Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" or 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Torn on this as well as I think the 19s look fantastic in completing the look of the car.

I didnt like the 21s on my S but the 19s aren't a huge jump from the base wheels on the 3 and leaning that way since i am going black and thats "free".

The ride with 18's is already choppy so I'd be reluctant to have 19's. The cornering even with 18's is phenomenal, I can't imagine needing 19's as the car with 18's already sticks to the road like glue.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I briefly drove in an M3 that had 19's, and the ride and cornering reminded me of my days when I drove a sports car many years ago. I'm hoping 18's deliver the same.

The 18s (vs 19s):
1. Don't cost extra (save $1500+tax now, small extra annual license, insurance).
2. Come with the aero wheel covers which are much more efficient.
3. Likely ride better. As said above, ride is already stiff.
4. Handle great. 19s could be better, don't know.
5. Will probably last longer with Michelins vs Contis.
6. Have the unusual looking aero wheels but they are growing on me. Could easily remove the covers for a different look (came with a tool in the glove box), haven't felt the need and don't want to lose efficiency.
7. Are higher profile so less subject to wheel damage from road hazards. But likely not an issue with either choice.

I've had my model 3 now for 4 weeks and am happy with the 18 inch choice.

I have both, well stock 18's and 19's from TSportline with the same OEM Continentals. The ride is very similar, the 18's are already firm riding and the 19's feel nearly the same. At first I felt the 19's felt a bit smoother than the 18's but after a while the 19's are little more jarring when there are large potholes or large bumps in the road.

On everyday streets and freeway they don't feel drastically different from both a comfort and road noise perspective.

I just picked up my wife's model 3 from the factory (18 aeros) and compared it to the ride in my 19 aero (which I picked up in late Jan--so it has the newer springs)....driving the cars back to back on same roads, you can tell the 18 in definitely has smoother ride. The ride is not as harsh, but you also don't feel the road as much for handling. All in all, I really like the 18 aero ride quality. I am looking to get the unplugged springs to possibly soften up the ride without compromising the handling.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I don’t like how the rim extends beyond the protection of the tire with the 18’s. Do the 19’s also have this flaw?

Several days ago I saw a new model 3 in Redondo charging with both right side rims badly rashed. I may look for some aftermarket rims if they are all this bad!!

I don’t like how the rim extends beyond the protection of the tire with the 18’s. Do the 19’s also have this flaw?

Several days ago I saw a new model 3 in Redondo charging with both right side rims badly rashed. I may look for some aftermarket rims if they are all this bad!!

It's pretty easy to avoid curbs, I've never understood how people rash their rims so often. The tilting side mirrors help immensely.

I would not call this a design flaw; a wide rim is an advantage for steering precision and transient handling. Some tires have a rim protector of rubber near the bead which helps protect the rim somewhat, but the Michelin model they chose (for low rolling resistance and quietness) does not have this feature. Something to think about when it is time for new tires.

Reactions: Blue in NC
Go with the 18" Aeros if you need every mile of range you can get, and/or prefer the look.
Go with the 19" wheels if you value max traction during cornering, and/or like the look.

I have the 19" sport wheels on my Model 3 and do NOT think they are harsh, nor has anyone who has ridden/driven my car (VIN 9371). Very sweetly tuned suspension.

Reactions: Vern Padgett