Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~$17 a month for Digital Rplate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol so we all got our plates installed and now they just came out with a new slimmer plate! And they're using a Model 3 to display it on their website

Emailing them tomorrow morning and inquiring about getting this new plate now

OnWEhtA.png

To be fair, I posted here 3 weeks ago to hold off! Personally, I see absolutely no benefit from upgrading. Sure, it’s a tad thinner but I don’t think that’s worth it alone.

———-

Got my car back from Tesla. They had to replace the 12V battery but dropped anything about the Rplate causing a problem during an update. Haven’t received a copy of the invoice but I’ll update if it mentions anything about it.

On the upside, they drove my car back to me. Didn’t realize that’s not a service they normally offer. On the down side... my rear seat bench was not attached, causing a problem with some errands.

Reactions: Mr X and lUtriaNt
i already spoke with two reps over the weekend about this. the thinner one is a major step down from the plate pro. it is a self install kinda plate with no backlight or telematics (i understand the telematics are not necessary in our case). its just the plate with the ability to renew dmv and messages. the battery lasts 5 years or 50K miles.

since i have the PRO model, its not worth my coin or time to downgrade to this.

i see this as being a cheaper alternative to those who want the basic cool factor and dmv updates all self contained for those who have fancy connected cars like teslas. also the company is in talks with more states to open this up to so they are just getting ready for the masses.

enjoy our uniqueness whilst it lasts boys.. :)

i already spoke with two reps over the weekend about this. the thinner one is a major step down from the plate pro. it is a self install kinda plate with no backlight or telematics (i understand the telematics are not necessary in our case). its just the plate with the ability to renew dmv and messages. the battery lasts 5 years or 50K miles.

i see this as being a cheaper alternative to those who want the basic cool factor and dmv updates all self contained for those who have fancy connected cars like teslas. also the company is in talks with more states to open this up to so they are just getting ready for the masses.

Interesting that they dropped the backlight.

Reactions: lUtriaNt

Just got an email back and was told the same thing.

Seems like the thick plate is the "premium" plate and the slim is the "entry" plate. I do enjoy the plate being illuminated at night so that right there would make me not want to get the slim one then

this thing is a HUGE waste of money imo

9b359f7825c587084572e948cd584a0f.png

• Funny
Reactions: logan and lUtriaNt
Still get so many questions from people about the plate.

Coming up on my reg. renewal. I will pay it through the app

Btw I've yet to pay any monthly payment for the plate. I've basically had it for free. But assuming they changed to a yearly payment instead of monthly, or simply forgot to charge me lol. I'll find out in July

How's everyone else's plates holding up? No issues with mine :cool:

Still get so many questions from people about the plate.

Coming up on my reg. renewal. I will pay it through the app

Btw I've yet to pay any monthly payment for the plate. I've basically had it for free. But assuming they changed to a yearly payment instead of monthly, or simply forgot to charge me lol. I'll find out in July

How's everyone else's plates holding up? No issues with mine :cool:

haha! The same thing happened to me. I went 6 months without paying and I finally got a hold of them to ask them. They charged the full 6 months in one shot lol. I love the plate, especially not that I have DV plates, looks much better than what I get from the State.

Reactions: Mr X
I’ve been thinking about changing my plates. I’ve currently have the standard but I’ve thought about the Legacy Plates as well as the UCLA one. But this is pretty damn cool. But what is the difference between the RPLATE and RPLATE Pro?
the pro is illuminated and hard wired, requires an installation by a pro. The cheaper Rplate doesn't have backlit display and can be installed by your teenager within 20 minutes. I went with the regular Rplate, as its perfectly bright enough in the day and at night it looks great with the already installed license plate lights. The Pro also offers gps tracking and some other features that are already included in our teslas for free so I didn't bother.

Reactions: RedWhite19
the pro is illuminated and hard wired, requires an installation by a pro. The cheaper Rplate doesn't have backlit display and can be installed by your teenager within 20 minutes. I went with the regular Rplate, as its perfectly bright enough in the day and at night it looks great with the already installed license plate lights. The Pro also offers gps tracking and some other features that are already included in our teslas for free so I didn't bother.
I see. Reading through the pages, it does appear the entry level one has gotten a lot cheaper(in terms of quality) over the last year or so?

I’m tempted pulling the trigger. I am just wondering which one I should go with. Plus, the installation for the pro seems like a headache unless they’re sending somebody down to LA to do it.