Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for CrossClimate2 for my Y (love them on my 3), and the size I want (245/55 R18) is only available in 103V SL, not XL. 103V is pretty high and seems to cover the Model Y load, but a lot of places say to only replace with XL, which aren't available in this size. Is XL going to make a difference here or is that 103V more than enough?
Stock is a 104 loading. A 103 load rating still supports the max GVWR of Model Y. Do you plan on towing? That would be the only situation where I’d consider 104 (vs 103) as important.

Generally, an XL tire allows you to run a higher pressure, which in turn allows for more load.

Last edited:
Stock is a 104 loading. A 103 load rating still supports the max GVWR of Model Y. Do you plan on towing? That would be the only situation where I’d consider 104 (vs 103) as important.

Generally, an XL tire allows you to run a higher pressure, which in turn allows for more load.
No load or towing, and it's a performance Y... but we're not tracking it or anything. Just 0-60 from traffic lights occasionally.

How can I buy an 18" winter tire and wheel package for my LR Model Y from an online retailer (tirerack, etc) and also get TPMS installed, if 18" wheels are unsupported by them? I would like to ideally order the rubber, wheels & sensors all installed and balanced, shipped to me, so I can swap them out myself, but I don't see how that's possible.... do they allow 'custom' orders in that way? How are you guys getting these put together?

How can I buy an 18" winter tire and wheel package for my LR Model Y from an online retailer (tirerack, etc) and also get TPMS installed, if 18" wheels are unsupported by them? I would like to ideally order the rubber, wheels & sensors all installed and balanced, shipped to me, so I can swap them out myself, but I don't see how that's possible.... do they allow 'custom' orders in that way? How are you guys getting these put together?
You could order for a Model 3. Just make sure the wheels have the weight rating for the Y.

Do you have a Discount Tire in your area? They own Tirerack. I picked out what I wanted on Tirerack and went in to Discount Tire. They said what I picked out wasn't recommend and offered me several 18" rims that would work (but didn't show up as an option for the Y on the website). Then, they harvested my TPMS from my Gemini. They were very helpful.

Reactions: 455dan and Atraf
This info is amazing. I found a local set of 2022 Model 3 18in wheels (750kg rated) that I plan to use for my winter set on my MYLR. The only other scenario of max loading I could think was ski season with the roof box full of skis and 3 kids in the back. But this still doesn't seem like it would any worse than scenario H. That would give a wide margin if you added 110lbs per axle.
For tires I'm leaning towards 235/55/18 Blizzak DM-V2 rated at 100T (800kg and 118mph). These should land at 0.7% larger diameter than the stock setup. Or I can go with the X-ICE SNOW SUV which are XL and 104 rated. They are a bit more expensive though. Do I really need the 104 rating (900kg) if the wheels themselves are only rated to 750kg?

Any issues anyone can see?

Also with the BLE TPMS self-calibrate and work? Will it be a problem to store my stock 19" Gemini's in the garage next to the car for the winter?

This info is amazing. I found a local set of 2022 Model 3 18in wheels (750kg rated) that I plan to use for my winter set on my MYLR. The only other scenario of max loading I could think was ski season with the roof box full of skis and 3 kids in the back. But this still doesn't seem like it would any worse than scenario H. That would give a wide margin if you added 110lbs per axle.
For tires I'm leaning towards 235/55/18 Blizzak DM-V2 rated at 100T (800kg and 118mph). These should land at 0.7% larger diameter than the stock setup. Or I can go with the X-ICE SNOW SUV which are XL and 104 rated. They are a bit more expensive though. Do I really need the 104 rating (900kg) if the wheels themselves are only rated to 750kg?

Any issues anyone can see?

Also with the BLE TPMS self-calibrate and work? Will it be a problem to store my stock 19" Gemini's in the garage next to the car for the winter?
Will you be towing with the winter setup? If not, you're fine.

Wanted to come back to this thread. Purchased the 18in Model 3 wheels and installed X-ICE 235/55R18 tires. Immediately noticed a bit better ride quality on some of the bumpy roads. Tested in the mild Colorado snow storm yesterday with great results. Thanks for all the insight.

IMG_1610.jpeg

Wanted to come back to this thread. Purchased the 18in Model 3 wheels and installed X-ICE 235/55R18 tires. Immediately noticed a bit better ride quality on some of the bumpy roads. Tested in the mild Colorado snow storm yesterday with great results. Thanks for all the insight.

View attachment 876035
Same: wheels, tires, same! I like the ride and the look a lot.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 6.34.02 PM.png