Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I saw that post along with a few others who have put aero wheels on a MY, BUT my question is still the same. Will the stock tires on the aeros fit on the MY? All posts I have seen with aero wheels have different tire widths.
I read through the whole thread but have not seen anyone running stock aero wheels and tires on a Model Y Standard Range. Will stock 18" aero wheels and stock tires fit fine on a MY SR? Thank you
They will fit but the tires are too short in diameter by about 1.5”. 28” for the 19” wheels and tires and 26.3” for the stock 18” Aero wheels and tires. That is why I put 235/55x18 tires on the Aero wheels. Taller sidewalk gives exact same diameter as stock Model Y 19” tires & wheels.

Reactions: CarCrazed4Life
If any of my fellow efficiency/comfort champs on this thread are looking for a set of 750kg rated 18” Aero wheels for your Model Y, I’ve got a set. Brand new take-offs from a 2021 Model 3, complete with TPMS.

I bought them with plans to use on a Y that I was hoping to buy this spring. Now that delivery is pushed to December, I’m giving up.

When I get a chance I’ll take photos and post to the For Sale board, but wanted to drop a note here first. Price will be $999 (half the new price) with pickup mid-Hudson Valley, NY. (Can meet at any of the Superchargers in the area: Hudson, Kingston, Red Hook, Poughkeepsie.)
TPMS on the Model Y are different than the Model 3. $75/ea only from Tesla last I checked

TPMS on the Model Y are different than the Model 3. $75/ea only from Tesla last I checked
Hmm… I’d read on here someplace that with the 2021 refresh, Tesla moved the Model 3 to using the same Bluetooth TPMS sensors as the Model Y.

Maybe that’s incorrect? I’ll have to double check. I guess I can simply look up the part numbers from the sensors on my wheels…. I’ll do that tonight and post back.

Just wanted to follow up on this to confirm that Model Y and Model 3 now share the same TMPS sensors. Here's the link to them sold by Tesla:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

"Note: Compatible with Model S and Model X vehicles produced in 2021+, Model Y vehicles and Refresh Model 3 vehicles. Refresh Model 3 vehicles have chrome-delete door handles and window trim (see photo below for details). Please refer to the valve color on the wheels of your vehicle to select the replacement TPMS color in the dropdown. Product sold individually. Four Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems are needed for a set of four wheels."

The pre-refresh Model 3 (with the chrome trim) used the other type of TPMS, but it now all new Teslas use the same sensors.

Reactions: Noflash
Just wanted to follow up on this to confirm that Model Y and Model 3 now share the same TMPS sensors. Here's the link to them sold by Tesla:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

"Note: Compatible with Model S and Model X vehicles produced in 2021+, Model Y vehicles and Refresh Model 3 vehicles. Refresh Model 3 vehicles have chrome-delete door handles and window trim (see photo below for details). Please refer to the valve color on the wheels of your vehicle to select the replacement TPMS color in the dropdown. Product sold individually. Four Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems are needed for a set of four wheels."

The pre-refresh Model 3 (with the chrome trim) used the other type of TPMS, but it now all new Teslas use the same sensors.
Hmm.. thanks for this update!

I'm considering Model 3 wheels for my Y now!

Original M3LR wheels on MYLR w/ 245/60-18 winter tires. That you @Zoomit for your original post. Made me comfortable doing this and understanding what my limitations will be. I've also installed the lift kit and adjustable rear camber arms from @MountainPass Performance.
View attachment 742029
Awesome looking setup!
Its been awhile since your post, any updates? how is everything holding up?

To all:
Do we know what the original model 3 aero wheels load rating was and how much the new aero wheels are rated at?

At least on the Model 3, they will not fit without wheel spacers and shaving of the rear caliper. I can't speak for the Model Y, but would assume it would be a similar scenario to Model 3.
Thank you for the clarification.

Looks like there are no aerodynamic 18" wheels that are compatible with the MYP;
Model 3's Aero don't clear
FastWheels EV01(+) in 18" don't have sufficient load rating
"The New Aero" wheels are not available in 18

Heh, I wonder if anyone ever tried D-154 – Rotawheels which well... if open design is less aerodynamic then this surly is ... more aerodynamic? no idea if it clear the break calipers or not

These are not "AERO" but this is what I'm replacing the 21" UT with - TST 18" Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4)

Sitting and waiting for my MPY to arrive
bO3yRjh.jpg

I'm not a tire guy in any way shape or form, but I am interested in 18" wheels as I've heard these are good for winter conditions (they are a bit narrower and penetrate the snow better than the standard MY 19" wheels).

Would these 18" wheel/tire combo fit a 2022 Model Y? Any concerns with using these for cold Atlantic Canada conditions? Thanks so much!
Wheel: 18" X 8.5" with 40 mm offset https://pmctire.com/wheels/6826785308852
Tire: 235/55/R18 https://pmctire.com/tires/7058774163636

I'm not a tire guy in any way shape or form, but I am interested in 18" wheels as I've heard these are good for winter conditions (they are a bit narrower and penetrate the snow better than the standard MY 19" wheels).

Would these 18" wheel/tire combo fit a 2022 Model Y? Any concerns with using these for cold Atlantic Canada conditions? Thanks so much!
Wheel: 18" X 8.5" with 40 mm offset https://pmctire.com/wheels/6826785308852
Tire: 235/55/R18 https://pmctire.com/tires/7058774163636
That's the exact setup we run on our Model Y in the winter.

Looking for CrossClimate2 for my Y (love them on my 3), and the size I want (245/55 R18) is only available in 103V SL, not XL. 103V is pretty high and seems to cover the Model Y load, but a lot of places say to only replace with XL, which aren't available in this size. Is XL going to make a difference here or is that 103V more than enough?