Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 Inch wheels on a M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Just picked up my 2022 M3P yesterday and I'm quite excited.

Just curious, would 18x9.5s have any issues fitting rotors on the M3P? (I know I'll have to check the faces of wheels to make sure it clears the brakes)

Assuming I stick with stock suspension, will I run into any rubbing issues with let's say a 265 or 255/35/18 tires?

The STI center bore is narrower than ours, don't buy STI-specific (or Evo-specific) fitments. A generic 18x9.5 +40 T-S5 with 70-something center bore should fit the hub, but will be pretty tight to the upright and may require a 3-5mm spacer.

Not all 18x9.5 wheels +35ish will fit w/o a spacer either. If you want to experiment, please do and add to the list. For example, APEX's 18x9.5 EC7R forged wheel appears to require a spacer, despite the EC7 +35 wheel fitting fine.

Reactions: tm1v2
@Frank Fang I believe 18x8.5" is the only 18" direct fitment T-S5. They might have 18" Mustang fitments which could fit with centering rings (ones meant for the stepped lip), I haven't checked.

Titan7 is one of the relatively few brands who, when they advertise a wheel as compatible with the Model 3 Performance, they mean a true direct fit, spec'd exactly for our cars, including the "stepped lip" center bore. That is good, but it does mean their sizing options can be more limited than brands which are really selling you their Mustang wheels combined with centering rings + spacers. I believe the T-S5 M3P direct fitments are 18x8.5", 19x9", 19x9.5", 20x8.5" .

STI wheels won't fit sadly due to the center bore, would love me some reasonably priced STI BBS takeoffs. Though STI offsets are generally higher than we need, wouldn't be ideal even in that sense either.

@Frank Fang Here's 18x8.5" ET35 Titan7 T-S5 with 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires on my 2021 M3P, for visual reference:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6705435/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6791334/

That's with the wheels' native offset, no spacers. I am on coilovers but set extremely close to my stock suspension height, maybe 2-3mm lower. No camber arms.

Do you want 9.5" wide for looks or for grip? If for grip, for track days or autocross or just street use? Asking because I actually gained a good bit of grip, dry and wet, when I changed out from my stock wheels and tires. The Pirelli PZ4 that usually come on the M3P these days are pretty subpar for their tire category. I wanted more grip just for my street driving, and I got it thanks to better tires (in the same category).

Of course 9.5" wheels and 265mm wide tires should grip better still, nothing wrong with that! :) I'm just pointing this out because if it's only street driving you're doing, you might end up satisfied just from better tires, without needing wider wheels. (For autocross or track use though you'll surely prefer more grip than my street-focused setup!)

Reactions: Shay Glass
Some 18" will fit.
Here's an incomplete list of what's know to fit.
255/265-wide tires should be good at stock-ish offset in the mid-30s. Smaller offset will introduce the chance of tire coming in contact with the fender while turning at full compression.
Thanks for the list. It would be good to have a column for offset. I am thinking that with stock height and 18x8.5 wheels I can use between +20 to +30 offset.

@Frank Fang Here's 18x8.5" ET35 Titan7 T-S5 with 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires on my 2021 M3P, for visual reference:

That's with the wheels' native offset, no spacers. I am on coilovers but set extremely close to my stock suspension height, maybe 2-3mm lower. No camber arms.

Do you want 9.5" wide for looks or for grip? If for grip, for track days or autocross or just street use? Asking because I actually gained a good bit of grip, dry and wet, when I changed out from my stock wheels and tires. The Pirelli PZ4 that usually come on the M3P these days are pretty subpar for their tire category. I wanted more grip just for my street driving, and I got it thanks to better tires (in the same category).

Of course 9.5" wheels and 265mm wide tires should grip better still, nothing wrong with that! :) I'm just pointing this out because if it's only street driving you're doing, you might end up satisfied just from better tires, without needing wider wheels. (For autocross or track use though you'll surely prefer more grip than my street-focused setup!)
Purely just a daily, so it's all about aesthetics and comfort. The 8.5s do look nice, but would obviously prefer the rear to be a little more extended towards the outside. Appreciate the heads up on the center bore.

Also,

WOW on the amount of responses I got, these forums are definitely a bit more lively than the ft86club ones I'm from haha.

For looks I like 19" the most on this car, and yeah, wider can look better too when the wheel takes advantage of it for more spoke depth. Which the T-S5 does! Though I don't know if 19" T-S5 offsets are what you would want.

How is the comfort of your Potenza's? I heard it is rough... much worse that Pilot Sport 4s?

😄How is the comfort of your Potenza's? I heard it is rough... much worse that Pilot Sport 4s?
@hzstealth To me the Potenza Sport sidewalls feel very sturdy. Which means very responsive steering, even under high cornering forces, but also presumably a rougher ride. But in 18" the ride is of course smoother than the original 20" tires (Pirelli PZ4).

In 18" I want sturdy sidewalls, because the ride is good anyways thanks to the taller sidewall.

I haven't used the PS4S but I expect their sidewalls are a bit softer, for a smoother ride but less responsive under high cornering forces. Probably the difference is small in the scheme of things though...not like comparing with a mushy allseason.

@hzstealth To me the Potenza Sport sidewalls feel very sturdy. Which means very responsive steering, even under high cornering forces, but also presumably a rougher ride. But in 18" the ride is of course smoother than the original 20" tires (Pirelli PZ4).

In 18" I want sturdy sidewalls, because the ride is good anyways thanks to the taller sidewall.

I haven't used the PS4S but I expect their sidewalls are a bit softer, for a smoother ride but less responsive under high cornering forces. Probably the difference is small in the scheme of things though...not like comparing with a mushy allseason.
True! I agree on the 245/45/18 being an ideal size. I'm personally waiting on the Pilot Sport 5 to come to the US. Europe has them and in the 245/45 size and it's close to the 4s in performance but more like the 4 in comfort, which would be a huge plus

Reactions: tm1v2
Just an update for yall, pulled the trigger on the APEX EC-7. Will be using 265/40/18 Michelin All Seasons on them. Will post pictures and results!

I pray I don't need spacers with this set up to clear the suspension
How have you liked the EC-7s?? I love the look of them. Will be grabbing some 19” winter wheels at the end of the summer. Any challenges at all on fit etc?

Some 18" will fit.
Here's an incomplete list of what's know to fit.
255/265-wide tires should be good at stock-ish offset in the mid-30s. Smaller offset will introduce the chance of tire coming in contact with the fender while turning at full compression.
Hey, does this list imply a direct fit on model 3 2021+ performonce without additional modification such as spacers, or those stepped hubbed rings?