Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18” or 19” Wheels for Winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m planning on buying a Model 3 AWD. I’m in Canada and get a lot of snow, but I’ve managed just fine without winter tires so far, so I’m not planning on getting those.

I’m stuck deciding between 18” and 19” wheels. Normally I’d want the 18” for winter driving (extra clearance for sticky snow and traction), but with all the extra weight of a Tesla and the fact that 20” is an option, I wonder if I would be fine with 19”.

Has anyone driven with both sizes in winter? What’s the best wheel size option for both summer and winter?

I’m planning on buying a Model 3 AWD. I’m in Canada and get a lot of snow, but I’ve managed just fine without winter tires so far, so I’m not planning on getting those.

I’m stuck deciding between 18” and 19” wheels. Normally I’d want the 18” for winter driving (extra clearance for sticky snow and traction), but with all the extra weight of a Tesla and the fact that 20” is an option, I wonder if I would be fine with 19”.

Has anyone driven with both sizes in winter? What’s the best wheel size option for both summer and winter?

You are in canada and don't get snow tires? What?

I guess if you are really set on that I would recommend 18" so you can get a Nokian WRG4, Michelin Crossclimate+ or Toyo Celsius (all weather tires that are almost as good as snow). None of those come in 19"

If you are set on some other all season in canadian winter, then you should pick a tire first and compare prices / sizes. I would absolutely not recommend the standard Tesla all-season in canadian winter. The 18" and 19" tesla tires are the same width and same diameter, there are absolutely no differences for winter driving for clearance.

Also very important to keep in mind, you get better efficiency with 18". Range in the cold goes down, so it's a bigger factor for winter driving.

Ground clearance has to do with overall diameter of the tire, not wheel size.

If you have any plans to use the same set of wheel for summer and winter tires. You will have a lot more options with 19” wheel.

I actually found the opposite, all the winter tires I wanted were only available in 18"

You're living +/- 260km from where the nearest Supercharger will one day hopefully be built. Getting AWD will cost you a bit of range by itself. Get the 18" Aeros. :p

P.S. For you range will be primarily a winter question, and likewise your biggest winter concern will be range. ;)

+1 on 18s. There's no benefit to the 19s. They are heavier, come with the same width as 18s, and will be worse in the snow. You want smaller tires/rims for snow driving. Also, if you get summer tires 18x8.5 will be better than 19x8.5 as well. Lighter rims, similar tires will have more sidewall strength, better ride, etc.

Reactions: coleAK