Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17" screen dead along with controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 19" screen is dead. The car can drive, can charge. Responds to rebooting instrument screen, does not respond at all to rebooting the 19" screen. Brakes or no brakes. I have TeslaFi and it can still see the car and interact with it. Does anyone have any ideas or am I looking at financing a 19" screen replacement?
modelsdeadscreen.jpg
Have not tried powering off the car and back on again. Will do that and report back.

When you say it is dead, do you mean it is completely black and does not light up under any circumstances?
Oh, and it is a 17" screen, but I know what you are referring :)

Damn. So my 19" screen has shrunk to 17"!?
When did Tesla do that? (jk)
Yes, no lights or flickering that I can see at all. Gonna try a supercharge as that was suggested by a post I saw somewhere. Maybe I'm just making it up, but I am pretty sure I saw that somewhere.

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm wondering if this is related to a recent firmware update. I've seen a couple others report the same problem in other threads over the past week. I ran into something similar last Monday where my main screen seemed totally dead but the IC was working fine. After several minutes, several reboot attempts and then starting to try driving the car by pushing the brake pedal, I was able to finally reboot it. The next morning, I got a firmware update. I haven't had the problem since.

What version firmware does your phone app show?

Mine wasn't related to a failed update as it has been weeks since my last update. I did wonder if it could've been related to a download issue but it happened at work and I wasn't on WiFi. I did find it odd that I got an update to 2029.20.4.2 within hours of experiencing the problem.

I had the same thing happen with my car where my screen is completely dead and I have no HVAC, no bluetooth, no homelink, no memory seats, no controls from my phone except for being able to read the charge status, no odometer, etc. It died on June 28th when I tried to reboot the screen via the steering wheel because my bluetooth stopped working. My car also haven't been able to connect to Wi-Fi properly for quite a while so I haven't downloaded or installed a software update since 2019.12.1.2. I've tried all the different reboots and I've even pulled the fuse for the MCU to reset the power to the screen but there is still no change.

I've had the yellow borders on the screen since September of last year after getting the screen replaced for the bubbling and a random MCU fault last spring. I'm hoping that Tesla service in Denver has the parts on hand to replace my screen this week at my service appointment.

Unhooking the 12v battery for a min and then reconnecting did not help. It's dead, Jim. I also unhooked the fireloop to no avail. (I've reconnected it) It probably needs the MCU replaced. I don;t want to, though because this one has no bubbling or yellow edge. If I had to guess, I'd say it;s the logging issue that wore out the SSD. It went from 100 to zero in less than 48 hours.

Mine wasn't related to a failed update as it has been weeks since my last update. I did wonder if it could've been related to a download issue but it happened at work and I wasn't on WiFi. I did find it odd that I got an update to 2029.20.4.2 within hours of experiencing the problem.
I forgot to mention that the mobile app showed my battery charge as --- and the icon was totally empty. Once the car came back to life, it correctly showed the battery was at 230 miles or ~70%.

This sounds like how my MCU failure presented in 2017. Sudden loss of touch screen (screen froze then tried reboot but just dark screen). Car still drivable but not climate controls etc (even from the app). One side benefit is the odometer stopped working so no miles were recorded during the failure.

Happened at 4.5 years ownership, 95k miles so out of warranty, part was:
MCU,NA PREM AUDIO GPS, REMAN (1004780-00-M) $2,370.00

Last edited: