Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18”? 19”? 20”? 21”? MYP decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up our new ‘23 MYP. I’m finding the ride quality totally acceptable so far. We also have a ‘22 MYLR with Redwood GT suspension. My wife’s car.
I’m not liking the way the Uberturbine wheels stick out farther than the tires. It’s just asking for curb rash. I also don’t like how much they impact range. So I’m starting to consider alternatives.
My most important factors:
1) Ride quality. I don’t want a harsh ride over road imperfections.
2) 0-60 times. I’d like to make it as quick as possible.
3) Range. The more miles, the better.
4) Prevent curb rash.

Which is the best size wheel/tire combination to achieve those factors?

Last edited:
I like the 19s I put on mine. For the first 4,000 miles or so mine was good. Suspension became quite a bit noiser and harsher after that. It's not terrible but significantly worse than my previous LR. With the 19s it's better but dampers still noisy and it's pretty bouncy due to lowered ride height....range is better, tire noise reduced, and ride more comfortable.

I like the 19s I put on mine. For the first 4,000 miles or so mine was good. Suspension became quite a bit noiser and harsher after that. It's not terrible but significantly worse than my previous LR. With the 19s it's better but dampers still noisy and it's pretty bouncy due to lowered ride height....range is better, tire noise reduced, and ride more comfortable.
I just picked up my Geminis over the weekend and have the same exact thoughts. At 7k miles now. It's "less annoying" to drive - to put it simply. But I'll be putting the Uberturbines back on when it's warm out, and the roads are salt-free.

Keep beating this dead horse. The search bar is your friend.
What, specifically, would I search for that answers all my specific requirements?
I’ve seen a lot of wheel/tire threads, but none that address what I’m looking for.
Some folks seem to like the 18” and 19” variants due to lighter weights. If 19” is good, is 18” better? Does a narrow 18” provide the best 0-60? No spinning?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deaf Paul
I recently picked up our new ‘23 MYP. I’m finding the ride quality totally acceptable so far. We also have a ‘22 MYLR with Redwood GT suspension. My wife’s car.
I’m not liking the way the Uberturbine wheels stick out farther than the tires. It’s just asking for curb rash. I also don’t like how much they impact range. So I’m starting to consider alternatives.
4) Prevent curb rash.

I personally think going to larger rubber than stock with a correspondingly higher load range allows you to run the tire pressure much lower while giving you the same load range as stock, I have 20" inductions on my MYAWD, it did come with the new "comfort suspension" but with the stock rubber (255/40/20 load range 101) at 42 psi it was not a great ride, lowered to 40 psi and not much improvement, at 22 miles on the car I switched the tires out to Continental DWS06 in a 275/40/20 with a load range of 106, lowered the tire pressure to 35 psi and WOW! this transformed the car! so much so that it makes me question my choice to get the Ohlins GT from Redwood's (have placed the order) But I figure why not just have the best ride/handling combo available!

After all the great input from various sources and my own research, I went with the TSPORTLINE TST 18” in satin black with 245/50 tires.
Those should be comfy, I just ordered a set of Apex vs-5rs in the 20 x 9, 19.6 lbs.! hopefully they hold up, I will put 275/40 on them for added protection. putting my Inductions up in the marketplace now (shameless plug!)

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
4) Prevent curb rash.

The ride quality is only acceptable on pererct roads. The bumps are too jarring for my taste. I'm going to try a 20" wheel with thicker sidewalls to see if it helps any.

Definitely helps the ride quality. Look for a light wheel. I have a 2023 MYP with revised suspension and went with 20x10 with 275/40, and I’m happy with the ride quality overall. And it still corners the best of any crossover I’ve ever driven. Using all weather tires and I average 270wh/mi. I don’t normally worry about what speed I’m driving so that’s a pretty accurate number.

CC1F69CF-303F-4825-874C-F78E63BD6032.jpeg

I personally think going to larger rubber than stock with a correspondingly higher load range allows you to run the tire pressure much lower while giving you the same load range as stock, I have 20" inductions on my MYAWD, it did come with the new "comfort suspension" but with the stock rubber (255/40/20 load range 101) at 42 psi it was not a great ride, lowered to 40 psi and not much improvement, at 22 miles on the car I switched the tires out to Continental DWS06 in a 275/40/20 with a load range of 106, lowered the tire pressure to 35 psi and WOW! this transformed the car! so much so that it makes me question my choice to get the Ohlins GT from Redwood's (have placed the order) But I figure why not just have the best ride/handling combo available!
Why did you lower tire pressure so much just curious ? Can you run it stock tire pressure or is it harsh?

I am super hopeful to try this build I also have a 2023 model Y tires 20 inductions and the ride quality I just feel every road imperfection. It’s been disappointing

Why did you lower tire pressure so much just curious ? Can you run it stock tire pressure or is it harsh?
because of this tire pressure calculator, going from a load range of 101 to 106, the stock 42 is equivalent to between 35 and 36 psi
I have ran stock pressure and it is a noticeably difference, running under 38 psi is the sweet spot, I have recently went to about 37 to 38 to keep from the low tire pressure warnings as the bluetooth tpms sensors cannot be reset to a lower pressure

When do you notice you need improvement should I not try the 270s build ? Thank you for your guidance
I am looking for the most civilized ride I can get without giving up the handling qualities, the larger tire makes a difference especially when running lower pressures in the 37 to 38 psi range (note that with the larger tires and a 106 load rating you are still over the load rating of the oem tire on 20's) while at first I was happy with these changes I do still feel the oem dampers engaging the bump stops all too often, I would rather have more suspension travel, a superior designed damper and while i'm asking the best quality springs, this is what the Ohlins dfv damper brings to the table and tuned for comfort with superior parts is where Redwood Motorsports comes in, I expect the vast majority of the ride comfort to come from these, will know more soon after the install.

Reactions: Benzz
After lot of research any many back and forth canceling orders on tire rack I decided to just get Tsportline 18 TST” I hope it works out
you can always add the Ohlins dampers later if you decided you wanted more, you can step up in height to a 255/55/18 as many have done to get maximum sidewall, its an inch taller tire so the car would be 1/2" higher, probably less as there will be more sidewall flex?

Reactions: Noflash