Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 Model S 100D Totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry for your accident. (sincerely)

But please where was the NSFW caption! Thats my exact car! Oh the horror. I can't un-see this now and have to check my garage!

If you really want to see something horrifying, I'll post the aftermath photos of my 85D accident. I will say this though - my interior cabin was pristine and untouched after the collision. Tesla definitely has the whole crumple-zone thing figured out.

Another big challenge will be the repair shop securing the parts. Repair centers in NY have a special release you get to sign about them not being responsible for the acquisition of the needed repair parts. It's not heir fault, they are just really tough to acquire in a timely fashion. No way 10K fixes that vehicle. Allstate is very well known for lowballing the initial estimates, and then fighting the repair facilities for supplemental approvals.
Good luck
However a good certified shop can repair it properly and make it right.

Another big challenge will be the repair shop securing the parts. Repair centers in NY have a special release you get to sign about them not being responsible for the acquisition of the needed repair parts. It's not heir fault, they are just really tough to acquire in a timely fashion. No way 10K fixes that vehicle. Allstate is very well known for lowballing the initial estimates, and then fighting the repair facilities for supplemental approvals.
Good luck
However a good certified shop can repair it properly and make it right.
I will be going thru my insruance for repairs, progressive, who will then subro allstate as they have accepted 100% liability.

The repair shop i found has about 6 teslas already in repairs, the earliest they can work on my car would be end of august, and thats after parts arrive during august they said.

On the side note, does anyone here have any experience with loss of use when in not at fault accident? Since the third party insurance allstate is basically denying me any rental services, because they wont make a reservation for me, and i cant rent a car on my own since im 20, and they fail to hook me up with a similar value car, i was looking at loss of use claims

I will be going thru my insruance for repairs, progressive, who will then subro allstate as they have accepted 100% liability.

The repair shop i found has about 6 teslas already in repairs, the earliest they can work on my car would be end of august, and thats after parts arrive during august they said.

On the side note, does anyone here have any experience with loss of use when in not at fault accident? Since the third party insurance allstate is basically denying me any rental services, because they wont make a reservation for me, and i cant rent a car on my own since im 20, and they fail to hook me up with a similar value car, i was looking at loss of use claims

Will depend on your locale. Since they are offering to reimburse, at a minimum get in writing what they are willing to reimburse (i.e. a daily total of $XX up to XX days). I found case precedent related to TX.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus

Google diminished value attorneys in your area. They will probably handle loss of use also. All insurance companies treat is as a business. Worth a few calls to protect yourself.

This comes from over 30 years ago, perhaps helpful, possibly not. I bought a used car to use while my repair was being done. It should be old and inexpensive but in good repair. I’d look for something 12-15 years old, it should be <$1000. You’ll get most of it back when you sell it. No it won’t be a new car but you’ll have transportation and you’ll be able to continue paying for your Tesla. It won’t cost much to insure because you won’t need collision on it, just liability and medical. If they repair your Tesla, you are going to have to continue payments regardless of how long it takes. If you were not at fault, the other insurance company should provide rental coverage, but as a practical matter you said you cannot rent a car because of your age. Yes you should be made whole, you should have transportation provided that is equivalent to the car that was wrecked. And you probably should have a lawyer. One nitpick, it is not up to your lawyer to recommend treatment or physical therapy as someone suggested. Your lawyer has absolutely no medical training so cannot and should not be making medical recommendations. All he can do is suggest you see a physician.

So, this fellow that essentially wrecked your car for you has done you a disservice. In an ideal world, you should be able to drive a Tesla rental until your car is returned to you in exactly the same condition it was in the minute before the accident. Your repaired car should be worth exactly the same as it was. It won’t be. The repair might be perfect but the car won’t be worth the same, it’s value will be diminished and that loss of value should be paid to you as well.

They’ll probably total your car. You do have the right to have your car replaced by an equivalent car, same year, same options, same condition, etc., the problem is finding one. It would be so nice if things worked out as they were supposed to, with you going on as if you hadn’t had the wreck, made whole, etc. It’d be nice if everyone was honest, did what they said, looked out for your best interest, yada yada. People forget things. People change what they tell you they said. People change jobs. New people may not behave as the departed people promised. And a lot of people value money above honesty.

The fact that you didn’t go to a physician due to fear of Covid19 will pretty much put the matter of any sort of injury settlement to rest. I agree with your decision, it’d be a real tragedy to have some aches and pains then get a lethal disease getting someone to treat you for something that you could self treat just as well. The down side is that you do wind up with some sort of chronic neck pain, you’ll never be able to go back and prove it was accident related.

Practically you need to look out for yourself. Good job with the Covid19 decision. Would I use a lawyer. With a car this expensive I think you should. There’s the Covid19 aspect there too. I can’t help you with that. Maybe you can do everything by phone. That’d be what I’d try. He’ll want to be paid. That’s just a part of having wrecks, even the not at fault ones. Ask the attorney what he’s going to charge right up front. Get it out in the open. It’s better than surprises.

I’m probably rambling. I’m old. It goes with the territory. You’ll ramble when you get old. And get a notebook. Any time you talk to anyone, insurance, police, attorneys, car repair people, estimators, anyone, make a note. The date, the time, who you spoke to, and write down what was said. It’ll take a few minutes but later you’ll be able to go back to it. It’s a hell of a lot more impressive to tell someone “At 10:30 on July 25th I spoke to Jan Smith and she told me 1. 2. 3. ...” than it is to be saying “I spoke to someone last month and I thought....”. You are already behind on your notebook. So write down everything you remember so far, then go with the good notes from here on in.

Good luck my young friend. You’re going to take some hits with this. You just want them to be as small as you can make them.

Are all GAP policies the same in the 'States? In the UK there are different policies, some to cover balance on finance only, others to provide replacement with same vehicle and others to pay out original invoice value.

They could be linked to finance, or relate to 100% cash purchase and intended to protect the owner's asset value or amount paid out.

Certain cover only linked to brand new while other can be set up for a used car.

So certainly worth making sure exactly what is covered and based on what value figure.

So an update, a week after my crash my insurance decided to repair the vechile instead of their initial total loss, the insurance repair estimate was 10k before teardown, now after the repair shop is 60% done tearing it down, the repair estimate is already 32k and counting, my insurance repair rep said it might be a total loss once they teardown and find out the 100% of damages that where done.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike