Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17" Screen sticks up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just reserved a Model X (seq #16,840), one thing that has always bugged me on the Model X for all the pictures/etc i've seen is how the 17" sticks up above the top of the dash. It makes the 17" look more glued on than built in. Im hoping that changes but I suspect it won't given its always looked that way.

Anyway i'll be glad to swap out my wife's ML350. That thing is a maintenance nightmare.

Next my only problem is she'll have options (like ACC) that I won't..

From what I've read in the forum analyzing spyshots of recent prototypes, the touchscreen doesn't extend at the top like in the renderings. What the design will be in the production version remains to be seen, but I have faith that tesla will make the final product look amazing in every way.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Firstly, the mules are, well, mules and are based on Model S so they may or may not have a different screen position...or maybe even a different size screen. Lots of folks like to try and pick apart the mules but honestly it's all speculation. Secondly, with a reservation number over 16,000 you and your wife will have plenty of time to study, consider, sit in, the Model X and decide if it's right for you. Finally, that sticking up screen might be the perfect place to stash sunglasses that will otherwise fly about due to the awesome acceleration power of Model X.

I just reserved a Model X (seq #16,840), one thing that has always bugged me on the Model X for all the pictures/etc i've seen is how the 17" sticks up above the top of the dash. It makes the 17" look more glued on than built in. Im hoping that changes but I suspect it won't given its always looked that way.

Anyway i'll be glad to swap out my wife's ML350. That thing is a maintenance nightmare.

Next my only problem is she'll have options (like ACC) that I won't..
My February 19 reservation number is 15980. Does this mean that less than 1000 cars were reserved in the last 2 months?

My February 19 reservation number is 15980. Does this mean that less than 1000 cars were reserved in the last 2 months?

I think that is not surprising as customers don't really know what they are buying. Fans and early adopters already reserved some time back and the majority will reserve once a waiting time is defined and a final product is seen.

Way back from the release party of X, and If I remember right Elon mentioned this in one of the Q&A two years ago og last year.
Think even Bonnie wrote it in a post when it was discused last time.
Also if you watch one of the Movies or pictures of the Prototype inside, and measure the screen it is not hard to see the prototype had a 19" LCD. ;-)
That X will get a 17" in production is quite posible, better to have as much common parts on S and X as possible.

Now this is why it's so sad so many old-timers have grown tired - or maybe for other reasons shut up - of talking the nitty gritty of Model X. I guess it has been a very long haul. :)

There is a lot of detail like this that such memory and experience can bring to the discussion that we who are researching things anew don't know.

sigurdi, as always, thanks for sharing your recollection of such minute details.

Way back from the release party of X, and If I remember right Elon mentioned this in one of the Q&A two years ago og last year.
Think even Bonnie wrote it in a post when it was discused last time.
Also if you watch one of the Movies or pictures of the Prototype inside, and measure the screen it is not hard to see the prototype had a 19" LCD. ;-)
That X will get a 17" in production is quite posible, better to have as much common parts on S and X as possible.

i don't remember anything about that - other than I liked the floating screen. Perhaps someone else?

Or maybe it's because certain people keep on attributing motives to others. Give it a rest whydontcha? ;-)

NigelM: Nothing to do with attributing motives in that case. If anything, I was guessing simply getting tired of it all - and trying to challenge old-timers to share their knowledge with us despite that. :) Anyway, it was a well-intentioned comment.

Taking the road less topical - and none too seriously at that:

Many probably have that "real world" car people get-together (or other interest) that started all about the cars and what's under the hood and what same brand everyone was driving (or similar details of another interest), and initially it was a meet-up to share info and experiences. Over time it turned into a group of friends of various whatever cars (and even without cars) meeting every couple of months or so, because the people became more important than the interest itself. This is probably not wholly unlike the story of TMC in some areas. It is perfectly understandable.

Interestingly, I would say the Model 3 forum still contains a lot of that glee and wild interest in the topic at hand (with even less substance to extrapolate from than we do here), because it has a lot more different people starting relatively from scratch. Give it a few more years and they'll be all about panda photos instead. ;)

Sorry Bonnie that I mixed you up, with someone else.
It was someone on the release party of X that mentioned that it had a larger screen than the Model S, but this is a long time ago.
I guess it seems like yesterday, for the ones that got a test ride in the X. :)

I guess I can get into the old timer, not as good to look up the sources for things I remember/think I remember as before.
Done it so many times that I do not take time to do it.
Give clues and they can look up and search for the source. ;-)
Still do it on subjects, but not as much and wide as before.
I guess I will be gone from the forum for some time, after the first few 100 signature Model X is delivered in Europa.
I will be driving around in Europa, smiling and not care if it could or should be a 17" or 19" screen, if it sticks up or not, if it has side mirror, back mirror, 2, 4 or 12 cameras, svirvling second row......
Only thing I would not like is the airbag showing on the A pillar and the car would not let me exit from the Autobahn. He he he he
The most importen thing is that I finale can drive it.