Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18” Ev01+ (fast ev) wheels on performance model 3 - how’s the wh/mile? Are you getting the efficiency close to the long range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to bring up an old topic I asked... I ended up getting a 2021 LR but I had that option of a performance but now I wonder how the kw/mile would’ve been and the efficiency If I went with the ev01+ 18”s and a range focused tire. if anyone could give their average kw/mile it would be much appreciated! Maybe I’ll make the proper choice in the future...

Sorry to bring up an old topic I asked... I ended up getting a 2021 LR but I had that option of a performance but now I wonder how the kw/mile would’ve been and the efficiency If I went with the ev01+ 18”s and a range focused tire. if anyone could give their average kw/mile it would be much appreciated! Maybe I’ll make the proper choice in the future...
@Tesoso I think this was well covered in your last thread on the topic:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...their-actual-added-range-miles-please.263940/

Especially this reply:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6609123/

What is making you still think about the P?

Honestly, if the LR vs P range difference matters that much to you, then the P would be a waste of money. Yes you can achieve LR efficiency with a P, but not if you actually use the extra performance!

Reactions: Tesoso
Upvote 0
Well said. I am a newbie with tesla, wheels/tires, and EVs in general. Currently, we do not have a Lvl 2 home charge station so I must charge frequently to a supercharger, and I’m thinking I’m always range conscious because of that. I think if I had it installed I’d go to town with the acceleration on the Tesla. Oh well, too late. Maybe next time. My main concern was range though so I couldn’t help it and the acceleration Fun part was later but it seems the lack of a level2 home charger was in the back of my mind, forgotten, and is what made me extra range-anxiety conscious.

Upvote 0
Ah, and after inspecting the performance with 14k miles, with the 20 inch wheels, the max retention was 285 miles at 100%. It made me doubt if going to eV wheels and range efficient tires could bump it up close to the LR EPA. in the end I think I wanted the acceleration but maybe next time...

Upvote 0
If you just want quicker acceleration, $2k for Acceleration Boost is a much better value than $7k+ extra for an M3P. Add AB to your M3LR and call it a day. 👍

Note enabling AB will only reduce your efficiency when you actually use the extra acceleration. Otherwise, no change. If you'll never use it then it's a waste of money too of course, but if you'll get to occasionally stomp on the accelerator at low speeds then AB seems like a good option for you.

M3P is only worth it if you'll actually put Track Mode and the bigger brakes to use. Or if you're a serious acceleration junkie...but then you should get a Model S instead ;). Personally I don't think the M3P is worth it for 0-60 alone. Just my opinion as an M3P owner!

Reactions: Clivew and Tesoso
Upvote 0
Also, if it helps, I think the M3P is due for an acceleration improvement soon. One that will probably involve new hardware from the factory, not a software change to existing cars. If that happens you might even be glad you didn't bother with today's M3P!

I've zero inside info on this, it's just my guess based on the state of the competing car market and the improved powertrain tech that Tesla's already shown they have.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I have a 2020 M3LR with 20 inch wheels. Before I ordered it, I asked a one of the people at the Tesla Service Center how the 20 inch wheels would affect my range. At that time Tesla claimed the M3LR got 323 miles of range when charged to 100%. He told me that my range would be reduced to about 310 miles. I hated the look of the 18 inch wheels and loved the look of the 20 inch wheels so I opted for them. Since then, I've only charged the car to 100% twice. The first time the car indicated 309 miles of range. That was just a few days after I bought the car. The second time, about a year later, the car indicated 308 miles of range at 100% SOC. Also, for what it's worth, after spending about 16 years driving in L.A. I don't think you'll have many opportunities to take full advantage of the acceleration of the Performance version, and personally I think the acceleration in the long range is more than enough, unless you take the car to the track.

Upvote 0
The primary thing that affects range is the tires. The primary reason the LR Model 3 with 18" wheels gets such great range is the MXM4 tires it comes with. The aero wheel covers are a smaller added bonus. I do have the EV01+ in 18" on my model 3 performance, but I also have Pilot Sport 4 (non S) tires which are pretty medium when it comes to rolling resistance.

If you put the MXM4 tires on them you absolutely should get the same range as an LR model on 3 on the 18" wheel/tire package though.

Upvote 0
I think you should allocate that money you're planning on spending on rims/tires towards an at-home L2 charger. That would eliminate your need to constantly find a supercharger and range anxiety. Also, you don't have to go with Tesla's Wall Connector; plenty of 3rd party solutions that will work fine. My home setup is just a 30A circuit using a NEMA 14-50 plug and the Tesla Mobile Connector. Completely covers all my weekly charging requirements.

Upvote 0
I think you should allocate that money you're planning on spending on rims/tires towards an at-home L2 charger. That would eliminate your need to constantly find a supercharger and range anxiety. Also, you don't have to go with Tesla's Wall Connector; plenty of 3rd party solutions that will work fine. My home setup is just a 30A circuit using a NEMA 14-50 plug and the Tesla Mobile Connector. Completely covers all my weekly charging requirements.
I have the same set up at my house. It only cost $200 to install and it charges my M3 at a rate of about 30 miles of range per hour

Reactions: Tesoso and euro.r
Upvote 0
@Tesoso Don't feel bad if you can't get L2 charging setup as cheaply as @Shelburne or @euro.r. The cost really depends on what's needed for your home, especially if you don't have an electrician neighbor hooking you up for almost free. :)

In my case I paid $1300-ish (I forget the exact amount) back in 2014, and that was the cheapest of six (6) estimates/quotes I got, when paying for the electrician to handle permitting as well. Some installs are just more complex than others, and of course skilled service labor costs vary wildly based depending on where you live.

In my case I needed a main breaker upgrade, and also needed somewhat complicated in-wall + in-ceiling run, to get from the back of my home (electrical panel) to the garage in front.

Also, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you get a Tesla Wall Connector. Don't bother with a NEMA outlet for daily charging in your own home anymore. That used to make more sense, because the original Tesla Wall Connector was like $1500, and but now a Wall Connector is way cheaper, and electrical code has changed so if you put a new outlet in for car charging (not hardwired wall connector) it must be on a GFCI breaker which is extra $$$ and often has nuisance trip issues. Plus the newer Tesla mobile connectors are only 32A max charge rate instead of 40A like the original ones.

So I have a NEMA 14-50 at home because back in 2014 it made more sense, but now I would never bother with that, unless it was just at like a family member's home where I just want the ability to charge on occasional visits. At my own home I would 100% put in a Wall Connector now for daily or frequent charging use. Safer, more reliable, nicer cabling, faster charging, and roughly equal cost (vs extra mobile connector + high quality 14-50 outlet + GFCI breaker). And the Tesla Wall Connector has pretty good power sharing capabilities should you ever need those in the future.

Upvote 0
@Tesoso Don't feel bad if you can't get L2 charging setup as cheaply as @Shelburne or @euro.r. The cost really depends on what's needed for your home, especially if you don't have an electrician neighbor hooking you up for almost free. :)

In my case I paid $1300-ish (I forget the exact amount) back in 2014, and that was the cheapest of six (6) estimates/quotes I got, when paying for the electrician to handle permitting as well. Some installs are just more complex than others, and of course skilled service labor costs vary wildly based depending on where you live.

In my case I needed a main breaker upgrade, and also needed somewhat complicated in-wall + in-ceiling run, to get from the back of my home (electrical panel) to the garage in front.

Also, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you get a Tesla Wall Connector. Don't bother with a NEMA outlet for daily charging in your own home anymore. That used to make more sense, because the original Tesla Wall Connector was like $1500, and but now a Wall Connector is way cheaper, and electrical code has changed so if you put a new outlet in for car charging (not hardwired wall connector) it must be on a GFCI breaker which is extra $$$ and often has nuisance trip issues. Plus the newer Tesla mobile connectors are only 32A max charge rate instead of 40A like the original ones.

So I have a NEMA 14-50 at home because back in 2014 it made more sense, but now I would never bother with that, unless it was just at like a family member's home where I just want the ability to charge on occasional visits. At my own home I would 100% put in a Wall Connector now for daily or frequent charging use. Safer, more reliable, nicer cabling, faster charging, and roughly equal cost (vs extra mobile connector + high quality 14-50 outlet + GFCI breaker). And the Tesla Wall Connector has pretty good power sharing capabilities should you ever need those in the future.
Oh my there are a lot of replies... the funny thing is today I was trying to get in touch with ev charging and Michelin tires mxm4s and SOMEHOW got them BOTH done today... both. the electrician charged 1.1k for a 50v on the spot when he was just coming to inspect. And I somehow found tires at a auto shop and has it attached on the same day... I guess it worked out?? I’m still shocked how things happened today.. tires were supposed to be out I’m 4 weeks or longer - the charging I didn’t think would work out... im waiting for an adapter for the nema that’s coming in a day or two

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I have a 2020 M3LR with 20 inch wheels. Before I ordered it, I asked a one of the people at the Tesla Service Center how the 20 inch wheels would affect my range. At that time Tesla claimed the M3LR got 323 miles of range when charged to 100%. He told me that my range would be reduced to about 310 miles. I hated the look of the 18 inch wheels and loved the look of the 20 inch wheels so I opted for them. Since then, I've only charged the car to 100% twice. The first time the car indicated 309 miles of range. That was just a few days after I bought the car. The second time, about a year later, the car indicated 308 miles of range at 100% SOC. Also, for what it's worth, after spending about 16 years driving in L.A. I don't think you'll have many opportunities to take full advantage of the acceleration of the Performance version, and personally I think the acceleration in the long range is more than enough, unless you take the car to the track.
You are so right about LA, but I’ve been having to go on the highway so much I’m fed up and would still like to go on acceleration on “occasion” I mean... just HAVING the powa... hahah I don’t know, but I needed that efficiency badly but now I’m thinking back to performance.... English is hard haha

Upvote 0
The primary thing that affects range is the tires. The primary reason the LR Model 3 with 18" wheels gets such great range is the MXM4 tires it comes with. The aero wheel covers are a smaller added bonus. I do have the EV01+ in 18" on my model 3 performance, but I also have Pilot Sport 4 (non S) tires which are pretty medium when it comes to rolling resistance.

If you put the MXM4 tires on them you absolutely should get the same range as an LR model on 3 on the 18" wheel/tire package though.
Could you provide me a wat/mile on an average drive? it’s ok if it’s sort of off vs how we would drive but it’s something i could go off of. This is regarding the performance ev01+

Upvote 0
Could you provide me a wat/mile on an average drive? it’s ok if it’s sort of off vs how we would drive but it’s something i could go off of. This is regarding the performance ev01+
There is a youtube video where they test that wheel in a controlled test, go check that out. Much better than trying to find a 5% difference in data with noise of 50%

• Helpful
Upvote 0
After getting my Michelin’s and seeing the kw/mil go waay down I can believe this. The tire is so much important as the wheel. and after seeing this video (which I recall before too) I Guess I’ll be ready for a performance next time Knowing what to buy for them; i didn’t have the faith that the tire wheel combo would work on a P And actually lower consumption but I really believe now and I’ll be ready next time 👍- I had the battery degradation on the car to worry about the Absolute most because that was the biggest issue with my 2 previous m3s I tried because of their higher mileage.. next time for sure though 👍👍👍

Upvote 0
After getting my Michelin’s and seeing the kw/mil go waay down I can believe this. The tire is so much important as the wheel. and after seeing this video (which I recall before too) I Guess I’ll be ready for a performance next time Knowing what to buy for them; i didn’t have the faith that the tire wheel combo would work on a P And actually lower consumption but I really believe now and I’ll be ready next time 👍- I had the battery degradation on the car to worry about the Absolute most because that was the biggest issue with my 2 previous m3s I tried because of their higher mileage.. next time for sure though 👍👍👍
Be sure to check out the charging subforum, lots of tips there on preserving battery. Mostly just keep your car at a low SOC as much as possible, and in cool temps.

Good luck!

• Love
Upvote 0