Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1700 mile road trip in three days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Road-tripped our 2020 Model 3 Standard Plus that we had bought used from Tesla.com in March.

First leg went from Florence, SC to Staunton, VA stopping at superchargers in Archdale, NC and Madison Height, VA. After supercharging to 100% in Staunton, VA, we drove the Blue Ridge Parkway from Afton to Roanoke where we charged again before riding the Parkway again down to Fancy Gap, VA with a few stops and detours along the way.

We charged for a few hours on an RV 50 amp outlet at our campground, then slept in a cabin overnight. We had planned on doing the rest of the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC, but changed our mind and went to Old Salem for a shot of history, then hit the highway over to Roanoke Island, NC, stopping to supercharge in Durham, Rocky Mount, and Plymouth before sleeping at a B&B in Wanchese.

Our final leg was meant to take us onto Ocracoke Island and Cedar Island before making our return trip, but high winds in the Hatteras Inlet had us delayed long enough at the Hatteras Ferry that we canceled our foray onto Ocracoke and went back the way we had come, hitting the supercharger at Kill Devil Hills twice that morning, then Plymouth, Rocky Mount, and finally Fayetteville before arriving back home Monday night.

Honestly, this road trip was one of the better ones I've had. Besides having to carefully plan to accommodate charging, I enjoyed the 30 minute stops to refresh my legs and grab drinks and breaks. Even though we drove 1700 miles, it didn't feel like it. 2 hours between stops actually made the trip feel shorter since my legs and backs never got the ache I'm accustomed to on ICE powered trips where the legs are 4-5 hours a piece.
20220416_080628.jpg
20220416_154156.jpg
Screenshot_20220417-105011_Chrome.jpg
20220415_071057.jpg
20220415_072921.jpg
20220415_074320.jpg
20220415_093546.jpg

For me the goal is to never wait while charging. I almost always figure out how to charge during a meal, or best of all as you did at the campground, while I sleep. If you can hit this goal you beat gasoline in almost every way. (The main hard one is the challenge of detours and changes of mind, until such time as chargers are everywhere.)