Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you get Autosteer to engage on the freeway?

On freeways, driving normally, I always get "restricted on this road" and "try at slower speed" when I try to engage Autostreer.

When I try it on "city" expressways (speed limit maybe more like 45 mph), I get "disabled on this road".

So, one time, on a fairly empty freeway, I slowed and slowed until I was about 50mph (speed limit was 65mph) and Autosteer finally engaged. I tried it for about 1 minute before disengaging (it was about to drive me onto an exit) and then going back up to the speed limit.

So far... I am a little confused.

Are you guys using Autosteer at freeway speeds? 65mph? 80mph?

How do you get Autosteer to engage on the freeway?

On freeways, driving normally, I always get "restricted on this road" and "try at slower speed" when I try to engage Autostreer.

When I try it on "city" expressways (speed limit maybe more like 45 mph), I get "disabled on this road".

So, one time, on a fairly empty freeway, I slowed and slowed until I was about 50mph (speed limit was 65mph) and Autosteer finally engaged. I tried it for about 1 minute before disengaging (it was about to drive me onto an exit) and then going back up to the speed limit.

So far... I am a little confused.

Are you guys using Autosteer at freeway speeds? 65mph? 80mph?
Come on man, how many of these are we going to get? You don't even have to read the thread, just read the release notes.

Come on man, how many of these are we going to get? You don't even have to read the thread, just read the release notes.
Thanks for your helpful reply.

I now see the release notes say 50mph or lower.

All I knew before was that some guy Autosteered under a truck going freeway speeds, so I figured Autosteer worked at freeway speeds. I guess they lowered it.

Is there a way to read the release notes without sitting in the car?

Is there a way to read the release notes without sitting in the car?

Not unless someone photographs it and puts it in a thread like this. The car offers the release notes right after a successful update. You have to close it and not read it to avoid it.

AP1 =/ AP2. Read up and learn about the driver's assistance features before using them to ensure you (and others) are safe.

When using TACC+ Autosteer, I sometimes get in highway a beeping sound supposedly "detecting" the collision (sometimes with "red" front vehicle image), but it is quite rare tho. Out of hundreds of miles driven last week, I got it like 3 times.

Anyone else got one?
It gives me a feeling like "ghost object" was detected.
I seem to be getting this more often - like once a day. The car tries to brake hard for a second, makes the beeping sound and then picks up again like nothing happened.

I figured Autosteer worked at freeway speeds.

The old hardware doesn't have this limitation. The new hardware has increased the limit, a bit, over the last few weeks and it will increase more soon - "soon" is a bit hard to define though, sorry.

You have to close it and not read it to avoid it

Or your spouse has to be the first person to drive the car after an update.

Reactions: Sather and sdorn
So I am not the only who experiences this.
Hopefully it is fixed soon.

In the middle of the freeway, it is awkward and probably gets a lot of attention from ppl.

This is a common problem / bug / brake-check-feature cited in a number of threads on the site. It seems to be from abrupt changes in the image from overhead things. I've personally experienced it with stoplights changing to yellow, electronic message signs changing their text, and plain interstate signs reflecting the sun. What's odd is that it happens when the sign is at something like a 45 degree altitude to the sign. So I can barely see it from the window; I'm just about to go under whatever it is.

So I am not the only who experiences this.
Hopefully it is fixed soon.

In the middle of the freeway, it is awkward and probably gets a lot of attention from ppl.

while using TACC -- i 'm having similar issues-- notably when crossing bridge(s) above freeways @ the bridge connecting points (speed ~40-50mph). Also, notice similar sudden breaking at random minor potholes on local streets. Initially it was easier to ignore as i assumed car will 'learn/adjust' but not it's kinda annoying upsetting...esp when i have infant in the car... sudden breaks cause startle reflex followed by crying..

another issue is rapid acceleration once car in front exits the lane and there is no car present in the front. it's nice to feel the acceleration initially, but i'd assume the acceleration would be smoother-- again it becomes an issue with infant in the car.

Interesting how so many are having issues with TACC on this version. When I first received 17.5.28 the TACC worked wonderfully. However, over the last two days it has become a bit funky. Sudden slowdowns, slow-to-brake, and sensors/cameras not seeing a vehicle ahead resulting in the need for manual braking have become much more common (all sensors, cameras and radar are clean of dirt and debris). My sensory antennae are certainly much more sensitive right now and the need to turn off TACC in more situations has become much more frequent.

Interesting how so many are having issues with TACC on this version. When I first received 17.5.28 the TACC worked wonderfully. However, over the last two days it has become a bit funky.

Almost as if a bunch of bad drivers are teaching the Mothership bad habits, which are being pushed back down to the fleet...

BTW, I smile fondly at your avatar every time you post. We had a Grey-cheeked Parakeet for years. Long gone now but not forgotten. Wonderful, loving birds. :)

• Funny
Reactions: chillaban
Interesting how so many are having issues with TACC on this version. When I first received 17.5.28 the TACC worked wonderfully. However, over the last two days it has become a bit funky. Sudden slowdowns, slow-to-brake, and sensors/cameras not seeing a vehicle ahead resulting in the need for manual braking have become much more common (all sensors, cameras and radar are clean of dirt and debris). My sensory antennae are certainly much more sensitive right now and the need to turn off TACC in more situations has become much more frequent.
I also have noticed that. Are you reporting the issue to Tesla? I called 2 times and told them the time stamps and what happened at that time. I was told they would take a look at logs and get back within 48hours. No Call yet! its been 2 weeks. I'm not holding my breath.

Mine's been operational around 40-50% of the times I drive the car. It says "driver assistance unavailable" or just works, seems totally random. I asked Service about this today and was told its part of the "bugs" and issues they are resolving and the following update will fix it.

Sounded more like "we know it doesn't work and its not our problem just yet, the software guys need to get it together first before we can look at anything". Fair enough I guess.

When it does work, I find it accelerates and brakes too hard and not in a "logical" human like manner. I can see the car ahead of me is a certain distance away, there is no real need to catch up with that car in a hurry and then brake hard to slow down again. Not only is is a bit scary, its too jerky and unnatural. But when traffic flow is relatively smooth, it seems to work fine with minor slow downs and catch-ups. Stop-go traffic is not fun. I guess it still needs a bit of work. I still haven't found a road to try Auto-steer on

Almost as if a bunch of bad drivers are teaching the Mothership bad habits, which are being pushed back down to the fleet...

BTW, I smile fondly at your avatar every time you post. We had a Grey-cheeked Parakeet for years. Long gone now but not forgotten. Wonderful, loving birds. :)
If I may, I will go temporarily off topic to simply say that we had two grey-cheeks for many years and had the most fun with them as anyone could expect from a pet. Their quirky personalities and never-ending quest for adventure always kept us on our toes and always laughing. For me, they were the best pets I ever had and would have purchased another had it not been for the restrictions the government has placed on them. I, like you, have not forgotten about them and the avatar is my way of remembering these fun little friends.

I also have noticed that. Are you reporting the issue to Tesla? I called 2 times and told them the time stamps and what happened at that time. I was told they would take a look at logs and get back within 48hours. No Call yet! its been 2 weeks. I'm not holding my breath.
No, I have not reported the problem as it have just started for me. Everything appeared to be a bit more normal this morning but will continue to monitor and will report the problem if it strays too far from what it had done earlier.