Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" aeros - max tire width?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched and looked through a few pages so I think I know the answer but would feel better with confirmation from some of you more knowledgeable tire guys. I'm not a huge fan of the thin tire look although I understand they help with range.

Will I have any issues replacing my stock aero tires with 255/40 R18? Or even go up to 265/40 ?

Plan to order Continental DWS 06

Thanks in advance!

You could get away with 255/40/18 from a width stand-point, but a 265 would not fit on the 8.5" wheel.

That being said, 255/40/18 is not very tall, and is .3" smaller in overall diameter than the stock 235/40/18 Michelin's, which could cause issues as the tire wears with ABS/Stability Control/etc. The motor will also be spinning at a higher RPM given the same speed.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't understand why you would want wider tires unless you are specifically looking for increased handling performance, which will only be obtained in conjunction with a Summer tire (Michelin PS4S, or the like).

Your range and tire noise is going to be worse just by switching to these Continentals, so putting a wider tire on is only going to exacerbate those downsides. Just my two cents.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't understand why you would want wider tires unless you are specifically looking for increased handling performance, which will only be obtained in conjunction with a Summer tire (Michelin PS4S, or the like).

Wider tire will offer slightly better curb rash and pothole protection (if he stays close to stock with a 245/45).

I'd go with a 245/45. As stated above, a little wider and taller, and it will decrease the fender gap as well.

255/40 is too small OD wise and you'll lose a little pothole protection (if that's a concern where you live). You'll also get a bigger fender gap.

Some have gone with 265/40's, which are very close to the stock OD. They don't look like they're bulging all that much either. However, most, if not all manufacturer's don't recommend this width on an 8.5" tire. I always like to stay within the manufacturer's guidelines.

Wider tire will offer slightly better curb rash and pothole protection (if he stays close to stock with a 245/45).

I'd go with a 245/45. As stated above, a little wider and taller, and it will decrease the fender gap as well.

255/40 is too small OD wise and you'll lose a little pothole protection (if that's a concern where you live). You'll also get a bigger fender gap.

Some have gone with 265/40's, which are very close to the stock OD. They don't look like they're bulging all that much either. However, most, if not all manufacturer's don't recommend this width on an 8.5" tire. I always like to stay within the manufacturer's guidelines.

I'm planning on going to 245/45/18 when I switch out the oem michelins, there are more tire choices in that size and slightly lower prices.

You could get away with 255/40/18 from a width stand-point, but a 265 would not fit on the 8.5" wheel.

Sure it will... and tons of folks on other sport sedan forums run exactly that...(and I know at least a couple folks on here are too as al503 mentions)

"officially" the spec says 9" for 265s, but it works fine on 8.5s.... (when I spoke with an engineer at tire rack he basically said "officially I can't tell you it's ok to drive on the street, but I can tell you it's fine to drive on a private track as much as you like")

THAT being said...I agree there's not much value for most folks in going wider at all- not like even the P is traction limited.

I went with 255/40/18 to correct understeer and to have more lateral traction. Handles less darty, firmer on turns, but with a hit to efficiency. Wheel gap not terribly worse as I have lowering springs.

IMG_6875.jpg
IMG_6878.jpg

Reactions: Theraven
Sure it will... and tons of folks on other sport sedan forums run exactly that...(and I know at least a couple folks on here are too as al503 mentions)

"officially" the spec says 9" for 265s, but it works fine on 8.5s.... (when I spoke with an engineer at tire rack he basically said "officially I can't tell you it's ok to drive on the street, but I can tell you it's fine to drive on a private track as much as you like")

THAT being said...I agree there's not much value for most folks in going wider at all- not like even the P is traction limited.

To be more specific, there is no benefit (and downsides) to running a 265 over a 255 on an 8.5" wheel.

This article goes into more detail as to why: How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE - MotoIQ

The tread width on the 265/40/18 Conti DWS06 is 9.2". Sure, you can compress the tire and make it fit on to an 8.5" wheel, but will that deliver desirable or good handling characteristics - no.

If you just want some curb protection, a 245/45/18 is probably the best option.

I'm just trying to save people the same headache this guy got himself into: Changed Performance 20" Wheels and Tires to Titan T7 Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and not happy

I own 7 sets of wheel and tires for the Model 3. The best one's (IMO) to daily drive on utilize stock 235 width.

Reactions: Sam1