 10 or so times going under overhead signs. Mostly momentary panic braking, a few times collision alerts, twice antilock brakes.

I95 is a heavily traveled corridor. I have to believe that, by now, enough AP2 miles have been logged that the Mothership must have every square inch of it mapped out...

For those who haven't had the pleasure of traveling this route, you need to know that this sports some of the worst aggressive drivers, ever. Cutting across 3 lanes of heavy traffic already doing 80, cell phone clamped to their ear while doing 100 MPH and then cutting back again, only to get 3 cars ahead of where they were?

Perhaps those programmers who are responsible for this hot mess need to take many road trips in their designs to fully appreciate the fruits of their labor. And not just on the CA "the" highways. Maybe if we started calling I95 "the 95" the Mothership will give the data it receives from it a higher priority.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Can someone clarify this? The release notes I've seen here and on YouTube seem to state the only thing new is the side collision warning. It says 'previous release notes repeated below for your reference' or whatever. And then they change the limit from 45 to 50 in that content? Really?

Wow, really? Thanks for reinforcing again why I'm never switching from iOS. :)

Actually you can set it to auto update so that you get it when it is released or you can disable auto updates and update it manually or not at all as you choose (there is also an only auotupdate on WIFI option).

99% of the time this means I can install any update any time I want. But for a major software roll out that faces millions of users they do the random seeding percentage thing to phase in the new version. Google has an algorithm that does this automatically. The developer of the app can't control who gets it unless they offer a beta/test version but they can change the rate/percentage of users that get it in a chunk.

Release app updates with staged rollouts - Developer Console Help

Took the car out for a few miles on the nearest freeway (Loop 303 for the locals) and it did better than the previous version in my opinion. I had mostly zero swaying in the lane - the one single exception is an area where the freeway lanes got really wide and it seemed to confused on which line to follow, but corrected itself very quickly.

One significant change that I did observe however is the "Hands on steering wheel" warning and execution. In the previous version, the car would give a first warning with a visual message after approx. 60 seconds...then continued visual PLUS an audible warning at 75 seconds...then a continued visual and double audible warning at 85 seconds and finally cut out at 90 seconds, with AP not available for the rest of the drive.

In the newest version, this has changed significantly, I'm not sure why, as the old method was much better.

The new method gives a visual warning after 60 seconds, no audible warning at all, then the system completes cuts out after 75 seconds and is not available for the rest of the trip. Not sure why they would have made this change, especially the lose of the audible warning.

I updated last night. I drove it a couple times last night after the update and everything was fine. This morning, I drove it to my first destination and it was fine. I drove it to a second destination and heard some kind of chime when I got out of the car, but I didn't realize what was happening until I drove it home, parked on my driveway with an incline, and the car wouldn't shift into park using the button.

I tried rebooting everything, turning car off and on. I parked it on the street, flat, and it went into park when I opened the door (didn't even have to get out of the driver's seat). I called roadside assistance and basically they said to bring it into the service center tomorrow. I guess it's good, since maybe they can fix my driver's side mirror that is loose and won't unfold completely.

Has anyone else experienced this parking issue? If it were the update, I would think it would have been a problem immediately, but who knows.

Also, based on Elon latest tweetstrom, we should expect a focus on improving HW2 before getting 8.1 (which he said should be available in "a month or so"). He also said that they are "almost there" for AP1 parity.

I guess that's encouraging. :)
Revamped App should be here in about 2 weeks.

Source : Elon's twitter

Took the car out for a few miles on the nearest freeway (Loop 303 for the locals) and it did better than the previous version in my opinion. I had mostly zero swaying in the lane - the one single exception is an area where the freeway lanes got really wide and it seemed to confused on which line to follow, but corrected itself very quickly.

One significant change that I did observe however is the "Hands on steering wheel" warning and execution. In the previous version, the car would give a first warning with a visual message after approx. 60 seconds...then continued visual PLUS an audible warning at 75 seconds...then a continued visual and double audible warning at 85 seconds and finally cut out at 90 seconds, with AP not available for the rest of the drive.

In the newest version, this has changed significantly, I'm not sure why, as the old method was much better.

The new method gives a visual warning after 60 seconds, no audible warning at all, then the system completes cuts out after 75 seconds and is not available for the rest of the trip. Not sure why they would have made this change, especially the lose of the audible warning.

pretty efficient at 45mph.

I received my notice to upgrade firmware this morning. Took around 40 minutes. It is 17.5.28. Here is my experience and I hope it is helpful. I will do my best to stick to facts and not "editorialize"..but ...you know ...some opinions or guesses will slip in:rolleyes:!

1. I headed to a freeway that was not too busy where I could drive the "new" 50 mph in the "slow" lane and other drivers would pass me without any problems or in the case of some others... just go the same speed as I -particularly those not comfortable with the weather conditions we encountered.
2. Weather conditions (important I believe): VERY HEAVY rainfall (what a surprise for the Seattle/Puget Sound region!;))
3. Total miles round trip using the 50 mph Autosteer: 38
4. The TACC works flawlessly in all situations I came upon. For my report I have no negative encounters to share.
5. The Autosteer was pretty stable, however there was some "dancing" within the lane from time to time. (see: weather conditions above - I don't know how much that affected the lane movements.) On this 38 miles trip I was able to maintain the 50 mph speed most of the time (I would say 95% of the trip or thereabouts).
6. The most common recurring "problem" was a propensity for the Autosteer to turn on to off ramps (I did not have my signal on-if you were wondering). I had to take control and pull back onto the freeway as I passed every off ramp (with the exception of a few "tests" I describe below). I felt that it was confused by the lane lines. (guessing). On one instance I decided to let it go (there was no one around me) - and autosteer seemed confused as it headed on to the off ramp....then it moved the car back onto the freeway after a few seconds (made me a bit nervous still). So it appeared to correct its mistake. (YES I always kept my hands on the steering wheel) On my 2nd and final off ramp test, I allowed Autosteer to veer onto an off ramp and again it reversed its decision and headed back to the freeway slow lane. On that test I did take control because it was a pretty late decision by Autosteer and if it had been one of those off ramps that had barrels of water to stop out of control drivers.....we may have hit them or come close to hitting them.
7. The other parts of the trip were uneventful and for many of the miles TACC and Autosteer worked well.

Ok. Here is the "editorial" or opinion part I will try and keep separate from what I hope represented facts or factual observation above. I LOVED the few new features 17.5.28 gave us today. I do not expect perfection as we experience this journey (Enhanced Autopilot). Understand that we will be dealt "features" a little bit at a time and it is probably good practice for me as I am NOT a patient person....and can use some practice. I hope we can use Autosteer on other roads soon and/or the 50mph limit is lifted higher. Of course it would also be nice to SOON get lane departure back along with the headlight autodim, rain sensor...and other stuff that was stripped away. I will apologize ahead of time if I incorrectly used any words or phrases (I noticed that has been a hot topic). My intent was to inform or report or just share my perception of today's experience. It was fun to test. I DID NOT try any test of the side collision warning :confused:....that seemed a bit over the top. I hope what I wrote helps.

Mobster - curious what highway you use in SEA to do this? I'm looking for a road to do an extended test drive coming out of Seattle proper...

Mobster - curious what highway you use in SEA to do this? I'm looking for a road to do an extended test drive coming out of Seattle proper...

I was on Highway 167 between Renton and Auburn and returned. Traffic was pretty light... So the fast drivers pretty much stay in the fast lane or they pass me without incident... Because of the Heavy Rain there were a lot of drivers going slower in the 50 mile per hour range

I, too, am frustrated with the Cal-centrism of software designers. Whenever I see someone using "freeway" as a generic name for limited-access roads I know I'm dealing with this problem. At this time of year much of the country's roads may be snow-covered even after plowing, with lane lines nowhere to be seen and windows (and therefore cameras) obscured by a film of dried salt water.

For the most part, designers of autonomous or semi-autonomous vehicles have ignored those of us whose numbered highways don't start with "the".

Ok, got the update notification last night (60D AP2 in PacNW), pulled it down this a.m. - and just went for a 10+ mile test drive on a state highway where the speed limit is both 50MPH and 60MPH, so I didn't feel too unsafe being the slow, right-land driver. A few observations - that mostly echo what's been covered in the thread:

-Autosteer seems just the same, just 5 MPH faster. On this particular route, there are a lot of exits and lane entrances...I was hoping it would do better detecting these. In general, it's about 50% success in keeping me on the highway vs. trying to take the exit...AND more noticeable for me...when an entrance ramp comes to merge with my lane...it sometimes "stays in the lane" reading the left-side lane markers...but sometimes pulls me right as the entrance lane is merging (it moves my car about 'half a lane' to the right - while that lane merge creates a wider merging lane)

-One other note...the 'detection of cars' still seems pretty loose. This could be because it was a rainy wet day - but as we'd approach a gradual turn...the tracking of the car in front of me in the lane would jump from "right in front of me in the lane on the dash" to "seeming like it was over on the shoulder"...and back. The car would never change speed (so it wasn't like it actually disappeared from detection) - but the visual representation on the dash didn't seem to match the car behavior.

I don't thi

I haven't tested it to that level. Right now I am just looking for the visual display on the Instrument cluster. If that feedback does not provide me with an accurate display of what's around me I will not trust it to warn me of a real problem.

Just got the following response from Tesla. So it's just a documentation update.

The side collision was present in earlier releases as well but the release notes were updated to reflect this. The side collision does not have the full functionality of hardware 1 vehicles at this time and will not chime or move the vehicle.

Just got the following response from Tesla. So it's just a documentation update.

The side collision was present in earlier releases as well but the release notes were updated to reflect this. The side collision does not have the full functionality of hardware 1 vehicles at this time and will not chime or move the vehicle.

Makes sense since I knew we had that functionality already. I guess we just didn't notice it missing from the release notes.