TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

18-inch winter wheels?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Zagor, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Zagor

Zagor New Member

Hi guys. I'm sort of windows shopping for a Model S and it has been very interesting to read the adventures of owners experiencing the car in harsh winter climate. Since I live far north, this matters to me.

It is a little unfortunate that the Model S only comes with 19 or 21-inch wheels. The range of winter tires in those dimensions is rather limited and very expensive. But I wonder if perhaps 18-inch wheels could fit. Has anyone physically tried fitting 18-inch wheels to their car?

The limiting factor to downsizing wheels is typically the brakes. The disc and caliper needs to fit inside the rim. The rear (largest) disc of the Model S measures 365x28 mm. I compared with the BMW M5 (E60) and it turns out it has much larger brake discs: 374x46 mm. Yet the M5 can be fitted with 18-inch wheels. BMW even sells 18-inch OEM wheels for the M5.

So unless the calipers of the Model S are significantly bulkier than those of the M5, 18-inch wheels might actually fit. That would open up a much broader selection of tires in dimensions 245/50/R18 and 225/55/R18.

2. Panu

Panu Member

Anyone tried 18 inch wheels?

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

So far no one has been able to find 18" wheels that will fit except for some temporary spare tire wheels.

4. Panu

Panu Member

Yes I found the thread:

Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution - Page 12

If 18" works as a spare tire why doesn't it work as a longer term tire?

5. Zextraterrestrial

Even one of my 19" sets rubs the suspension a tiny bit on really hard cornering when the wheel flexes, and they were 'guaranteed' to fit the S
    good luck w/ a 18" that is strong

6. Panu

Panu Member

OK the suspension is the problem.

7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

I thought there have been a few references to MS owners running 18in rims but never giving particulars. Could also be that they meant 'not the 21in rims'.
    --