Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

175 lb trunk weight limit??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why the trunk weight limit is so low? I read this in the manual. I planned on using this car to pick up some supplies for my business and some of the stuff is heavy. I have a Lexus IS350 now and I can easily fit 10 50lb bags of flour in the trunk and there is no issues. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this!

It must be in kilos because I have gone way beyond that- I have carried a motorcycle on my hitch and it was just over 200 lbs (Zero FX) without issue.. I have also carried a face cord of firewood in my S without issue as well.. which is ~43 cubic feet of wood and and weighs ~ 1100 lbs... no issues.. I had room left over with the seats folded down and could have squeezed more in but I was worried about the weight on the air suspension... car was rock solid and the air suspension kept the car level.... I'm at 75,000 miles - no issues to date.. I run on 19 inch wheels, maybe there is a load issue with the 21's... the damn lawyers probably set the weight limit... My regen was awesome going down hill !!!!!!

This truck has a weight limit of 25 tons, wonder how close they got?

jDOjwDN.jpg

Does anyone know why the trunk weight limit is so low? I read this in the manual. I planned on using this car to pick up some supplies for my business and some of the stuff is heavy. I have a Lexus IS350 now and I can easily fit 10 50lb bags of flour in the trunk and there is no issues. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this!

The limit isn't for the entire trunk -the manual reads: "
Caution: To avoid damage, never load
more than 175 lbs (80 kg) on the rear load
floor (above the lower trunk
compartment) or more than 130 lbs (60
kg) in the lower trunk compartment.
Doing so can cause damage."

So you can put 130lb in the lower part, plus 175lb on the cover, and more on the part in front off the cover. Seems like you can haul lots of flour! Check the sticker on your driver's door jamb. It'll tell you the total weight the car can carry.

Reactions: Ciaopec
The limit isn't for the entire trunk -the manual reads: "
compartment) or more than 130 lbs (60
kg) in the lower trunk compartment.
Doing so can cause damage."

So you can put 130lb in the lower part, plus 175lb on the cover, and more on the part in front off the cover. Seems like you can haul lots of flour! Check the sticker on your driver's door jamb. It'll tell you the total weight the car can carry.

Ok, awesome! I havent seen the trunk yet, picking up the car tomorrow but I came across that while reading the manual and was confused. Thanks for clarifying! Lots of flour indeed! ;)

I have hauled more than that in landscape materials and chicken feed. One time when it seemed to be sagging I moved 100lbs worth of stuff to the trunk for weight balance.

Now it won't haul like my 1990s Caprice and Roadmaster wagons I used to drive, hauled roofing materials and engines and such in those.

That is the limit the car was designed to if you have full passengers (5 adults). Take a look at your label in the drivers door, it should have a payload of around 925lbs.
The max cargo is calculated by taking that number (say 925), minus 150lbs/passenger = 150*5= 750 lbs. 925-750 = 175lbs cargo.
So if you do not have anyone in your back seats, and you fold the seats down and spread the load evenly you should be able to carry an extra 450 lbs (600 if you have no passengers) to that 175 lbs.

That's how it's calculated for cars. Trucks and SUV's are calculated differently.

And the above statement that you can put 130 in the lower and 175 in the upper at the same time is wrong. They are mutually exclusive.
Since the lower compartment is so far behind the rear axle and you can't level load the weight, they put that as a maximum for the total cargo you can carry. Again with full passengers.
These numbers are based on what the rear axles/bearings/tires/wheels were designed and tested to.

Last edited:
Have you looked up the weight limit of the Lexus?

There's a big difference between spec and "what you can do"

Reactions: SSedan
Ok, awesome! I havent seen the trunk yet, picking up the car tomorrow but I came across that while reading the manual and was confused. Thanks for clarifying! Lots of flour indeed! ;)

IF you are going to participate in this forum, you must STOP reading the manual immediately. This forum’s main purpose is to allow people to post questions that can be answered by reading the manual, or to complain about something that is clearly addressed by the manual. If you read the manual, you will have nothing about which to post, and you will not give others the ability to flame you and tell you to RTFM.

I

This truck has a weight limit of 25 tons, wonder how close they got?

jDOjwDN.jpg
Maybe it's just me today thinking about the tons of mulch,dishwashers, lights, etc, carried in the back of my S but this has to be the funniest post I have seen on the forums. Also, reminds me of our recent move to Florida but with fewer people and more boxes.;)

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
And the above statement that you can put 130 in the lower and 175 in the upper at the same time is wrong. They are mutually exclusive.
Since the lower compartment is so far behind the rear axle and you can't level load the weight, they put that as a maximum for the total cargo you can carry. Again with full passengers.
"Mutually exclusive" doesn't seem to make sense. For the upper board they set a limit before the board will break into two pieces. For the lower compartment it is the limit before the (I assume) plastic might get destroyed.
I checked the German manual and if I translate back to English they actually say "and" instead of "or": so saying: "don't put more than 175lbs on the board AND don't put more than 130lbs in the lower part."

And just a general remark: the limits given my manufacturers need to withstand also driving conditions. Meaning, if you put 130lbs in the lower compartment, then it needs to withstand highway driving with some severe bumps in the road. So if you drive slowly on an even road I am sure the lower compartment would survive more than twice the load.

"Mutually exclusive" doesn't seem to make sense. For the upper board they set a limit before the board will break into two pieces. For the lower compartment it is the limit before the (I assume) plastic might get destroyed.
I checked the German manual and if I translate back to English they actually say "and" instead of "or": so saying: "don't put more than 175lbs on the board AND don't put more than 130lbs in the lower part."

And just a general remark: the limits given my manufacturers need to withstand also driving conditions. Meaning, if you put 130lbs in the lower compartment, then it needs to withstand highway driving with some severe bumps in the road. So if you drive slowly on an even road I am sure the lower compartment would survive more than twice the load.

Could be but European cargo limits are calculated differently so and would make sense for Europe (you calculate the same way we do for trucks, what does your door sticker say for how much cargo you can carry?)

Could be but European cargo limits are calculated differently so and would make sense for Europe
First: the values given by Tesla are identical: also in the German manual they talk about the identical 175 and 130 lbs for both parts. So no difference for these maximum load values.
Second: Cargo limits might vary by regulation, true, but they refer to the total weight and load of a car. So in the registration paper we have the total empty weight of the car and the total maximum weight including load of the car. Regulation or registration does not ask for max load of individual components like frunk, trunk, compartments, glove box, whatever ... and is typically not related to safe driving. So it is not really safety relevant when your glove box falls apart while driving (actually you might get distracted as well :)).
So Tesla just put information in the manual that you get an idea how much is safe to be transported on the board and how much in the lower compartment. And here Tesla probably figured out what these components can withstand on the worst road.
These values are anyhow very rough indications because it doesn't say anything about the shape of the object. So I am pretty sure, that the board would break immediately with 175lbs of load if it would be a needle shaped object. And the board can probably withstand much more weight when the object is perfectly flat and matches exactly the rectangular shape of the board. So it is obvious that such kind of information with a single weight value in the manual can give only a rough indication.

I had a need to bring home a load of bricks...I looked at the panel/cover of the foot well and decided that that cover could not take a load of bricks. So - I put a sheet of heavy plywood along the trunk floor, (including the foot well cover) then put my trunk floor mat cover in. This became a load spreader and I no longer felt like my load would collapse the foot well cover.
As I read the "manual" quoted above. [
compartment) or more than 130 lbs]
it seems like they are referring to this "thin" foot well cover.
I agree that it might collapse if given more than 130 lbs.

Reactions: SSedan
I think the rear facing seats are neither mounted in nor on the lower compartment but instead firmly mounted with other parts of the chassis. For crash protection the seats and its mounting need to withstand much higher forces. Therefore I assume (but do not know for sure) the seats are probably mounted and secured firmly with other parts of the chassis. Therefore the weight of the seats plus the weight of the kids when sitting are probably not that much related to the maximum load of the lower compartment.