Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious, anyone know what the load limit on the Geminis is? Higher or lower than Inductions?
I am going by the first chart posted in this thread for all the other wheels mentioned, the 2021 Aero wheels were not included on that chart so I tracked down the information and posted it up here. According to that chart in the first post on the first page of this thread the Gemini's are the strongest stock wheels available.

Keith

Reactions: Zoomit and Tedkidd
I am going by the first chart posted in this thread for all the other wheels mentioned, the 2021 Aero wheels were not included on that chart so I tracked down the information and posted it up here. According to that chart in the first post on the first page of this thread the Gemini's are the strongest stock wheels available.
Thank you, I jumped into the thread on a later page and missed that, sry about that. So that's quite interesting that the Geminis have ~818kg load limit, gives one a good idea what to look for in aftermarket wheels as far as load limit. I'm currently looking at a set that have a load limit of 841kg, now I know how to judge that in regards to Y duty.

Throw it on the BACK to see! We know that the M3 18" aero wheels fit the front of the MY performance. The speculation is that they will not fit on the rear due to the larger rear brake calipers. But, despite all the speculation NOBODY HAS TRIED IT, so we don't know for sure!

I suspect that it will be very close weather or not it fits, and that even if they don't fit "as is" they would probably fit with a 15mm spacer to move the spokes further out from the caliper...

Please try it and let us know.

Keith
So I found a guy on Instagram @ModelYMods and they put 18” aeros on a performance Y. I couldn’t find details but they did say that it took some work and didn’t just bolt on.
E9997F47-3CCB-4E32-A015-AAC8A2ECBFAE.jpeg
Probably not the answer you were looking for but at least we know (according to their vague posts) that it doesn’t fit the rear on a Performance Y. At least not without some sort of mod(s).

Reactions: EchoDelta
So I found a guy on Instagram @ModelYMods and they put 18” aeros on a performance Y. I couldn’t find details but they did say that it took some work and didn’t just bolt on.View attachment 697729 Probably not the answer you were looking for but at least we know (according to their vague posts) that it doesn’t fit the rear on a Performance Y. At least not without some sort of mod(s).

He probably shaved down the caliper where it was rubbing the wheel and re-painted it.

Had a similar situation with some winter wheels and snow tires on a 3000GT VR-4. They were recommended by a Stealth twin turbo owner (nearly identical car) but the Mitsubishi has raised lettering on the front calipers that is absent on the Stealth that made the wheels rub on the calipers. I solved the problem with wheel spacers, another guy in the same situation ground down the lettering on the caliper.

I am interested in what changes were made in the 2021 Aero wheels to give them a higher load rating, and weather or not that improves (or worsens) clearance.

Keith

Reactions: camthehombre
So a point of reference just for some data. Got the 18” with some 235/55/R18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+ 2 (which have low rolling resistance) and after 500 miles I’m unable to get the car under about 265 wh/mi where I could often get down to 230 wh/mi on the stock 19” Gemini setup. Could be a number of factors, but temp and driving style isn’t one of them. Maybe the deeper groves on the tires? The Gemini still have like new tread depth so it’s not like those are really worn down… any thoughts? I’ll have to see if I can return them to Discount Tire. My goal is efficiency and if I get better with my Geminis then I’ll gladly stick with those.

Reactions: Tedkidd
So a point of reference just for some data. Got the 18” with some 235/55/R18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+ 2 (which have low rolling resistance) and after 500 miles I’m unable to get the car under about 265 wh/mi where I could often get down to 230 wh/mi on the stock 19” Gemini setup. Could be a number of factors, but temp and driving style isn’t one of them. Maybe the deeper groves on the tires? The Gemini still have like new tread depth so it’s not like those are really worn down… any thoughts? I’ll have to see if I can return them to Discount Tire. My goal is efficiency and if I get better with my Geminis then I’ll gladly stick with those.
Consider yourself lucky you ever got 230. I've got 19" with Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4s... my lifetime wh/mi is 320.

How is the rolling resistance for those Pirelli's? The stock conti's on the Gemini wheels have low rolling resistance so they are pretty efficient.

I know that lots of people who went with Michelin Crossclimates saw a fairly big initial efficiency hit but after a few thousand miles, that dropped back down to almost OEM tire efficiency. Maybe the Pirelli's have a similar tendency for this?

So a point of reference just for some data. Got the 18” with some 235/55/R18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+ 2 (which have low rolling resistance) and after 500 miles I’m unable to get the car under about 265 wh/mi where I could often get down to 230 wh/mi on the stock 19” Gemini setup. Could be a number of factors,

Are a different size than stock?

A 235/55/18 will in fact be a larger diameter than the 255/45/19 on the Geminis. Not by much, but some.
So with the new wheels/tires, what your car thinks is a "mile" is actually a bit more than a mile in actual road distance traveled. (Or at the very least, more than what it previously thought was a mile.) And that of course will take more energy.

So it's plausible that some of the "efficiency drop" could just be the measurement error.

A 235/55/18 will in fact be a larger diameter than the 255/45/19 on the Geminis. Not by much, but some.
So with the new wheels/tires, what your car thinks is a "mile" is actually a bit more than a mile in actual road distance traveled. (Or at the very least, more than what it previously thought was a mile.) And that of course will take more energy.

So it's plausible that some of the "efficiency drop" could just be the measurement error.

Can this be determined by speed inaccuracy?

(Ie, speedo says 65 when gps says going 70?)

Can this be determined by speed inaccuracy?

(Ie, speedo says 65 when gps says going 70?)
Sure, but my car was already pretty close. I checked this with a speedometer app. My last wheels showed 71 when I was actually doing 70, and these show 70 when doing 70, so more accurate that way. The calculation is so slight though that it couldn’t account for the huge energy loss I’m seeing. Good thought though!

• Love
Reactions: Tedkidd
How is the rolling resistance for those Pirelli's? The stock conti's on the Gemini wheels have low rolling resistance so they are pretty efficient.

I know that lots of people who went with Michelin Crossclimates saw a fairly big initial efficiency hit but after a few thousand miles, that dropped back down to almost OEM tire efficiency. Maybe the Pirelli's have a similar tendency for this?
This is a possibility, I’m not sure. I know tires have a break in for the oils and such when being made but I don’t know about anything else?
(Also, apologies for so many replies all at once. Not sure how to reply to multiple on mobile)

^^ that's what i did to lose the extra weight and to add some more rubber for comfort driving the pothole ridden streets of SF.

These are aftermarket Enkei 18's with 245/50R-18 BRIDGESTONE TURANZA's. I confirmed the load rating and as long as i'm not carrying over 800 pounds on the rear i'm good :)

View attachment 583151
Did you get TS7? the load rating from the website shows 1521.