Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Modern Spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get the trunk mat directly from weathertech, you can get the roll out bumper protector. I’ve been using it a lot with all the contactless pickups.

Thanks for the info, David. I just ordered a MaxPider trunk liner this morning to match my floor mat liners. I was intrigued though and checked out the WeatherTech. I've used WeatherTech in the past but this time didn't think the rollout bumper cover was worth the $50 over the MaxPider. I usually keep a thick padded blanket in the subtrunk anyways that can be used to drape over the bumper. I appreciate you sharing the info though.

Just received the 3DMaxPider trunk liner and love the quality. It has great grip and coverage with a tight seal around the edges. Still provides easy access to the subtrunk.

20200807_154101.jpg

We are about to buy one to keep in the car for road trips.

What's the best 12V impact wrench to keep in the car with adjustable torque settings so I can dial in 129 lb/ft?

Should I get the jack that comes with the Modern Spare kit or is there a better/more compact jack?

Do they make a 12V jack that will raise the car at the press of a button? :p:D

We are about to buy one to keep in the car for road trips.

What's the best 12V impact wrench to keep in the car with adjustable torque settings so I can dial in 129 lb/ft?

Should I get the jack that comes with the Modern Spare kit or is there a better/more compact jack?

Do they make a 12V jack that will raise the car at the press of a button? :p:D

The 12V impact wrench is an interesting idea. I bought the kit with Jack and wheel spacer. The jack fits inside the wheel so everything is organized, compact, and lightweight (relatively).

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I am not aware of any cordless impact wrenches that let you dial in the torque value. In general, you are taught to hand tighten the lugs to snug, then tighten them to torque spec using a torque wrench. Preferably in 2-3 passes (e.g. 80 ft-lbs all around then 130 ft-lbs all around).

There is a product called a torque stick that is designed to limit the maximum torque from a pneumatic impact gun. The big tire shops use them as they are fast, but no official procedure endorses using impact tools to tighten lugs. And, I haven’t seen one made for cordless impactors - the impulses are shorter.

get a torque wrench - that’s the correct tool.

and, yes, there are some 12V powered jacks.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I have the Modern Spare for my June 2020 build Tesla S Long Range, requiring the spacer for rear fitment. The spacer is big and heavy, and means the wheel really does not fit the car if a spacer is required. No harm done, particularly for the temporary nature of the Modern Spare. Nonetheless, I would rather they provide a wheel that fits all 4 corners of the Tesla, without resorting to the spacer. This is a compromise and added expense, space, and weight. Maybe someone has a true spare tire that fits both front and rear without spacers!

Last edited:
I have the Modern Spare for my June 2020 build Tesla S Long Range, requiring the spacer for rear fitment. The spacer is big and heavy, and means the wheel really does not fit the car if a spacer is required. No harm done, particularly for the temporary nature of the Modern Spare. Nonetheless, I would rather they provide a wheel that fits all 4 corners of the Tesla, without resorting to the spacer. This is a compromise and added expense, space, and weight. Maybe someone has a true spare tire that fits both front and rear without spacers!

Seems if you need a spacer, maybe just buy an extra regular wheel so if you need to use it, it's actually a permanent replacement and you can just fix the wheel you pulled out?

I guess the Modern Spare takes up less space right?

Anyone have a photo of a Modern Spare next to a 19" OEM wheel/tire?

Seems if you need a spacer, maybe just buy an extra regular wheel so if you need to use it, it's actually a permanent replacement and you can just fix the wheel you pulled out?

I guess the Modern Spare takes up less space right?

Anyone have a photo of a Modern Spare next to a 19" OEM wheel/tire?

The reason to buy it is it is 6" wide verses fitting a normal wide tire on a 19" or 21" Tesla wheel. The spare takes up much less room and weighs less. The spare wheel is used by Modern Spare for many other applications besides Tesla. If you take the spare on a trip, you should take the spacer to replace the rear tires. If a rear tire goes, you are out of luck without the spacer. The current Performance Tesla S does not require a spacer for rear fitment, and most older Model S Teslas do not require the spacer. I bought it knowing this limitation because it works, and the spacer is fine for temporary use. I just think Modern should find and ship a wheel that fits without the spacer for $450. They include everything you need.

I just stored the spacer in the lower trunk compartment, but I wonder if anyone has stored the spacer on the wheel inside the Modern Spare case? I do recognize the spacer has to be mounted first and the MS wheel second so the spacer can't be permanently fixed to the MS wheel.
Also, I never gave it a thought that the spacer is not needed for the front, only the rear.

As for additional supplies. I also bought a low cost torque wrench to keep in the MS kit. I think it was only $25.

One other use the MS Spare is good for is a temporary placement when you rotate your tires.

I just stored the spacer in the lower trunk compartment, but I wonder if anyone has stored the spacer on the wheel inside the Modern Spare case? I do recognize the spacer has to be mounted first and the MS wheel second so the spacer can't be permanently fixed to the MS wheel.
Also, I never gave it a thought that the spacer is not needed for the front, only the rear.

As for additional supplies. I also bought a low cost torque wrench to keep in the MS kit. I think it was only $25.

One other use the MS Spare is good for is a temporary placement when you rotate your tires.
The spacer's lug nuts are a different size from the other "Tesla" size lug nuts. I think it is easier keeping everything separate, as the spacer complicates changing the tire anyway, and I don't want to fumble with different size lug nuts or the spacer unless I have to on the side of the road.

Reactions: TravelFree