Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#179 - Thunder Grey/Saddle Leather - Los Altos, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S price increase is causing me to pull the trigger and list my 1.5.

14K miles, excellent condition, another service left before warranty expires. It's been regularly serviced, battery has a clean bill of health, and I've only hand-washed it (never been to a carwash). Asking $69,000.

Photo uploads keep failing. See photos here: Tesla Roadster #179 - a set on Flickr

It includes...
- Roadster #179 (1.5)
- 3M Paint Shield
- Brand New Performance Tires on all 4 wheels
- Soft Top
- Hard Top
- Universal Mobile Connector
- Spare Connector
- High Power Connector (available for extra cost)
- Henry Sharp J-1772 Connector (super portable, much better than Tesla's)
- Tesla-installed backup camera
- Xenon headlight upgrade
- Owner's Manual in aluminum case
- Original JVC head unit (with boxes, remote, etc.)
- Front licence plate bracket (never installed, bumper never drilled)
- Carpool lane stickers (tastefully applied)

Debating where to post it, but PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
You posted on my thread as well so I thought I'd give you some insight into what I experienced in selling mine. I had several lowball (in my opinion) offers in the low $50's. I had two other offers that I would consider to be 'serious' offers. I sold it, all in (with HPC included) in the low $60's.

It may be a while yet before you will easily find one near $50K.

Thanks MAPC for the insight. I just drove a Roadster for the first time today as well as the Model S Performance. 2 very different driving experiences. The Roadster was exhilarating to drive and the Model S packed with punch in a luxury shell. It was a bit of a challenge getting in and out of the Roadster but I'm sure I can get advise on that! My wife expressed concerns that the Roadster sits so low that another car/SUV/truck might not see me driving as I do a lot of highway back and forth between NY and NJ. I can't afford the Model S mid-range battery, getting a used Roadster without or little warranty scares me. The Porsche Cayman looks nice and I'm considering that although the environmentalist part of me shirks a bit......

I'd never by a Porsche, especially the Cayman. My friend, a girl had one, nothing but issues... actually make that two girls I know. Its a fun SUV but tons of $$$ issues. Also the Porsche Dealer / Service tried to BS my friend about her issues on a warrantied car, they told me that the radiator leak I smelled was normal to all cars. After calling their BS they found the leak. Also they said this car was made with space age metals that are different than any other metals built in other cars... I asked about a thumping I felt coming through the steering wheel, they said these space age metals would magnify any sound. It turned out to be a fuel pressure relay that was going bad (After I called their BS). I then told him I've been working on cars since I was 12 and now own an electric car so I'm more in tune with things and my senses, he then was trying to be my buddy after that.

Beware when you see a garage floor that is shining and looks way too clean, that's what you'll see in a Porsche Dealership garage. That was my 1st clue that something isn't right, they spend more time cleaning for the presentation and act rather than digging into and spending that time looking into the real issue.

Wiztecy-
Sorry to hear that your friends have had bad P-car experiences. I have owned 3- al of which were 100% perfect vehicles- never a day's trouble. The Boxster S that I sold to buy the Roadster was one of the best cars I have ever owned.

PS- the Cayman is NOT an SUV- it is a mid engined two seater that many would argue is the best handling Porsche ever built.

whoops, my bad, the friend's Porsche's that had all the issues was a Cayenne not Cayman. The Cayman really looks nice now that I can put the right pic to the name! Thanks for the correction. They both of my friend's Cayennes were 2008 models. My one friend had I believe a 2004 which she loved and didn't have any issues hence why she bought the 2008. And from that experience she said its her last. Possibly it was a bad year of Cayennes. However the SF Porsche and the Stevens Creek Porsche dearler and service center both pushed back on doing any repairs on them and gave them a hard time. I think that was the final staw for the Porsche name for those girls. Glad you had a good experience with your Boxer.

You posted on my thread as well so I thought I'd give you some insight into what I experienced in selling mine. I had several lowball (in my opinion) offers in the low $50's. I had two other offers that I would consider to be 'serious' offers. I sold it, all in (with HPC included) in the low $60's.

It may be a while yet before you will easily find one near $50K.

From the buyer's side, I echo MAPC's view of the Roadster market. As a buyer, I would have a hard time going to the high 60's or 70's for a 1.5, but I also expect to have a hard time finding a seller in the mid or upper 50's (much less low 50's). That's from what I've seen over the last 3-5 months of watching the Roadster market.

From the buyer's side, I echo MAPC's view of the Roadster market. As a buyer, I would have a hard time going to the high 60's or 70's for a 1.5, but I also expect to have a hard time finding a seller in the mid or upper 50's (much less low 50's). That's from what I've seen over the last 3-5 months of watching the Roadster market.

If anyone is serioulsy looking for a nice 1.5, I would encourage you to reach out to Tim, the person whos Roadster is listed in this posting. I have chatted with him extensively when our two cars- with nearly the exact same specs- were for sale at the same time and less than 10 miles apart.

I think that there are plenty of Roadsters to be had between upper 50's and low/mid 60's depending on mileage, etc. I don't think market is in the high 60's any longer and certainly not in the 70's.

- - - Updated - - -

So MAPC. How would you compare the Boxter to the Roadster in terms of the drive?

Completely different experiences. Each one exceptional in their own right. I have no regrets about selling the P-car to experience the Roadster and stick my toe into the electric car water. Having said that, now that I am getting my Model S, I am thinking about looking for a 993 C4S- a Porsche that I have always wanted to own, as my play car. I am just someone that enjoys the pleasure of a clutch and a manual transmission for a truly engaged driving experience. Many will challenge that statement, and can probably make some great points against me, but it boils down to personal experience.

I have owned a lot of cars in my day- more than I'd care to admit - and my 987 S was one of the best.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I can get a Boxter (not the S) or a Cayman (not the S) in the low 50's new, while the Roadster for the same price would be a 2008 with a few months of warrantee left. Any thoughts about that given I put on about 25,000 miles/year? Also curious to hear if anyone has had problems on the road with SUV's/Trucks not seeing the Roadster as it sits low? I haven't had a test drive with the Porsche yet but the Roadster was wild!

They are just completely different cars. Also, the economics are different in that you would have a warranty with the Boxster or Cayman but you'd also have a lot more depreciation in buying a brand new car. Boxster is also 1.5 seconds slower 0-60 than the 1.5.

A new Boxster in the low 50's would have very few options on it. No metallic paint, no navigation, no heated seats, no PDK.....

Idk how flexible Porsche is with their prices. I know that there is about a $7K markup on the MSRP without the options. I'm going to Porsche tomorrow to test drive the Boxster as there are no Cayman's on the lot. I'll get back to you with my experience with the drive and the cost. MAPC, nobody is answering if there are any issues with SUV's/Trucks not seeing you on the highway due to sitting low. I do a lot of highway driving and there are stretches where there are a lot of trucks so your opinion would be helpful. Thanks again so much:)