Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking into the Martian wheels 18 x 8.5. My reason is I want the softest ride and best efficiency possible since I do long trips and have to pass the continental divide which is usually a blizzard and potholes everywhere on the highway.

Anybody have some info about using these rims?
I saw the comment about towing and load capacity. Is there a way to keep the tow rating the same with 18x8.5 wheels with the right tire?

Should I just stay with the gemini size? 19x9.5

I want max comfort and range efficiency, while maintaining my tow rating.

Looking into the Martian wheels 18 x 8.5. My reason is I want the softest ride and best efficiency possible since I do long trips and have to pass the continental divide which is usually a blizzard and potholes everywhere on the highway.

Anybody have some info about using these rims?
I saw the comment about towing and load capacity. Is there a way to keep the tow rating the same with 18x8.5 wheels with the right tire?

Should I just stay with the gemini size? 19x9.5

I want max comfort and range efficiency, while maintaining my tow rating.
You'll be hard-pressed to exceed the highway range with anything but the OE 19" Gemini wheels and OE tires if you don't want to compromise rear axle load rating.

There are plenty of threads on Martian wheels:
Martian wheels
Martian Wheels
Martian Wheels MW03

Also, recognize that wheel weight does not significantly affect highway range. Wheel and tire aerodynamics and tire rolling resistance are most important on the highway.

Reactions: MYoohMY
You'll be hard-pressed to exceed the highway range with anything but the OE 19" Gemini wheels and OE tires if you don't want to compromise rear axle load rating.

There are plenty of threads on Martian wheels:
Martian wheels
Martian Wheels
Martian Wheels MW03

Also, recognize that wheel weight does not significantly affect highway range. Wheel and tire aerodynamics and tire rolling resistance are most important on the highway.

Got it, thanks for the info and helpful reply!

I’ve driven about 1100 miles on the new set up and it is definitely more efficient than the 19s. My Wh/mi has gone from 274 to 250 with even lower numbers on several charges in local/hwy combo driving.
UPDATE::
Ive driven over 4300 miles including a 1500 mile trip from Phoenix to SF and back at 75-85 mph the whole way and my Wh/mi is at 265
IMG_1117.jpg

UPDATE::
Ive driven over 4300 miles including a 1500 mile trip from Phoenix to SF and back at 75-85 mph the whole way and my Wh/mi is at 265View attachment 613577
Very impressed! Did you change the wheel/tires yourself? Where did you get the Model 3 18" wheels? I am thinking of doing that, but I am not handy....
Also for the range, could you do a drive at 70mph? People seemed to get pretty consistent ~260-270wh/mile for the MY AWD with the stock 19" wheel. Would be interested to see what you would get with the 18" wheel/tires.

Very impressed! Did you change the wheel/tires yourself? Where did you get the Model 3 18" wheels? I am thinking of doing that, but I am not handy....
Also for the range, could you do a drive at 70mph? People seemed to get pretty consistent ~260-270wh/mile for the MY AWD with the stock 19" wheel. Would be interested to see what you would get with the 18" wheel/tires.
I purchased a set of used 18” Aero wheels and bought the tires at Discount Tire ( AmericasTire). 235/55-18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde.
I will try to do a 70 mph run around Phoenix highway soon.

Hi look forward to your 70mph wh/mile results here.

UPDATE: 70 MPH ROAD TRIP

I tried to do a 70mph trip from North East Phoenix to Tesla SC in Gila Bend AZ and back (83 miles each way) maintaining 70 mph as best as possible.
Started with with a freshly charged battery @ 86%. 2 adult occupants, no luggage or spare tire. Outside temp started in the low 50s.
I was able to keep at a pretty steady 70 through most of the trip on AP. Several areas were slower for a few miles (55mph) and faster, the I-10 is 75mph just west of Phoenix. The elevation change was approx. -800ft to Gila Bend and the reverse (+800ft) coming back on the same route.
My overall Wh/mi for the 166.3 mile trip was 252. My total for the 5,519 miles since the tire change over is 259 Wh/mi. That includes lots of long distance highway miles (almost 2000) (PHX-SF-PHX) at 75 or above, plus local roads (40-50 mph) and local highway miles (65-75mph).
Like I said in my original post, with the 19" Continentals for the first 5100 miles I was averaging over 274 Wh/mi WITHOUT any long range highway trips. I think the 18" Pirelli 235/55-18 LRR tires and Model 3 Aero wheels are an improvement over the stock 19" wheels and tires.
Take a look at the photos and give me your thoughts.
Gila Bend start.jpg
Gila Bend 17mile.jpg
Gila Bend I-10-SR85.jpg
Gila Bend 51 mile.jpg
Gila Bend 70.jpg
Gila Bend half way.jpg
Gila Bend 100 mile.jpg
Gila Bend home trip.jpg
18" wheel and tire total.jpg

I tried to do a 70mph trip from North East Phoenix to Tesla SC in Gila Bend AZ and back (83 miles each way) maintaining 70 mph as best as possible.
Started with with a freshly charged battery @ 86%. 2 adult occupants, no luggage or spare tire. Outside temp started in the low 50s.
I was able to keep at a pretty steady 70 through most of the trip on AP. Several areas were slower for a few miles (55mph) and faster, the I-10 is 75mph just west of Phoenix. The elevation change was approx. -800ft to Gila Bend and the reverse (+800ft) coming back on the same route.
My overall Wh/mi for the 166.3 mile trip was 252. My total for the 5,519 miles since the tire change over is 259 Wh/mi. That includes lots of long distance highway miles (almost 2000) (PHX-SF-PHX) at 75 or above, plus local roads (40-50 mph) and local highway miles (65-75mph).
Like I said in my original post, with the 19" Continentals for the first 5100 miles I was averaging over 274 Wh/mi WITHOUT any long range highway trips. I think the 18" Pirelli 235/55-18 LRR tires and Model 3 Aero wheels are an improvement over the stock 19" wheels and tires.
View attachment 625803 View attachment 625804 View attachment 625805 View attachment 625806 View attachment 625807 View attachment 625808 View attachment 625809 View attachment 625810 View attachment 625811

Wow, that's great efficiency, the 70mph is almost as energy efficient as my model 3 AWD before I trading it in for the Model Y I have now. Thanks for sharing the detailed results, enjoy your Model Y! I am tempted to do the same change as you did, but I am not handy....

Reactions: Exelion and Tedkidd
Interesting stuff here. I have 18 x 8 MSW rims with factory TPMS sensors and Blizzaks coming next week. Tire Rack confirms they will fit. I am still unsure, despite reading all of this and other threads, what am I supposed to do in terms of configuring the new wheels in my car. Overall diameter should be the same, so I am thinking that it doesn't matter. I have stock Inductions and 18" does not show up in the menu on the car.
I appreciate any guidance and am happy to report back on the ride, fitment, efficiency, whatever to help everyone else out.
Thanks!
Pat

The rear brake calipers on Performance with (red) PuP calipers are bigger/sticks outward more than the regular rear brake calipers, so I have not actually mounted an Aero wheel on the rear. I am to damage the calipers.

You will need to buy new Bluetooth TPMS sensors from Tesla Service/Parts at $75 each.

View attachment 581509

(pic showing aero installed over red caliper)

This was my plan as well until I found a set of 19” Gemini’s that will work well.

So the Aeros WILL fit the MYP? (but the tpms need to be changed so it's not a direct swap, and it means being careful with carrying loads.

I have 2 sets of aeros and really only need studded tires on one car, was thinking I could use the all seasons on the MYP when I put the snows on the 3.

:(

Guess I'll look for some Gemini's...

I really appreciate your test and updates. Those are great freeway efficiency numbers for the MY.

I think there are a lot more available rubber options for the 18" M3 aeros which makes it better overall as a consumer.

View attachment 625803 View attachment 625804 View attachment 625805 View attachment 625806 View attachment 625807 View attachment 625808 View attachment 625809 View attachment 625810 View attachment 625811

I decoupled my P vin and grabbed a SRY last weekend. Elon dropping the price then removing it from the menu worked on me.

Also got tired of worrying about the "drive an 80k car 350 miles home during a polar vortex snowstorm, and no we don't stock the Gemini/snow package" headaches.

I think the LR is probably worth the difference for cold climates. Supercharging tops at 130kw, home charging tops at 8, and the 3rd row would increase fun factor. So I reserved a LR with my new preferred config.

I love it. Astonished that this much car is available for $40k.
Love getting to understand how these short range cars live. Love learning about basic AutoPilot.
Going to take a 2 week cross country trip in a week.

And happy to have solved my car problem for now, in a way that I don't think will hurt much when I trade for my ultimate config, whatever that might be...

(pic showing aero installed over red caliper)

So the Aeros WILL fit the MYP? (but the tpms need to be changed so it's not a direct swap, and it means being careful with carrying loads.

I have 2 sets of aeros and really only need studded tires on one car, was thinking I could use the all seasons on the MYP when I put the snows on the 3.

:(

Guess I'll look for some Gemini's...

Reactions: Yankees and RoBoRaT