Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone put 18’s on a MYP? Are the brakes on a MYP the same as a M3P? I have 18’s from T Sportline and Titan 7 from my M3P and it would be great to use them on the MYP. I know the T Sportline have. 750kg load rating. I couldn’t find anything on the Titan 7 but I would expect them to have a higher load rating due to being forged.
I received information that the load rating on the 19x9.5 titan 7 is 750kg(1650lb). Isn't this inadequate for model y since rear axle load is ~3600lbs?

If it is modeled after the 2020 and before Model 3 Aero wheel it will not fit the MY Performance due to hitting the rear caliper... but should fit the MY LR.

Keith

(Note the word "if" in larger font, different color and underlined above) :)
Hi everyone - when questioning the figment of the rear caliper for MYP- is this -all- performance rear calibers? Or only the ones that were painted red? I bought a MYP stealth (so no fancy red calipers and no lowered suspension) back when that was still available in 2020– wondering if my MYP would be able to fit the 2021 18inch M3 wheels in the rear or not…

Hi everyone - when questioning the figment of the rear caliper for MYP- is this -all- performance rear calibers? Or only the ones that were painted red? I bought a MYP stealth (so no fancy red calipers and no lowered suspension) back when that was still available in 2020– wondering if my MYP would be able to fit the 2021 18inch M3 wheels in the rear or not…
It is my understanding that the "Stealth P" had the same brakes and suspension as the MYLR of the same year, so any wheels that fit the MYLR should fit the Stealth P.

Keith

Looking into the Martian wheels 18 x 8.5. My reason is I want the softest ride and best efficiency possible since I do long trips and have to pass the continental divide which is usually a blizzard and potholes everywhere on the highway.

Anybody have some info about using these rims?
I saw the comment about towing and load capacity. Is there a way to keep the tow rating the same with 18x8.5 wheels with the right tire?

Should I just stay with the gemini size? 19x9.5

I want max comfort and range efficiency, while maintaining my tow rating.
I ended up getting the performance model y instead and swapping for 20” Martian wheels. They look amazing! I freaking love these wheels and get compliments on them and my car often at superchargers.

As for range I didn’t notice a meaningful difference.

The wheels look fantastic and are very lightweight.

Added rally armor mudflaps, a necessity in Colorado especially on the performance model y. My paint got eaten off the rear doors by gravel within the first month of owning it. I paid 10k to have it repainted and then about another 7k to have the whole car wrapped in ppf. Also a must imo unless you want to see your paint completely stripped away like mine was. Even with mudflaps and ppf there is still chip damage happening on the rear doors, so it’s not a perfect solution either.

Light smoke on the tail lights and dark tint on the all windows and 50% tint on the windshield complete the look. Her name is “you would if you loved me”.

Attachments

• BFA16A64-4BC6-4AF7-B1FF-5791DBF1652D.jpeg
    BFA16A64-4BC6-4AF7-B1FF-5791DBF1652D.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 4F0AC38D-75D9-4D2E-8929-E22BCAFA8FBE.jpeg
    4F0AC38D-75D9-4D2E-8929-E22BCAFA8FBE.jpeg
    975.1 KB · Views: 302
Reactions: MBx4 and 907XCP
I have a Model 3 w/ 19" wheels that I'll be trading in for a MY in a few months but I was planning on getting new All Weather tires for the winter. However, I don't want to trade in a car with brand new tires.

If I bought 2021+ 18" wheels to swap for now, is there any tire size that could work for both the M3 and the future (if I swapped the geminis out for 18" aeros)?

I had been trying to figure out my wheel/tire setup for the MY and am wondering if I addess my temporary tire needs for the M3 and my future setup for the MY with one solution. Not sure if that's possible though

I ended up getting the performance model y instead and swapping for 20” Martian wheels. They look amazing! I freaking love these wheels and get compliments on them and my car often at superchargers.

As for range I didn’t notice a meaningful difference.

The wheels look fantastic and are very lightweight.

Added rally armor mudflaps, a necessity in Colorado especially on the performance model y. My paint got eaten off the rear doors by gravel within the first month of owning it. I paid 10k to have it repainted and then about another 7k to have the whole car wrapped in ppf. Also a must imo unless you want to see your paint completely stripped away like mine was. Even with mudflaps and ppf there is still chip damage happening on the rear doors, so it’s not a perfect solution either.

Light smoke on the tail lights and dark tint on the all windows and 50% tint on the windshield complete the look. Her name is “you would if you loved me”.
Those do look nice. What'd they set you back including tpms and tires?

I read through the whole thread but have not seen anyone running stock aero wheels and tires on a Model Y Standard Range. Will stock 18" aero wheels and stock tires fit fine on a MY SR? Thank you
Back on the first page in post # 14 there is a picture of 18" wheels on a MY LR. I always thought that the SR and LR had the same calipers and bolt pattern, so it should work OK right ?

Reactions: Zoomit
Back on the first page in post # 14 there is a picture of 18" wheels on a MY LR. I always thought that the SR and LR had the same calipers and bolt pattern, so it should work OK right ?

Yes I saw that post along with a few others who have put aero wheels on a MY, BUT my question is still the same. Will the stock tires on the aeros fit on the MY? All posts I have seen with aero wheels have different tire widths.

Reactions: Daekwan
Yes I saw that post along with a few others who have put aero wheels on a MY, BUT my question is still the same. Will the stock tires on the aeros fit on the MY? All posts I have seen with aero wheels have different tire widths.
If you're asking if stock Model 3 tires (that come on the Aero wheels) will fit, the answer is, no. They will technically "fit," but they are too small.

They will fit but the circumference is much smaller than standard. Your speedo will be way off, lower ride height, proportional appearance will be strange, etc. But yeah, same bolt pattern so it will fit.

Also, what about 235/60/18s?
So based off of the original post and post #14 on page 1, the 3 tires that will work with the aero wheels on the model y are 245/50/18, 245/50/18, and 235/55/18. Is that correct?
Post #18. The standard Y diameter is 28inches. Tiresize.com is your friend. You can compare sizes there. I haven't changed my wheels yet but if you're around 1% your speedo shouldn't be too far off and cause too many issues but I'm sure there are others with far more experience.