Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-17 degrees plus stop and go driving ~50% of rated km today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminder: this is not unique to electric cars

Are ICE cars any different?

I'm not at home. The VW Golf diesel I'm driving is supposed to get 4.6 L/100 km on the highway and 6.7 L/100 km city. It took 15 km (!!!) for the engine to get to its normal operating temperature this morning, in -18 C air. Consumption was 8.2 L/100 km over the 30 km trip. At the start it was showing more like 14 L/100 km. 3/4 of the trip was highway with no delay, but the start involved a lot of stop&go.

People make a big deal out of electric cars having less range in the winter, but where is all the whingeing about internal combustion engine cars having less range in the winter? Do people realize just how big a difference the cold makes, and how much more they are paying (and polluting) in the winter?

Are ICE cars any different?

I'm not at home. The VW Golf diesel I'm driving is supposed to get 4.6 L/100 km on the highway and 6.7 L/100 km city. It took 15 km (!!!) for the engine to get to its normal operating temperature this morning, in -18 C air. Consumption was 8.2 L/100 km over the 30 km trip. At the start it was showing more like 14 L/100 km. 3/4 of the trip was highway with no delay, but the start involved a lot of stop&go.
People make a big deal out of electric cars having less range in the winter, but where is all the whingeing about internal combustion engine cars having less range in the winter? Do people realize just how big a difference the cold makes, and how much more they are paying (and polluting) in the winter?

Good point! Especially the one about increased pollution on top of decreased mileage.