Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18% off Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kuhz

Oct 25, 2017
Mars
7341D68F-7930-419D-9EE2-4AA77D6560C6.jpeg
Got this email today. Unfortunately I’m too broke for a purchase like this. If someone has sponsorship ideas, I’m all ears :D

Is there any way for me purchase this referral credit from someone? I intend to get a Roadster, wasn’t thinking Founders Series. But if someone isn’t going to use it, and it could transfer in some way, I’d be down to pay.

As far as I know, there isn’t a way to transfer the discount, short of handing over the money to the referral owner and hoping you get a car.
This is going to limit the number of free cars to those who actually won it outright, and even then, taxes are going to reduce that number even further. I’m guessing fewer than 50% of the cars will actually be awarded.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms
It's quite straightforward to draw up a contract to purchase the referral credit award and use a lawyer as an escrow service for the funds transfer. I did just this with some PW2 referral award credits I had. I ordered an M3 on my account, but put the buyer's name and info the website. He handled paying the balance and taking delivery. The car was titled and registered in his name. We then transferred the car from my TESLA account to his. Worked out very smoothly. I suspect the NGR awards can be handled in much the same way, and in fact this is how I plan to handle my NGR award discounts.

What’s everyone’s best guess as to the percentage of people that received a discount will actually purchase a Roadster?

The trick is finding willing buyers who want in on the Founder's NGR but don't have any referrals and don't want to drop $250k today to reserve one. Tesla claims that only 1,000 Founder's NGRs will be built. I suspect that's actually "1,000+all referral discount awards". Because A LOT of people have NGR discounts.

Last edited:
I have a 14% discount that I'm hoping they will convert to some alternate award or % off more affordable models.
I don't know what planet Tesla is on to think that just because I bought an S seven years ago and "sold" some S3XY cars in the meantime that I'd be able to justify a $230k car purchase on THEIR timetable.... but... whatever. I'll sit on it for now and see what happens.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
I have a 14% discount that I'm hoping they will convert to some alternate award or % off more affordable models.
I don't know what planet Tesla is on to think that just because I bought an S seven years ago and "sold" some S3XY cars in the meantime that I'd be able to justify a $230k car purchase on THEIR timetable.... but... whatever. I'll sit on it for now and see what happens.
The credit expired on 1/1/2021, unfortunately. I contacted them and asked if they could apply it for my Plaid S preorder, as that is also a "halo car" of theirs, they replied that while they are also excited for the Plaid S, that the earned referral credit was only applicable to a roadster. Feels wrong to pass up $30,000 of "free money", but I don't need to spend that much cash right now haha.

It's quite straightforward to draw up a contract to purchase the referral credit award and use a lawyer as an escrow service for the funds transfer. I did just this with some PW2 referral award credits I had. I ordered an M3 on my account, but put the buyer's name and info the website. He handled paying the balance and taking delivery. The car was titled and registered in his name. We then transferred the car from my TESLA account to his. Worked out very smoothly. I suspect the NGR awards can be handled in much the same way, and in fact this is how I plan to handle my NGR award discounts.

I’m considering purchasing a referral. Would you care to share that agreement?