Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" BBK Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have looked into MPP's 2 piece rotor kits but can't see how using same size (although lighter) rotors would decrease stopping distance. Thought about swapping pads and adding stainless stainless steel brake lines. The truth is I would like to find a way to add bigger front rotors, rears would be desirable as well but not necessary due to complications with parking brake. Oh did I mention that I don't want to spend an extra 2k to swap my stock 18" aero wheels?

So anybody have any ideas?

I have looked into MPP's 2 piece rotor kits but can't see how using same size (although lighter) rotors would decrease stopping distance.

They can't.

No brake upgrade can do that.

If you want shorter stopping distances the only way to do that is stickier tires.

The tires, not the brakes, are what stop the car.

Brake upgrades can do a lot of OTHER things- though apart from "feel" they're almost exclusively only useful on a race track or during the chase scene in a Jason Bourne movie- but they can't do that.

I'd suggest this excellent article by a very well known brake systems engineer who has literally written books on the topic who explains what each piece of a braking system does, and doesn't do- and why none of them decrease stopping distance

GRM Pulp Friction

I'm assuming you have a P3D-? If so, upgrading to Performance Front Brakes is probably your best option.

That being said, no amount of brake modifications is going to reduce your stopping distance. The limit is not the brakes, it is the tires. Especially if you are still running the stock MXM4's.

EDIT: I didn't beat Knightshade to the punch....so close.

Last edited:
Thank you Knightshade and MasterC17, excellent article and couldn't agree more although the number gave me a bit of a headache.

Yes, tires are on my shortlist and will probably be replaced within 5k. My last car was a modified Audi A4, long list of mods (turbo, IC, injectors, coilovers..) and out of all the mods my favorite one ended up being the pedal feel and stopping distance of my BBK/tires. Remember putting my stock tires on once and had an Oh Sh|t moment when I tried braking at my usual point and the car started sliding. Luckily nothing happened but yes I learned the importance of sticky yet expensive tires - worth every penny.

So back on topic, other then tires, SS lines and brake fluid which I plan on doing is there anything I can do to improve the feel of my brakes on my dual motor (non P) M3 with 18" aero wheels? I really don't want to spend 2k to upgrade wheels that my wife will eventual curb.

Is the M3 dual motor master cylinder the same size as a P3D?

Thanks everyone!

So back on topic, other then tires, SS lines and brake fluid which I plan on doing is there anything I can do to improve the feel of my brakes on my dual motor (non P) M3 with 18" aero wheels?

pads can also change the feel.... though they can also have drawbacks depending what you get like shorter life, increased brake dust, or not performing as well in certain temp ranges (track pads are designed to work at higher temps for example, which sometimes means they don't work so great when they're cold), etc...

Also- how long have you had the car?

I ask because if you're brand new to driving it- put it in hold mode and drive around for a bit...

I find I almost never have to use the brake pedal at all anymore compared to a regular ICE car, significantly dropping the value of 'feel' upgrades to the brakes for me...

Thank you Knightshade and MasterC17, excellent article and couldn't agree more although the number gave me a bit of a headache.

Yes, tires are on my shortlist and will probably be replaced within 5k. My last car was a modified Audi A4, long list of mods (turbo, IC, injectors, coilovers..) and out of all the mods my favorite one ended up being the pedal feel and stopping distance of my BBK/tires. Remember putting my stock tires on once and had an Oh Sh|t moment when I tried braking at my usual point and the car started sliding. Luckily nothing happened but yes I learned the importance of sticky yet expensive tires - worth every penny.

So back on topic, other then tires, SS lines and brake fluid which I plan on doing is there anything I can do to improve the feel of my brakes on my dual motor (non P) M3 with 18" aero wheels? I really don't want to spend 2k to upgrade wheels that my wife will eventual curb.

Is the M3 dual motor master cylinder the same size as a P3D?

Thanks everyone!

Still your best option that would fit under the 18" Aero Wheels is going to be the Performance brakes. The retrofit is easy and straight forward. Master Cylinder is the same.

FWIW the MPP kit changed the feel of my front brakes in the positive - I feel the sharper bite from the greater sweep area (presuming) to be a positive improvement but since I'm running stock pads and 19" OEM wheels, you'd have to try the new kit they have which does not change the size of the rotor. It does lighten them however I can't speak to brake feel. Perhaps pads alone will improve the pedal feel to your liking.

@Knightshade I bought my M3D with 5k miles and have 15k, during my daily driving I barely touch my brakes. I actually wish I could control/increase the regen braking. I had a scary high speed (85 mph) stop and the occasional early morning Angeles Crest run with my friends in (M2, 911) that makes my M3D envious. Trust me, I know my car isn't made to keep up with them but I just wish it would feel a bit more like a proper balanced German car S4, M3...

@MasterC17 I've read several posts stating Tesla performance brakes wont fit aero wheels although they will fit some aftermarket 18" rims.

@Msjulie MPP front/rear rotor replacement are stock size so unless you made other changes you wouldn't have a greater sweep area. If anything due to lighter rotors and rotational mass weight savings your acceleration may have improved.

I have ~$5k plan which has been temporarily set back due to our crazy world but the plan is coilovers and brakes, followed up with tires (not part of mod budget.)

@Knightshade I bought my M3D with 5k miles and have 15k, during my daily driving I barely touch my brakes. I actually wish I could control/increase the regen braking. I had a scary high speed (85 mph) stop and the occasional early morning Angeles Crest run with my friends in (M2, 911) that makes my M3D envious. Trust me, I know my car isn't made to keep up with them but I just wish it would feel a bit more like a proper balanced German car S4, M3...

@MasterC17 I've read several posts stating Tesla performance brakes wont fit aero wheels although they will fit some aftermarket 18" rims.

@Msjulie MPP front/rear rotor replacement are stock size so unless you made other changes you wouldn't have a greater sweep area. If anything due to lighter rotors and rotational mass weight savings your acceleration may have improved.

I have ~$5k plan which has been temporarily set back due to our crazy world but the plan is coilovers and brakes, followed up with tires (not part of mod budget.)

The fronts will fit with no modification. The rears do require minor shaving down of the manufacturing stamping using sand-paper.

IMO the wing is bit much but the brakes are very nice. Fingers crossed that most 18" wheels include stock rims.

"The best feature of these calipers is that they are incredibly low profile. Despite using a massive 368mm rotor, we are able to fit most 18″ wheels over these brakes, even the RPF1 which doesn’t tend to have the most room for big brakes. We knew that was important as a lot of you are using 18″ tires on the track due to availability and cost."

MPP-Stoptech-BBK-scaled.jpg

Reactions: Nauman87
IMO the wing is bit much but the brakes are very nice. Fingers crossed that most 18" wheels include stock rims.
The wing is for the race track only. Function over form in this case. I'd also recommend upgrading from the stock 18" wheels before spending $3k+ on brakes, considering those won't improve anything on the street with the OEM tires other than maybe improved pedal feel.

Reactions: MountainPass
Emailed MPP regarding the 368 x 35mm rotor / Stoptech ST60R calipers and below is there response:

StopTech is currently still closed. Rotors are in production. So we'll be looking at another little bit until we are able to source calipers.

Regarding the OEM 18" wheels - unfortunately, no, those don't fit. We wish they did!