TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

$170 per TPMS sensor?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by apacheguy, May 12, 2016.

1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Car is in for annual service at Van Nuys. Service advisor called me and quoted $170 per tire for TPMS sensor replacement since I have been having issues.

Lots of folks on the forum have been quoted $50-100 per tire. Why am I quoted so much more?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I believe that the newer style that is in use in current production are more expensive. I have two sets of tires and was looking at doing the upgrade but passed because of the cost of 8 new sensors.

• Like x 1
  3. apacheguy

Yes, but I have a classic and it is only compatible with the old Baolongs. That's my understanding at least.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Then Tire Rack sells them much cheaper! I bought some there and I believe they were about $70 each. They work fine.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

Every now and then you can swap between Baolongs and Continentals. I've done it for about $50 each.

• Informative x 1
  6. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

And if anyone needs a new model I have it for $115. (2/3 of retail)

7. green1

green1 Active Member

TPMS from tesla are $50 in the USA. I suspect the higher price is to account for labour for installation.

• Informative x 1
  8. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

The sensors that go inside the wheels are $50 each from Tesla. The remainder might be installation, since the tires have to be unmounted, the sensors replaced, tires remounted and balanced. But $120 sounds high for that.

On the other hand, are you sure they're talking about the TPMS sensors in the wheels? Any chance they were talking about a TPMS receiver in the wheel well?

• Like x 1
  9. apacheguy

Yes, this is for the sensor only. Car is in for annual service and wheels need to be unmounted and realigned any way so the bulk of the labor should be included.

10. whitex

whitex Member

Few years ago I had Discount Tire install TPMS sensors I provided them when getting new tires, they charged me $10 or $15 per tire to install (I don't remember for sure, but it was nowhere near $120 per tire). This was for a Lexus, not Tesla.

11. mmccord

mmccord Member

I bought a set a few weeks ago @ Paramus and paid $55 each (had my own place install them though). Installer broke one so I stopped @ Paramus to get another one. They charged $50 for that one.

It seems like they just make up the prices as they go along. Too many bad experiences @ Paramus. I'm going to Westchester from now on.

12. Reeler

Reeler 6 Years of Pure EV

I am picking up a set from the Tesla service center in Denver tomorrow for my wife's Model X. I was told $50 each.

• Informative x 1
  13. apacheguy

Wow. So everyone else gets them for $50 each + some nominal install cost. In my case the labor should be minimal since as I've said I'm already doing annual service. And somehow they've decided to do some price gouging. I've escalated this to servicehelpNA. I'll post back on the outcome.

14. Zroiron

Zroiron Poodle Pack Leader

I've seen them on EBay!

15. green1

green1 Active Member

Annual service has to take the wheels off, but not unmount the tires from the rims. That's likely the cost. Why not all tesla directly? I've had good luck asking them to itemise things for me in the past.

16. apacheguy

Turns out the quote was a bit high. Only ended up needing 2 sensors replaced and yes they are $50 each. Also replaced lug nuts for a grand total of $240. They found the TPMS ECU was faulty and that was replaced under goodwill. Pretty reasonable outcome so I'm satisfied.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I hope that price is for a set of 4 ...

18. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

No, that was when we thought it was $170 per.

My price is now $33, and I only have one. As I've always said, 2/3 of retail is my target.

19. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

If the TPMS sensors are faulty, they should be replaced under warranty. Warranty does not cover tire wear, but the TPMS sensors have nothing to do with tire wear.