Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels range optimizing replacement tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 32k miles seems that i'm getting closer to the moment when i'll need new tires for my M3LR AWD (18" wheels with Aero covers), likely around the 40-45k milepost. I did quite a bit of searching on the forums, but honestly couldn't see a clear opinion. So sorry for asking the question if I missed previous answers.

Are there any better options for tires than the OEM MMX4s? My main requirements are range efficiency on 90+% highway driving (SoCal so weather is not really a concern) followed by how long they last. I understand that the stopping distance on the OEM tires is not great, but again on my commute that is not really such a big concern. Same about the road noise. I'm keeping the current tires inflated at 47 PSI cold. My current average efficiency is somewhere in the 235-245 W/m range right now due to 80-85 mph driving during the 2020 annus horribilis but back in Feb when the traffic was as sucky as the norm is in Socal i was doing 225-230 W/m

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

47 PSI cold is high. Summer here in S. Florida my tires would be over 50 PSI warm - that's too high for even tread wear.

My tire replacements will be Continental PureContact LS in the 245/40/19 variety. I selected these because of overall rating, ride comfort, handling, and most important - EcoPlus technology for LRR. I believe this to be the ultimate quality all-season tire that will still provide decent mileage and no major range hit like a summer compound.

235-245 w/m @ 85mph is good - I wouldn't complain much.

• Informative
Reactions: Sandor
Users have spoke about going thinner tires, which is true way of increasing milage, as all prius have thin tires. This is one of the many ways they can achieve those crazy 100+ mpgs.

I drove 80-90mphs all day (going flow with with traffic of course, it's frown upon going slower, though not illegal ... yet). Driving at those speeds and I was getting 80-85 mpgs.

So thinner tires do help! however the tesla is heavier. from 3,375 lbs fully optioned out Prius to 4,100 lbs for AWD LR.

that is a 725 lbs difference. Every inch of decrease means that the tire will "see" more compounded pressure the thinner and thinner you go.
Higher pressures the tire will experinceThe thread life will decrease. By how much? I have no idea and do not feel like doing the calculations.

Last edited:
Look for "ECO" tires that are designed for hybrids and EVs.

Thanks to all for advice. So I guess MXM4s are a very decent choice for my priorities. I was also looking at the
Michelin Crossclimate+. From reading the forums, though a better choice for duration, it seems to negatively impact the range. Any opinions on why ?

Thanks again

Thanks to all for advice. So I guess MXM4s are a very decent choice for my priorities. I was also looking at the
Michelin Crossclimate+. From reading the forums, though a better choice for duration, it seems to negatively impact the range. Any opinions on why ?

Thanks again

MXM4 is basically the ultimate choice for range.

Crossclimate is nearly a winter tire. Expect to lose 10% of your range if you swap to them. Honestly I have no idea why so many people who will never see snow are buying the Crossclimate.

The PS A/S 4 is a much better option, but still will lose range compared to MXM4.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: Sandor and Noodles