TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

18" Model 3 Tire Recommendation for Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by TOM17, Jun 8, 2018.

1. TOM17

TOM17 New Member

I have a Model 3 AWD on order with the standard wheels (Aero covers). I also have new brilliant silver 18 inch turbine wheels on order. from a third party. I am looking for sporty tires for the new 18" wheels. It looks like the do not make the Continental 19" wheels sold with the sport tire upgrade in 18". I like the 18" wheels better for longevity. A lot of pot holes and some not so great road in Northeast New Jersey (NYC Suburbs) and I plan on having 2 sets of wheels . Plan on mainly using the silver wheels for most local driving and use the Areo wheels when I travel longer distances. Not a big fan of the Aero wheels and think the silver looks better on the blue Model 3 I ordered. Any other low rolling resistance 18" tires other than the Michelin Primacy MXM4 that ship with the 18" wheels that are a bit sportier and won't decrease battery distance?

2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

I had planned to order the 18 turbines but I am very happy with the ride of the 19's. I was going to get the 18 Pirelli Cinuratos because they offered the best comfort according to TireRack testers. Recent test by owners indicate very little increase in mileage for the 18's.

3. rlb4

rlb4 Member

Continental Extreme Contact DSW 06

4. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

If you want the best actual performance the correct answer is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Can't speak to its rolling resistance though.

5. TT97

TT97 Active Member

The PS 4S is what I am looking to replace my tires once they are somewhat worn out. The PS 4S are the OEM tires on the 20" wheels and are also listed in the Owner's Manual as alternate tires for the 18" (although it actually lists the PS 4 which are not available in the 235/45-18 and are mainly for the European market).

Michelin does state the tires have "Michelin Total Performance" which have eco focus reducing rolling resistance but not sure how it translated to actual efficiency.

6. moridin2002

moridin2002 Member

Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ in 245/45/18. Slightly larger overall diameter, but load rating is similar. The speedo would likely read about 1.3% slow (assuming reported diameter is true to life), unless there's an auto calibration against GPS on the 3 that fixes it. Rated section width is 0.3" wider. Not sure on tire/wheel clearance with the 3 on 18s (assuming same width and offset as the factory 18" wheel), but my guess is that it wouldn't be an issue.

7. WallyP

WallyP Member

I went with Pirelli P Zero Nero GT's on 19" TST turbine wheels. Great performance summer tires, although I did take a big hit on mileage range versus the OEM aero's. The Pirelli's were almost 40% less than OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4, so my local tire shop gave me a great deal on trade in.