Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17" Screen scratch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
So on Saturday driving back from an oil change (wife's car) I had my dogs in the car. And I decided to give them the full back area and folded down my rear seats.

Well Fiona my dog decided to try to climb into the front seats, at the same time I was breaking for a red light. She ended up face/neck planting into my screen. Her collar/tags did a number on the screen. Dog is perfectly fine. And quickly hopped back into the rear of the car after this incident. She didn't actually hit it that hard, she just sort of fell down off the cup holder/arm rest area.

WP_20140414_003.jpg

It appears that there is an anti-reflective coating on the screen (same as on my old Nokia N8) that is actually scratched. The glass itself looks fine.

My question: Does anyone know how to mitigate the visual impact of such a scratch? Or work the film so it is less apparent?

Lucky for me the scratch is virtually invisible when the screen is properly backlit, and is only partially visible when there is heavy direct light on the screen.

Not really...I can tell you that the scratch removal pastes (Displex, and others) are fairly crappy (based on testing on a cellphone), I suspect toothpaste would do as good a job. I'm not just saying this as a blatant plug, but it's possible a matte screen protector might take the edge off it?

Sorry about your screen--hope you find a solution. Perhaps Ownership or the Service Center have some suggestions or have experience with this.

I'll also be the first to say that this is why dogs should never be allowed to free-roam in a car. I know most people do it, probably out of laziness, or perhaps out of ignorance, but you're lucky that your dog didn't suffer from any significant injury. In a major accident a free-roaming dog becomes a furry missile that can injure both the passengers as well as the missile. Either use a car harness (if he's a bigger dog) or keep the dog in a crate (if he's small/mediumish). When I'm driving with my corgi, he always goes in his crate.

The scratch isn't all that bad. I don't notice it much. It is only really apparent when the backlight is dim and the direct light (flash in the pic) is strong.

Here is a picture with the maps open. The scratch is very hard to pick out.

WP_20140414_006.jpg

And yeah. I really should have kept them in the way back. But they were much happier having their heads out the windows.

- - - Updated - - -

And somehow I was able to scratch the hell out of my fixed 17" dash in my car. But all the mobile phones, and tablets (also all without screen protection) I only have gotten some really tiny swirl marks on a phone about 5 years ago.