Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.9.3 AP2 behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. For some reason it only seems like it can see moving cars. What was scary was I was coming up on a light and there was a car at the light a great distance from me so it was not shown and I was testing local AP and I figured when it would get close it would slow down but I was getting very close and I dont think the car was going to slow down and I waited as long as I could before I had to hard break because it was apparent it was not going to slow down. I dont know why it does not seem to see cars that are not moving.

There are lots of posts on this topic. The system is blackout out non-moving objects as a way to eliminate all the extra noise (and to not slam on the brakes for a car parked on the side of the road when going around a bend in the road). It's pretty common for most TACC implementations.

Clearly, will have to be better for EAP at some point. So I'm optimistic, but for now I wouldn't trust it w/o my foot near the brake when coming up to stopped traffic

Reactions: Tomnook
I used to live there for undergrad. Not the most fun drive but I'd be excited to see a Tesla had any existed way back then. Hopefully no issues.
My trek down 94 to the 90/94 was smooth on TACC. Then I had what was perhaps my best autosteer HW2 experience -- in horrible traffic in the express lanes on my way south. Yay! None of the lane confusion side-to-side business. Relief.

Once I got off the express lanes, and traffic opened up, the shadows from the overpasses (Lake, Randolph, Wash, Mad, etc.) gave TACC fits. No FCW's or dramatic slowdowns, but it was herky-jerky.

On my way home, took LSD to 55 to 90/94. Downtown was jammed and when I put on AS, I got the veer-to-the-right every time I tried to engage it. I wasn't willing to ride inches away from the car on my right to see if that "solved" the veer.

Tried local road AS today, and got more of the veer to the right. Aggravating.

-my car is back to zooming and braking in stop/go traffic on highway.
Yeah, I hate whatever algorithm they are using to do that. Car in front of you changes lanes, and your car all of a sudden races at a contextually unsafe speed.

Also, the inability to drive past cars parked on the right side of a local road is ridiculous.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Yeah, I just picked up my new model S last week and especially compared to AP1 this is pretty bad. I thought maybe my sensors needed to be calibrated or something but listening to what everyone is saying, it must just be that bad. My lines are dancing all over the place even if I'm stopped at a light...

Yeah, never seen the car highlighted in blue before. Another thing I noticed is that using autosteer or TACC on 17.9.3, it follows the car in front and randomly accelerates hard and then slows down once it detects its gotten too close to it. I have my distance set to a setting of 6 and it feels like it would go to a setting of 3-4 before realizing its too close to it.

This never happened while I was on 17.7.2 and earlier versions; the car followed the car in front very smoothly, drove 2000 miles using autopilot and didn't run into this.
Exactly noticed the same problem since 17.9.3

There are lots of posts on this topic. The system is blackout out non-moving objects as a way to eliminate all the extra noise (and to not slam on the brakes for a car parked on the side of the road when going around a bend in the road). It's pretty common for most TACC implementations
<snip>
If you include AP 1 in "most TACC implementations", that's not the case. AP 1 has no problem at all detecting and reacting to stopped cars, including ones it's never seen before, and works fine on roads with cars parked on the right as long as it can see the road markings.

Although non-highway Autosteer works great for me:

-my car is back to zooming and braking in stop/go traffic on highway.
-it works BETTER in slow steady traffic that slows/speeds... like 20 to 50 mph on highway

unfortunately:
Last night my TACC was useless in the dark. (AS was off)

I was driving in middle lane. empty traffic to my left, and behind me.
Cars going slower than me in the right lane.

It went back to slamming on the brakes constantly. I think it was doing this based on cars in right lane.
(I did see once that the car in the lane to my front left flashed "red" when the braking happened)

Once I went from 68 mph to 55 before I could get my foot on the accelerator.

I had 4 slamming on brakes events in about 2 miles, so had to disengage even though there was nobody behind me.
(I was afraid of what the cars in the right lane would do based on the brake-slamming)
Sound like a lot of fun! I have the same experience. AP2 is exhausting...best way to summarize "It doesn't work".

Reactions: jayman
Yeah, I just picked up my new model S last week and especially compared to AP1 this is pretty bad. I thought maybe my sensors needed to be calibrated or something but listening to what everyone is saying, it must just be that bad. My lines are dancing all over the place even if I'm stopped at a light...

This is the much much improved version. It still will try to kill you though. So be very careful.

Just noticed this behavior on the way home last night. Stopped at a traffic light, and the car keep switching back and forth between following the lane vs the car in front. Every time when going thru an intersection, the car will try to pull to the left. I think the last firmware (17.7.2) was way better on local roads. what's your experience with 17.9.3?

Guys, need some help here. Received model S p100d in December, just got 17.9.3 but still no auto steer functions. Thinking I need to add something but it has all cameras, hardware, but no functionality as of yet. Thanks for help

I find 17.9.3 has improved AP2. I no longer get Autopilot disabled messages when car starts up. It doesn't allow me to engage auto steer as much on unsafe unlined roads (it still sees tar lines as lane markers though sometimes). When car in front turns blue through intersection it tracks that car and goes through intersection better. It hasn't been slowing down under over passes and overhead signs. It still has a slight pause sometimes but it is not as bad as before. Auto steer seems steadier. I like AP speeding up quicker in traffic as it was slow to accelerate before and I felt drivers were getting impatient with me. Operation of TACC is smoother when cars are changing in and out of my lane in front. It used to surge more.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV