Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.9.3 AP2 behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Just noticed this behavior on the way home last night. Stopped at a traffic light, and the car keep switching back and forth between following the lane vs the car in front. Every time when going thru an intersection, the car will try to pull to the left. I think the last firmware (17.7.2) was way better on local roads. what's your experience with 17.9.3?

Yeah, never seen the car highlighted in blue before. Another thing I noticed is that using autosteer or TACC on 17.9.3, it follows the car in front and randomly accelerates hard and then slows down once it detects its gotten too close to it. I have my distance set to a setting of 6 and it feels like it would go to a setting of 3-4 before realizing its too close to it.

This never happened while I was on 17.7.2 and earlier versions; the car followed the car in front very smoothly, drove 2000 miles using autopilot and didn't run into this.

Reactions: randycandy
I've seen blue on 17.9.3 but only briefly. I think it happens when car has only visual lock and not radar. I don't experience any sudden turns but I've only recently gotten 17.9.3. A week isn't sufficient to really see all the situations.

Yeah, never seen the car highlighted in blue before. Another thing I noticed is that using autosteer or TACC on 17.9.3, it follows the car in front and randomly accelerates hard and then slows down once it detects its gotten too close to it. I have my distance set to a setting of 6 and it feels like it would go to a setting of 3-4 before realizing its too close to it.

This never happened while I was on 17.7.2 and earlier versions; the car followed the car in front very smoothly, drove 2000 miles using autopilot and didn't run into this.

I have also had the acceleration issue with the new release but autopilot has been the best I've ever experienced.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
It still wants to drive me into the back of semi trucks at stops.

Although today was the first time AP2 successfully navigated an intersection that I go by routinely. At the time my X appeared to be using the "Blue Car Method". Alas, the next time I went through the intersection, my X was following the "Blue Line Method" and got wobbly, and then I got too nervous and had to disengage.

Last edited:
I've gotten that. I just don't use it behind them now. AP thinks the truck is 2 cars and that they are moving all over and sometimes loses them altogether and that's when it lurches forward at the (still existing) truck. Something about the metal underbelly creates issues.
Kind of funny (not at all funny) that our cars slow down for signs 50 feet over the highway, but still want to drive us under trucks.

The sun position seems to be a pretty big factor - last night on a curvy road with the sun at my back and two well marked lines on either side, autopilot did better than it ever has with sharp curves.

But then this morning, with the sun rising from the right side, traffic stopped in the left turn lane really gave the TACC fits. It hit the brakes hard a couple of times where it would have just kept going at midday.

When I stop and there is a car in front does not show up on display until we start moving again ??

Same here. For some reason it only seems like it can see moving cars. What was scary was I was coming up on a light and there was a car at the light a great distance from me so it was not shown and I was testing local AP and I figured when it would get close it would slow down but I was getting very close and I dont think the car was going to slow down and I waited as long as I could before I had to hard break because it was apparent it was not going to slow down. I dont know why it does not seem to see cars that are not moving.

Although non-highway Autosteer works great for me:

-my car is back to zooming and braking in stop/go traffic on highway.
-it works BETTER in slow steady traffic that slows/speeds... like 20 to 50 mph on highway

unfortunately:
Last night my TACC was useless in the dark. (AS was off)

I was driving in middle lane. empty traffic to my left, and behind me.
Cars going slower than me in the right lane.

It went back to slamming on the brakes constantly. I think it was doing this based on cars in right lane.
(I did see once that the car in the lane to my front left flashed "red" when the braking happened)

Once I went from 68 mph to 55 before I could get my foot on the accelerator.

I had 4 slamming on brakes events in about 2 miles, so had to disengage even though there was nobody behind me.
(I was afraid of what the cars in the right lane would do based on the brake-slamming)