Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" or 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think 19s will handle better but 18s will give a less harsh ride, and a little longer range on the freeways
My M3 is 19 and my wife's M3 is a 18. Definitely softer ride on the 18. I actually did a comparison on the ride back from the factory and confirmed that indeed the 18 has better efficiency by about 10%. I posted the details/results in another thread. The 19 are definitely sportier and you definitely feel the road. I am looking to add new springs on my 19. The 18in are perfect for in town driving. Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: oldtrip
Go with the 18" Aeros if you need every mile of range you can get, and/or prefer the look.
Go with the 19" wheels if you value max traction during cornering, and/or like the look.

I have the 19" sport wheels on my Model 3 and do NOT think they are harsh, nor has anyone who has ridden/driven my car (VIN 9371). Very sweetly tuned suspension.

I'm not sure 19" will have max traction in rain or snow. Dry pavement, yes.

No doubt the 19” look better. I have the 18s. The hub caps are ugly, but the efficiency is hopefully worth the slight eye sore. If I wasn’t a cheapskate, I’d have gotten the 19s.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, I think the 18" look better.
MwQQYAKfR06LJeqj3Kh0Yw.jpg

Buy the car with 18s. Buy the tSportline 18s for $1400. Switch tires and tps to new wheels. Sell old wheels or keep for back up. Best of both worlds.
My plan is to do this but put the OEM wheels on winter tires, Tsportline wheels on the all-seasons for summer. Just an FYI, if anyone's planning on buying from Tsportline, they had a great holiday sale this last December. I'd wait until the same time this year if you can.

Reactions: Aellinsar
Has anybody done a comparison on the ride characteristics with the 18" and 19" wheels? If not, what are the thoughts of those here?

Here are the pages for the 3 tire sizes in today's update of the owners manual with a few notes in red added.

Since I live in the south I'd be fine with the 18" primacys year round. For those above the 40th parallel I'd totally understand if you want to run two sets (summer + winter or all season + winter).

Model3tireswithnotes.png

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Wondering how hard that would be. Also, depends on the color of the car. I'm likely getting red, though midnight silver has a great look too. But thinking silver wheels might look really nice on the red...
They would. It would even be cool if the aero covers were silver. Like this:

Attachments

• serveimage-3.jpeg
    serveimage-3.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: drawfour
Here are the pages for the 3 tire sizes in today's update of the owners manual with a few notes in red added.

Since I live in the south I'd be fine with the 18" primacys year round. For those above the 40th parallel I'd totally understand if you want to run two sets (summer + winter or all season + winter).

View attachment 291865
Does this mean oem 20s are coming from Tesla??

They will be an option in the configurator at some point and were added to the online store recently.

edit: I see someone else linked to the page.
I just called Tesla's sales and they were totally unhelpful. They said "at this point there is no planned change to the design studio. If you want the 20 inch wheels, you'll have to buy them separately in the online shop"

That seems so inefficient. The 19s are available in the shop as are the 18s in addition to the design studio. The 18s are $2,000 and the 19s are $3500. The online shop sells the 20s for $4000. This would make me think that they should have it in the design studio as a $2000 option above the aeros just like the 19s are a $1500 option over the aeros ($3500-$2000). The lady on the phone was totally useless and didn't even offer to check with people who run the design studio.

I just called Tesla's sales and they were totally unhelpful. They said "at this point there is no planned change to the design studio. If you want the 20 inch wheels, you'll have to buy them separately in the online shop"

That seems so inefficient. The 19s are available in the shop as are the 18s in addition to the design studio. The 18s are $2,000 and the 19s are $3500. The online shop sells the 20s for $4000. This would make me think that they should have it in the design studio as a $2000 option above the aeros just like the 19s are a $1500 option over the aeros ($3500-$2000). The lady on the phone was totally useless and didn't even offer to check with people who run the design studio.
Just a thought—though it seems that woman was unhelpful, you have to realize it's probably just some salesperson on a phone. It would be like going to H&M and wondering why the person at the counter can't address your concerns that the shirt you want to buy only comes in blue, not in green as you would prefer. That person does not have a direct connection with the powers that make those decisions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vern Padgett

Right now they're offering as few options as possible to try and ramp delivery.

If you go from 2 wheel choices to 3, that adds complexity.

Not just immediate build but supply chain, etc...

Right now if you have to order the 20s separately it doesn't hold up the assembly line if they're back-ordered, nor do they ever even need to GO to the factory, they could just drop ship from where ever.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Right now they're offering as few options as possible to try and ramp delivery.

If you go from 2 wheel choices to 3, that adds complexity.

Not just immediate build but supply chain, etc...

Right now if you have to order the 20s separately it doesn't hold up the assembly line if they're back-ordered, nor do they ever even need to GO to the factory, they could just drop ship from where ever.
I wonder if Tesla would buy back the 18s at delivery if you ordered the 20s.