Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zoomit and others thank you for the information.

Not for everyone but I am happy with it. I live on a dirt road.

18x8 +40
255/55/18 - Michelin Defender LTX/MS

MY-18-01.jpg

MY-18-03.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have some questions. First, those who have made this move over to 18" aero, have you been happy with it? Second, from what I see most of the 18" tires that I'm seeing are "V" speed rated instead of "W", will this cause issues? Lastly, I'm trying to figure out which sizes will clear the knuckle that's next to the tire. I've seen 235/55R18 and 255/55R18. I'm thinking of going with 245/55R18 to get slightly narrower for more efficiency but also some more sidewall. DiscountTire's website suggest 245/50R18 for an optional size, so I'm trying to see what I'm missing if anything as there aren't nearly as many of those. Any help/insight would be appreciated!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have some questions. First, those who have made this move over to 18" aero, have you been happy with it? Second, from what I see most of the 18" tires that I'm seeing are "V" speed rated instead of "W", will this cause issues? Lastly, I'm trying to figure out which sizes will clear the knuckle that's next to the tire. I've seen 235/55R18 and 255/55R18. I'm thinking of going with 245/55R18 to get slightly narrower for more efficiency but also some more sidewall. DiscountTire's website suggest 245/50R18 for an optional size, so I'm trying to see what I'm missing if anything as there aren't nearly as many of those. Any help/insight would be appreciated!
I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde LRR V rated 235/55-18 to keep the overall diameter as close to the original 19” Gemini wheel/tire combo for speedometer accuracy (.1”difference). After 8k miles on them I am really happy with the road feel, ride and most importantly a 255Wh/mi usage that includes many multi hundred mile road trips. Our latest trip will be Phoenix to Orlando in about a weeks time. I’ll keep track of Wh/mi on this highway trip and update the forum.

I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde LRR V rated 235/55-18 to keep the overall diameter as close to the original 19” Gemini wheel/tire combo for speedometer accuracy (.1”difference). After 8k miles on them I am really happy with the road feel, ride and most importantly a 255Wh/mi usage that includes many multi hundred mile road trips. Our latest trip will be Phoenix to Orlando in about a weeks time. I’ll keep track of Wh/mi on this highway trip and update the forum.
before your 18" tire replacement, what's your average Wh/mi?

Since this thread has become the de facto best place for info about moving to 18" wheels on the Model Y, I wanted to keep the conversation going, and chip in with some new info:

The 2021 Model 3 has new 18" aero wheels! Sure - the biggest visual difference is the new aero wheel covers: flatter profile, with squarer-holes. However, the 2021 18" forged alloy wheels underneath are new as well - every so slightly different than the 18" alloys on earlier Model 3s. And... they have a different load rating: The new 18" Tesla wheels have a 750kg rating stamped inside them - which is identical to the 20" Induction wheels.

Thus - any concerns over running 18" Tesla Aeros on the Model Y due to the weight rating are largely moot if you use 18" wheels from a 2021 Model 3. Now if we could just get Tesla to offer the 18" aero as an off-the menu option!

Since this thread has become the de facto best place for info about moving to 18" wheels on the Model Y, I wanted to keep the conversation going, and chip in with some new info:

The 2021 Model 3 has new 18" aero wheels! Sure - the biggest visual difference is the new aero wheel covers: flatter profile, with squarer-holes. However, the 2021 18" forged alloy wheels underneath are new as well - every so slightly different than the 18" alloys on earlier Model 3s. And... they have a different load rating: The new 18" Tesla wheels have a 750kg rating stamped inside them - which is identical to the 20" Induction wheels.

Thus - any concerns over running 18" Tesla Aeros on the Model Y due to the weight rating are largely moot if you use 18" wheels from a 2021 Model 3. Now if we could just get Tesla to offer the 18" aero as an off-the menu option!
That’s great news! Thanks for pointing this out.

I wonder if the barrel section has changed that will allow the Aero V2 wheels to fit over the Model Y Performance rear calipers.

4E820C20-DF0C-4F66-90AA-E3B1526B3326.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Tedkidd
UPDATE: Our cross country PHX-FL, 6000 mile trip is complete on the 18” wheel/tire combo. 2 passengers,cooler in frunk, luggage, spare tire, jack, impact wrench and miscellaneous in the back. 95% interstate driving at speeds between 75-85 mph (TX is 80 posted) , head winds both directions, no regen, our average for the 15k miles the Aeros have been on the car is 278 Wh/mi. The trip average was right around 304 Wh/mi.
650C8AA7-8D84-4E50-8F2F-32630CF59BAC.jpeg
C6B91702-8E24-45D1-804F-30556FF00449.jpeg

Not really. The only meaningful difference is the limit on the front axle, but it’s impossible to overload it anyway. I had already updated the charts with the front axle limit and corrected hitch tongue limit for this thread: Model Y Cargo Loading

20200626a-my-w-b-png.556802

View attachment 569422
Config A: Curb weight, no payload
Config B: Driver only
Config C: Two front passengers
Config D: Driver, two kids in back, and some stuff in the frunk and trunk
Config E: Two big guys in front and a full frunk
Config F: Four adult passengers
Config G: Fully laden with four adult passengers and 205 lb cargo
Config H: Fully laden with two adult and two smaller passengers and 295 lb cargo
Config I: Fully laden with driver and 715 lb cargo
Config J: Fully laden with 350 lb tongue weight trailer
Config K: Driver and minor cargo with 350 lb tongue weight trailer
Config L: Two front passengers with 971 lb in trunk

So, don't tow and don't load over 500 lbs of crap in the back and you should be fine on the 2020 and earlier M3 Aero wheels and the 2021's are fine for any use case acceptable for the MY 20" induction wheels. Has anyone confirmed that they fit over the breaks on the MYP though? I am still reading this thread and probably asking a question that has already been answered... forgive my eagerness :)

My Normal configuration on Vacation will be 400 lbs in the front seats, nobody in the back seats with enough luggage for two people distributed between the trunk and frunk...

Keith

PS: If not mentioned yet by someone in the thread, for an 18" wheel I would use 235/55/18 tires... at 28.18 inches they are almost an exact match for the 255/45/19 stock size that comes on the Gemini's at 28.04 inches.

PPS: Just finished reading the thread... looks like nobody has actually tried the 2020 and earlier or the new 2021 Aero wheels on a MYP... someone took measurements (looked fine to me, didn't look like enough clearance to him) so he was unwilling to mount then to see if they actually fit in back.

Last edited:
So I sold my SRY and got MYP.

Anybody know if these will work? Are these the heavier rated wheels? Will they go over my calipers?
(Tempted to take one of my 3's winters and throw it on the front to see...)

Anybody know if these will work? Are these the heavier rated wheels? Will they go over my calipers?

Throw it on the BACK to see! We know that the M3 18" aero wheels fit the front of the MY performance. The speculation is that they will not fit on the rear due to the larger rear brake calipers. But, despite all the speculation NOBODY HAS TRIED IT, so we don't know for sure!

I suspect that it will be very close weather or not it fits, and that even if they don't fit "as is" they would probably fit with a 15mm spacer to move the spokes further out from the caliper...

Please try it and let us know.

Keith

Throw it on the BACK to see! We know that the M3 18" aero wheels fit the front of the MY performance. The speculation is that they will not fit on the rear due to the larger rear brake calipers. But, despite all the speculation NOBODY HAS TRIED IT, so we don't know for sure!

I suspect that it will be very close weather or not it fits, and that even if they don't fit "as is" they would probably fit with a 15mm spacer to move the spokes further out from the caliper...

Please try it and let us know.

Keith
So tape a towel over the caliper and see if it rubs?

So tape a towel over the caliper and see if it rubs?

I think a towel would be way too thick :D

Put some masking tape on the caliper to protect the paint and see if it fits would be my suggestion. I already got tired of waiting for someone to try it and purchased some 19" Gemini's but I am still strongly curious about it and if I had access to an 18" aero wheel I would try it out just to put the speculation to bed.

The Gemini's with all season tires will be my "every day" set, but if someone shows that 18" aero's fit I will get a set with performance tires in 235/55/18 for summer use, and only run the Gemini's in winter (winter in Arkansas is all season tires weather).

Keith

I put 18” Model 3 aero wheels on my Model Y today. I used Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus tires in 235/55-18 XL104 size and rating. Overall height is virtually the same as the Geminis. The ride is much smoother and quieter than the 19” Gemini/Continentals they replaced. In the short distance I’ve driven on them today, I did notice a lower Wh/mi as compared to the wider 19”s. That is what I was looking for.
I am going to keep track of the Wh/mi over the several thousand milesView attachment 596389View attachment 596390
Any chance you can take a pic w/ the covers off? Like the Geminis, the 18" Aeros look quite decent as regular wheels when covers aren't necessary (around town, when not taking highway trips). Wonder what they look like on a Y w/o Photoshop ;)

Don't know if they will fit but don't get the wheel AND tire package -- the tires will be the wrong diameter. I've attached a photo showing the respective size comparison for Model 3 18" wheels and tires and Model Y 19" wheels and tires. 255 50 R18 would be the same diameter. (Model 3 comes with 235 45 R18)
Screenshot 2021-08-12 150156.jpg