Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wheel size has nothing to do with the speedometer calibration. That depends completely on tire outer diameter. The stock 19" tires are 255/45R19, not 235.

This thread is about using the Model 3 18" Aero wheels, which would optimally have a 255/50R18 tire to match the OE tires, but that size isn't available with any real selection of tires. The closest sizes that do have tire choices are 245/50R18 or 245/55R18.

Sorry wasn’t trying to hijack this thread but since it was about 18” wheels and I’m looking at something similar wanted to get some input.

Also, I was looking at 235 because of the 18x8.5" wheel and thought that would fit it.

I just don’t know what to do
Stay with 19" Gemini's, unless you can't stand the look then get something else in 19" and expect worse highway mileage. The Gemini caps will help with highway mileage much more than a lighter wheel. A lighter wheel will provide exactly zero savings during constant speed travel such as on a long distance trip. An open face wheel will have worse mileage than the Gemini's at high speed.

If you really want to go further, use a lower rolling resistance tire; but you'll be hard pressed to find one better than the stock MXM4's.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Stay with 19" Gemini's, unless you can't stand the look then get something else in 19" and expect worse highway mileage. The Gemini caps will help with highway mileage much more than a lighter wheel. A lighter wheel will provide exactly zero savings during constant speed travel such as on a long distance trip. An open face wheel will have worse mileage than the Gemini's at high speed.

If you really want to go further, use a lower rolling resistance tire; but you'll be hard pressed to find one better than the stock MXM4's.

Sorry, I wasn't specific, I'm actually going to be swapping Ubers for 19/18" wheels. I've got a Perf. Y and want to get ride of the extra weight/staggered setup. I also don't care for the Gemini look TBH.

Sorry, I wasn't specific, I'm actually going to be swapping Ubers for 19/18" wheels. I've got a Perf. Y and want to get ride of the extra weight/staggered setup. I also don't care for the Gemini look TBH.

^^ that's what i did to lose the extra weight and to add some more rubber for comfort driving the pothole ridden streets of SF.

These are aftermarket Enkei 18's with 245/50R-18 BRIDGESTONE TURANZA's. I confirmed the load rating and as long as i'm not carrying over 800 pounds on the rear i'm good :)

IMG_6421.jpg

^^ that's what i did to lose the extra weight and to add some more rubber for comfort driving the pothole ridden streets of SF.

These are aftermarket Enkei 18's with 245/50R-18 BRIDGESTONE TURANZA's. I confirmed the load rating and as long as i'm not carrying over 800 pounds on the rear i'm good :)

View attachment 583151
Have you done a Wh/mi comparison yet? I really want to go with 235/55-18s

Have you done a Wh/mi comparison yet? I really want to go with 235/55-18s

Welcome to the forum! I'm also new, but it doesn't hurt. lol.

I live up in Minnesota so snow tires are basically a must if you're buying a performance model. I spoke with Drew at Martian wheels about going with the 18"x7.5" wheels that they sell for the model 3. He said,
Drew said:
You certainly can use the 18x7.5 size for your Model Y Performance. This size has been tested and shown to work beautifully - you just need to use them in conjunction with the correct tires, and XL load rated 235/55-18 sized tires are the way to go.

So apparently that works and you can go with your tire size. I found quite a few winter tires that match that load and size so I think I'm going that route. It should protect the wheel from curb rash, increase efficiency, and lower the price for tires.

Also, sorry for getting off topic, seems like the place to talk about 18" wheels.

Do the 19’s have any type of all climate tire (as opposed to all season or dedicated winter tire? That could justify reason to switch to the 18’s. I don’t see anything like that offered for the 19’s or 20’s but maybe it’s because the Y is so new?

here is what I see for the 18’s for the 3:

1DB6B7D0-A4BB-4C79-B007-DF8E44FC0C21.jpeg

Last edited:
My understanding is that those crossclimate tires are really just all seasons with a bit more winter flair. There are plenty of all seasons for most wheel sizes except for maybe some extremes.

The reason I'm thinking about 18's is because we get very harsh winters here in MN and the roads get very potholed up. I don't want to be romping around on 21" all seasons during the winter so I'm going to find another wheel size. 18's should provide the extra "cush" with the sidewall and make tires cheaper and more available.

Just think of those silly backcountry C180's running Alaska Bush Wheels... they do it for a reason... it's hard to beat the sidewall squish. (I only put that in there because you're a pilot, hi fellow pilot and former subaru nut)

Reactions: Pilot1226
There’s a lengthy thread by @MrTemple about how the 18 Aeros are more susceptible to pothole damage compared to, theoretically, the 19 Gemini or 20 induction. It’s complicated for me to explain so I’d just direct you to check out that thread on the main Model Y page.

but I get what you’re saying. With no spare tire, if you could avoid a tire busting pothole just once, that’s considerable inconvenience and expense. I don’t even want to know how much one of those inductions cost if you bend the rim.

The newest four season (severe snow service rated) tire is the Michelin CrossClimate2. This tire is replacing both the CrossClimate+ and CrossClimate SUV. These are available in 235/55R18 to get within 0.7% of the OE tire diameter. This is a little narrow for the 8.5" Aero wheels but could work. Optimal wheel width for this tire is probably 7.5".

There’s a lengthy thread by @MrTemple about how the 18 Aeros are more susceptible to pothole damage compared to, theoretically, the 19 Gemini or 20 induction. It’s complicated for me to explain so I’d just direct you to check out that thread on the main Model Y page.

but I get what you’re saying. With no spare tire, if you could avoid a tire busting pothole just once, that’s considerable inconvenience and expense. I don’t even want to know how much one of those inductions cost if you bend the rim.
Oh yeah, I'm not talking about the 18" aero's. I'm thinking about the Martian 18x7.5. The load rating looks like it'll work fine with the Model Y. And yeah, it gets rough up here, 100 in the summer and -30 in the winter. It really wreaks havoc on our roads.

The newest four season (severe snow service rated) tire is the Michelin CrossClimate2. This tire is replacing both the CrossClimate+ and CrossClimate SUV. These are available in 235/55R18 to get within 0.7% of the OE tire diameter. This is a little narrow for the 8.5" Aero wheels but could work. Optimal wheel width for this tire is probably 7.5".

Thanks Zoomit! That seems like a great option then for someone looking for the same wheel/tire combo all year. I had no clue they were making tires now that could really compete with actual snow tires in the winter.

Oh yeah, I'm not talking about the 18" aero's. I'm thinking about the Martian 18x7.5. The load rating looks like it'll work fine with the Model Y. And yeah, it gets rough up here, 100 in the summer and -30 in the winter. It really wreaks havoc on our roads.

Thanks Zoomit! That seems like a great option then for someone looking for the same wheel/tire combo all year. I had no clue they were making tires now that could really compete with actual snow tires in the winter.

While they have been rated at very good for snow, it won’t exceed a dedicated snow tire. They’re for lazy people like me that won’t change to a dedicated winter set because of whatever reason. I run all seasons in my Subie now and I’ve always been in control, but I also drive cautiously / conservatively in inclement weather and don’t push it.

While they have been rated at very good for snow, it won’t exceed a dedicated snow tire. They’re for lazy people like me that won’t change to a dedicated winter set because of whatever reason. I run all seasons in my Subie now and I’ve always been in control, but I also drive cautiously / conservatively in inclement weather and don’t push it.

My biggest concern has always been stopping. I'm an old subie rally guy and I've spent quite a few long nights cutting up a new set of nokians because it would give our driver an advantage. So based on that experience I try to go snow tires whenever I can. Especially with heavy vehicles.

But back on topic! Got my delivery notice today! So it's time to buy some 18's for the winter!

Please keep us posted on your decision and set up. I'm in the exact situation. I'm planning on getting the MYP and switching out the Uberturbine for 18" or 19" wheels to accommodate the CrossClimate.

Last winter I switched out the tires on my Pacifica and X5 w/ the CrossClimate as I was tired of having to switch out for dedicated winter tires. While they were not as good as my prior Blizzaks on the snow, they were much better than the OEM all season tires. In addition, for 95% of the time when it's not snowing, the CrossClimates are a much better option than the Blizzaks. I highly recommend them.

I put 18” Model 3 aero wheels on my Model Y today. I used Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus tires in 235/55-18 XL104 size and rating. Overall height is virtually the same as the Geminis. The ride is much smoother and quieter than the 19” Gemini/Continentals they replaced. In the short distance I’ve driven on them today, I did notice a lower Wh/mi as compared to the wider 19”s. That is what I was looking for.
I am going to keep track of the Wh/mi over the several thousand miles
AF240E8E-039A-4F4E-A32F-D13432A50A0A.jpeg
6F061AFE-0AA1-4CAA-B01F-33AAE0CB087E.jpeg

I put 18” Model 3 aero wheels on my Model Y today. I used Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus tires in 235/55-18 XL104 size and rating. Overall height is virtually the same as the Geminis. The ride is much smoother and quieter than the 19” Gemini/Continentals they replaced. In the short distance I’ve driven on them today, I did notice a lower Wh/mi as compared to the wider 19”s. That is what I was looking for.
I am going to keep track of the Wh/mi over the several thousand milesView attachment 596389View attachment 596390
Cool, thanks for posting and keep us updated!

I'm thinking about doing this for my winter wheels on my Y. After originally disliking these wheels, they've really grown on me, and since they're aero, they will definitely help with range in the winter.

How is the ride from a handling perspective? Is it super bouncy? I've got the 20" inductions so it would be two sizes down for me.

This is awesome - thanks for posting! I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing: Aeros w/ 235/55-18 - it seems like a great way to improve the ride and efficiency, especially during the winters.

Keep us posted!

This is awesome - thanks for posting! I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing: Aeros w/ 235/55-18 - it seems like a great way to improve the ride and efficiency, especially during the winters.

Keep us posted!
I’ve driven about 1100 miles on the new set up and it is definitely more efficient than the 19s. My Wh/mi has gone from 274 to 250 with even lower numbers on several charges in local/hwy combo driving.

Attachments

• 26B3476D-07EA-48BD-A0E8-271B7B097FA5.jpeg
    26B3476D-07EA-48BD-A0E8-271B7B097FA5.jpeg
    752.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 746C08DC-6C3A-4AC1-9D8F-9579532CF5BD.jpeg
    746C08DC-6C3A-4AC1-9D8F-9579532CF5BD.jpeg
    618.5 KB · Views: 236
  • F25EABA0-D279-4652-B42C-08D0F3474247.jpeg
    F25EABA0-D279-4652-B42C-08D0F3474247.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 236
I am going to keep track of the Wh/mi over the several thousand milesView attachment 596389View attachment 596390
I'm considering getting a set of 18" Model 3 aero's for my winter set with snow tires. Has anyone else done or considered this? Was originally planning to get aftermarket 18"s for winter but like the idea of better range for long trips in the winter. Also cost is considerably lower vs 19's.

I expect slightly worse performance compared with 19's or larger but still better off with the winter tires on the 18" aeros vs stock 19" Gemini/Continentals in inclement weather. Also like the thought of a softer ride as some of the roads around here are terrible, and worse in winter with potholes and such. Will still use those 19" Gemini/Contis in the summer.