TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

17" screen dead along with controls

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by spacklewoof, Jul 8, 2019.

1. spacklewoof

spacklewoof Member

My 19" screen is dead. The car can drive, can charge. Responds to rebooting instrument screen, does not respond at all to rebooting the 19" screen. Brakes or no brakes. I have TeslaFi and it can still see the car and interact with it. Does anyone have any ideas or am I looking at financing a 19" screen replacement?
    modelsdeadscreen.jpg
    Have not tried powering off the car and back on again. Will do that and report back.

2. spacklewoof

spacklewoof Member

Cannot power down the car without using the touch screen.
    Another defeat, snatched from the jaws of victory!

3. animorph

animorph Active Member

Turning off the car for a night should be similar to a power down. It should go to sleep and turn almost everything off. Disconnecting the 12V battery should also work, and a bit quicker.

4. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

When you say it is dead, do you mean it is completely black and does not light up under any circumstances?
    Oh, and it is a 17" screen, but I know what you are referring :)

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

If it is just the screen that is dead Tesla charges about $1,400 for a replacement. If the MCU has failed, which it doesn't sound like your has, they charge more like $2,600 for a replacement.

6. spacklewoof

spacklewoof Member

Damn. So my 19" screen has shrunk to 17"!?
    When did Tesla do that? (jk)
    Yes, no lights or flickering that I can see at all. Gonna try a supercharge as that was suggested by a post I saw somewhere. Maybe I'm just making it up, but I am pretty sure I saw that somewhere.

• Funny x 1
  7. spacklewoof

spacklewoof Member

Ouch!

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.36.2.1

I'm wondering if this is related to a recent firmware update. I've seen a couple others report the same problem in other threads over the past week. I ran into something similar last Monday where my main screen seemed totally dead but the IC was working fine. After several minutes, several reboot attempts and then starting to try driving the car by pushing the brake pedal, I was able to finally reboot it. The next morning, I got a firmware update. I haven't had the problem since.

What version firmware does your phone app show?

9. spacklewoof

spacklewoof Member

BLAH! Same as last time. 2019.16.2 73d3f3c
    I was also wondering about failed update but have no evidence to support that.

10. MorrisonHiker

Mine wasn't related to a failed update as it has been weeks since my last update. I did wonder if it could've been related to a download issue but it happened at work and I wasn't on WiFi. I did find it odd that I got an update to 2029.20.4.2 within hours of experiencing the problem.

11. spacklewoof

spacklewoof Member

Tried to see if the touch was functional, but the screen dead and the touch WAS NOT functional.
    And the screen still does not work. Guess I'm looking up the disconnect procedure for the 12v battery!!

12. spacklewoof

spacklewoof Member

17" screen is much hotter than the rest of the car.

13. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

I had the same thing happen with my car where my screen is completely dead and I have no HVAC, no bluetooth, no homelink, no memory seats, no controls from my phone except for being able to read the charge status, no odometer, etc. It died on June 28th when I tried to reboot the screen via the steering wheel because my bluetooth stopped working. My car also haven't been able to connect to Wi-Fi properly for quite a while so I haven't downloaded or installed a software update since 2019.12.1.2. I've tried all the different reboots and I've even pulled the fuse for the MCU to reset the power to the screen but there is still no change.

I've had the yellow borders on the screen since September of last year after getting the screen replaced for the bubbling and a random MCU fault last spring. I'm hoping that Tesla service in Denver has the parts on hand to replace my screen this week at my service appointment.

14. spacklewoof

spacklewoof Member

Unhooking the 12v battery for a min and then reconnecting did not help. It's dead, Jim. I also unhooked the fireloop to no avail. (I've reconnected it) It probably needs the MCU replaced. I don;t want to, though because this one has no bubbling or yellow edge. If I had to guess, I'd say it;s the logging issue that wore out the SSD. It went from 100 to zero in less than 48 hours.

15. MorrisonHiker

I forgot to mention that the mobile app showed my battery charge as --- and the icon was totally empty. Once the car came back to life, it correctly showed the battery was at 230 miles or ~70%.

16. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

Emmc most likely failed due to over writes.

17. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Active Member

#17 DFibRL8R, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    This sounds like how my MCU failure presented in 2017. Sudden loss of touch screen (screen froze then tried reboot but just dark screen). Car still drivable but not climate controls etc (even from the app). One side benefit is the odometer stopped working so no miles were recorded during the failure.

Happened at 4.5 years ownership, 95k miles so out of warranty, part was:
    MCU,NA PREM AUDIO GPS, REMAN (1004780-00-M) $2,370.00

18. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

Seems like it indeed....

This is really becoming a major problem with S and X.

19. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

Yes I agree, watch this video

20. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

• Like x 2