Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1750kms in a weekend from Tilburg to Madrid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother and I had made a trip to the Autoshow in Geneva in March this year. We had driven about 2,200 km in total from thursday evening to sunday morning. I have decided to take the plane next time (if I can't stay there) or to stay there for a few days and then make the trip to home.

<thread hijack>

We (spouse + 1) just finished a 700 mile trek. Between Austin and Temple (Tx) there were serious wind storms - the like I had never seen. BadA** buffeted even at heavy disposition. Point is: when I got to Waco, I was short on range to make it home. Short by about 20 miles. All this from cross and head winds.

I was four days before ribbon cutting, but Waco was online. And I got a splash and dash and made it home.

(sorry for the US units)

WJ

<thread hijack>

We (spouse + 1) just finished a 700 mile trek. Between Austin and Temple (Tx) there were serious wind storms - the like I had never seen. BadA** buffeted even at heavy disposition. Point is: when I got to Waco, I was short on range to make it home. Short by about 20 miles. All this from cross and head winds.

I was four days before ribbon cutting, but Waco was online. And I got a splash and dash and made it home.

(sorry for the US units)

WJ

That's great WJ. Well done! Getting a boost from a supercharger really must change your experience. It'll be great when we have some here.

So, we made it to Argomaniz with 55kms left (still in the green zone). It is charging now and after a fantastic long lunch and some time for the kids to do their homework we'll be on our way South.

Getting here required a lot of truck slipstreaming and being very very gentle with the accelerator but bearing in mind the mountain pass we had to go through (our peak power use was up at 600Wh/km!) and the distance (350kms) it's good we arrived with so much spare. I feel 7kms per 100m is about right by the way.

Here's a photo of the "charge point" here (they followed my advice and put it inside a closed lockable garage). It's in one of the Parador out-buildings.
charge point Argomaniz with Jesus the Director.jpg

The Parador is a nice place to eat and stay,and the surroundings are awesome. There are a few more pics on our blog, driveandream.wordpress.com.

If you want to follow things as they progress towards Madrid follow our twitter feed (driveandream) or our facebook page (driveandream). We are posting things to the blog as they happen and they feed automatically through.

Last edited:
The impact of elevation changes is really interesting.
I tried to calculate how many Wh you need to "lift" the car 100m in elevation. Just the pure potential energy you add to the car. I think I failed as my result is 600 Wh for 100m. So that would only be 3 to 4 km range loss for a 100m rise.
Anyone out there that ever calculated this?

The formula is:

E=m g h

m = vehicle weight in kg
g = 9,81 m/s/s
h = elevation change in m

You get Joules, that you convert in kWh by dividing /3600/1000

Example :
m = 2 400 kg ( 2 100 for Model S + 300 for passengers and luggage)
h = 100 m

E = 2 400 * 9,81 * 100 = 2 354 400 J
2 354 400 / 3 600 / 1000 = 0,654 kWh additional energy consumption for 100 m elevation.

... so 155 wh/km ? In a brand new car you don't know yet ? you did extremely well !

Thanks. The best I can do on flat land at sea level over an average of 50kms on the energy screen is 165Wh/km. Let's see if I do better up here on the Meseta (high up bit that is most of Spain).

I would definitely drive these 5 km from the Novotel to fastcharge 2hrs at Ikea before leaving to Tours. Give your family a fun ride today !

I have to say that this was the best possible advice. the IKEA chargers were totally fantastic. Each cost 20k€ plus 5k€ to install (I spoke to Pierre, the maintenance guy in Tours) but that is money well spent! I also must say that it is really nice of Nissan to put in chargers that we can all use. Not something that can be said of Tesla unfortunately even though it benefits us Tesla owners being that way :(

We went at 110km/h and 120km/h and the power use went up to 220Wh/km. Speed is the key way to gain or lose range for sure.

And you could always use these two hours building the nikwest adapter if you feel like.

I have two Open EVSE kits at home waiting to be assembled. With the right size of relays I could make a portable wall box with those right? Seeing as we have 32A 3-phase red sockets here the difference is worth taking advantage of (120km instead of 60km per hour).

i am just back from the AUTOSTADT in Wolfsburg. My daughter got her new "GOLF" car, unfortunatly not the e-model. Hope its the last gasser in my family.
I drove 365km from home to Wolfsburg always trying to do 120km/h but not faster. It took 3.5h to go there. my managed to do 190Wh/km.
I returned today not driving faster then 100km/h (execept for 20km, it did max. 120km/h) and my average went down to 185Wh/km for the hole trip (730km) or I did 180Wh/km for the second leg.

When i picked up my Model S in Munic, i did my first 200km with 155Wh/km not driving faster than 90km/h because i had a friend with my, driving my Roadster which consumed around 105Wh/h for the same trip. But i went downhill from 520m to 300m as well. I made the same expirience, the roadster seems to be more speedsensitive than the Model S.

In France you can top off your S at some Ikea locations. I have successfully used the charger at Ikea in Reimes.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/fr_FR/france/bornes_recharge.html

Without your feedback we realize that Mark wouldn't have been able to make it through France according to its original plans. Do you mind if I update ChargeMap with information in English intended to Model S owners (following your positive experience) ?

(Same question goes for you, Mark)

Without your feedback we realize that Mark wouldn't have been able to make it through France according to its original plans. Do you mind if I update ChargeMap with information in English intended to Model S owners (following your positive experience) ?

I agree. It is vital information for everyone. Please add in Tours that the machine needs reset just about every time you recharge (I tried to charge again after getting a full charge and it wouldn't work) so people need to know to ask for a maintenance guy (Pierre) to come out and give the machine the equivalent of the "three finger salute" :)

Might I add again that Pierre is a fantastic guy and he really really helped.

For an update to the 1750km trip... we are about to set off on our final leg. We will stop off at the Parador in Lerma where they also have a 22kW outlet prepared (although without a portable wall box we will only use 11kW). Should be home around 2am :)

Tomorrow evening there will be a press and TV event in the center of Madrid and Thursday is the Champaigne party at a cafe/restaurant near home for anyone in the Madrid area.

Sure. Anything helping users is valuable. Glad to hear that Marc made it. I was a bit concerned ... Though we all know it's all about speed. I guess with the S you even have to be more disciplined than with the roadster.

Just to let you all know we arrived in Madrid a few hours ago with about 50kms of charge left. The climbs were steep but so were the drops, and keeping the speed low and steady did the trick. As I said on the blog post, 1750kms in a weekend, 4 countries, 5 people, 6 charge stops.

So, who's turn is it next to do a European road trip? :)

Just to let you all know we arrived in Madrid a few hours ago with about 50kms of charge left. The climbs were steep but so were the drops, and keeping the speed low and steady did the trick. As I said on the blog post, 1750kms in a weekend, 4 countries, 5 people, 6 charge stops.

Congrats great story!

I think some people from Sweden are picking up their cars at Tilburg so they will have a long trip too.

I will being making a mini-trip from The Netherlands to the UK via the Eurotunnel and back at the beginning of October.
It will be about 1400 km round trip.

My problem will be the lack of fast chargers between South Mimms in the UK and Antwerp.
I have already managed to get two UK EV charging companies to send me cards plus I have a Dutch charge card.
I intend to visit ANWB in Breda, Total Antwerp and I hope the Calais Renault dealer will be kind.
I will be visiting relatives so most of the time I will be using the 13amp plug :frown: and staying overnight to top up.
I have bought a Type 2 cable, a 32amp to 16amp 3 phase converter and I will make a UK plug to Dutch socket for the 13 amp.
I would like to have the 32amp single phase blue plug to use in the UK but it probably won't be available in time.
Fortunately some of the UK motorway stops now have 22 kW Type 2. Although I am not sure if I will be able to get onto them due to other cars or ICE vehicles taking the spots. Still educating people is part of the experience :wink:

I have bought a Type 2 cable, a 32amp to 16amp 3 phase converter and I will make a UK plug to Dutch socket for the 13 amp.
I would like to have the 32amp single phase blue plug to use in the UK but it probably won't be available in time.

Normally, a 13A plug -> blue socket would be more useful than your 13A -> Dutch socket (charge at 13A rather than 10A).

But if you don't have the blue adapter at the Tesla end, you could consider a 13A plug to 3-phase socket (all phases connected), like the one described by mgemmel back in post #9 of this thread - it didn't do what he wanted because the car/UMC limited to 16A, but that's more than you've got with the 13A anyhow.

Either of these involves dialing down the current in the car, but from a safety point of view you are protected by the fuse in the 13A plug.

It's been a nice and exciting trip. Could seem a daring one, but your skills and experience as a roadster driver made the difference ! Bravo !

- - - Updated - - -

ChargeMap database :

update complete !
Any volunteer to test one of the 1,100 Autolib' stations ?

- - - Updated - - -

the IKEA chargers were totally fantastic. Each cost 20k€ plus 5k€ to install (I spoke to Pierre, the maintenance guy in Tours) but that is money well spent! I also must say that it is really nice of Nissan to put in chargers that we can all use.

Right. I also think they are expensive because of their DC capability. Would have been useful to benefit from the 50 kW! Do we really have to give up the hope of a Chademo adapter? I don't see any SC online yet...

I have two Open EVSE kits at home waiting to be assembled. With the right size of relays I could make a portable wall box with those right? Seeing as we have 32A 3-phase red sockets here the difference is worth taking advantage of (120km instead of 60km per hour).
I just don't see why the UMC is limited to 11 kW max... I would of course be very interested if you can do it, and keep us informed of your progress building it...

The impact of elevation changes is really interesting.
I tried to calculate how many Wh you need to "lift" the car 100m in elevation. Just the pure potential energy you add to the car. I think I failed as my result is 600 Wh for 100m. So that would only be 3 to 4 km range loss for a 100m rise.
Anyone out there that ever calculated this?

I've found in the Colorado Rockies that if I use 6 mi rated range per 1000 ft elevation change, that I am pretty close. So that it 9.65 km/305 m or 3.17 km/100 m. My guess is that a 3 km/100 m or if you want, 3.2 km/100 m rule of thumb is pretty close.

We (my wife, 3 teenage kids and I) are about to embark on this trip. Tomorrow we fly to Rotterdam, then taxi to Tilburg, and then we pick up and drive the Model S South to its new home near Madrid, Spain.

Should be a breeze if the charge points work and the driving is good. Could be a nightmare if any one of the charge points fails to work, or the adapters and cables I have fail. Ah the joys of being an EV pioneer :) !

I wanted to document our trip for you all here so that anyone else planning to go South to Spain, or the South West of France, could follow our tracks and benefit from our experience.

I have written a few blog posts in driveandream.wordpress.com, but this is a summary so far...

View attachment 29932
This is a high level route plan that we (Drive and dream electric car tour experience) prepare for our trips. It gives a general feeling for the journey and some of the key highlights such as overnight stops, lunch stops, and things to see along the way.

Our trip is broken into 5 stages:
  1. Tilburg to Novotel Terminal CDG Paris (394km). Recharge with their blue single-phase 32A socket. I hope it and the single to three phase adapter that I built works!
  2. CDG to Tours (264km). Recharge over lunch at IKEA. I hope the charge point is not occupied and actually works (again).
  3. Tours to Pullman Bordeaux Aquitania Hotel (353km). They are preparing a red 32A socket but I can't get them to confirm that it has actually been done! More worries...
  4. Bordeaux to the Parador at Argomaniz, Spain (343km). I have spoken to the maintenance guy and am confident they will have a red 32A socket ready for us to charge during lunch.
  5. Argomaniz to Villanueva del Pardillo (389km). Back home and ready for work and school the next day!

We will be documenting everything in the aforementioned blog (driveandream.wordpress.com) but when internet coverage and time allow we will write special entries here for the TMC.

hi friend,
i am from Hospitalet Llobregat.I have planned to buy Tesla S next year, some questions:
1-i have family in Benidorm.Can i have Paradores' chargers available for the trip? At which KWh ?
2-Have you claimed succesfully the 6000€ public fund for EV?
thanks in advance!

Normally, a 13A plug -> blue socket would be more useful than your 13A -> Dutch socket (charge at 13A rather than 10A).
Thanks - problem is the blue 32A is not yet available. Also fyi Dutch single phase can deliver 16A rather than 10A although Tesla has limited that option to 13A for reasons best known to Tesla - hence the decision for a dutch socket so that I can get 13A !