Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 or 20 inches rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to get an idea of what you all are thinking about getting with regards to wheel sizes assuming the sizes are 18s or 20s. I was really leaning towards the 18s, but I also want black/dark rims and I have a feeling that those will only come in 20s so I think that may go that route. Wanted to see where everyone else stands when it comes to wheel size.

Thanks!

20s are all but confirmed, as they were not only on the alphas, but those same wheels have been on most of the RCs. Could Tesla keep that exact wheel design but shrink it? Yes, but unlikely.

What the smaller wheel size will be is still very much up for debate.

Hello Everyone,

I was really leaning towards the 18s, but I also want black/dark rims and I have a feeling that those will only come in 20s so I think that may go that route.

I feel the same way, but there is hope! Tesla recently removed the non-stock 20" optional wheels on the Model X and replaced them with a dark gray version of the stock 20" Slipstream wheels! (However they kept the price the same as the previous wheel design, which essentially just makes this a very expensive paint job.) So basically there is now 1 wheel design for the smallest wheel size (20") and 1 wheel design for the largest size (22"), and both are available in light and dark colored variations.

I feel that they will go this route with the Model 3 as well because it makes sense from a production point of view. Why follow the same route as the Model S (make 2 small wheel designs, and 1 large wheel design) when Tesla can just do what they did for the X and have 1 small wheel design and 1 large wheel design, and offer them in the light/dark colored options. This would save Tesla time/money in designing/testing 3 different wheels, and could also help simplify their production line.

So there is still hope for an optional dark colored 18" wheel, fingers crossed!

As a Prius owner, I have followed the wheel size discussion/debate on the Prius forum. Here are the general conclusions from hundreds (maybe thousands) of experiments with wheel size:

- Larger wheels reduce range anywhere from negligible to 10% depending on how you drive (people who opt for larger wheels tend to be more aggressive drivers).
- Larger tires are more expensive
- Larger tires wear faster (maybe because of more aggressive driving)
- Larger rims are heavier and add unsprung weight at the perimeter of the car that affects range negatively
- Larger wheels tend to give a less supple ride
- Larger wheels tend to provide somewhat better traction and directional control if you are an aggressive driver
- Larger wheels have the "cool" factor

I will be happy with the stock wheels on my TM3. Range predictions will be based on the stock wheels size and I want to maximize my range. I will spend the $3000+ cost of upgraded wheels on other more useful options (as yet undetermined). I will probably powder coat or Plasti-dip the stock rims if I don't like the colors offered.

That's my final answer until I change my mind.

I will take 18 inch rims. A crossway between performance and range is the motivation for me. If option I will go for the premium standard size with Brembo brakes when possible. And will buy another set of 18inch rims with Pirelli wintertyres. Smart Air suspension is a must.

As a Prius owner, I have followed the wheel size discussion/debate on the Prius forum. Here are the general conclusions from hundreds (maybe thousands) of experiments with wheel size:

- Larger wheels reduce range anywhere from negligible to 10% depending on how you drive (people who opt for larger wheels tend to be more aggressive drivers).
- Larger tires are more expensive
- Larger tires wear faster (maybe because of more aggressive driving)
- Larger rims are heavier and add unsprung weight at the perimeter of the car that affects range negatively
- Larger wheels tend to give a less supple ride
- Larger wheels tend to provide somewhat better traction and directional control if you are an aggressive driver
- Larger wheels have the "cool" factor

I will be happy with the stock wheels on my TM3. Range predictions will be based on the stock wheels size and I want to maximize my range. I will spend the $3000+ cost of upgraded wheels on other more useful options (as yet undetermined). I will probably powder coat or Plasti-dip the stock rims if I don't like the colors offered.

That's my final answer until I change my mind.

My thoughts exactly, but I have to add that the alpha prototypes with 20 rims on reveal day did not show much rubber on them. There is a general opinion that larger the rims, the better it looks which is totally not the case IMO. I see teenagers around here with small cars modified in every way possible and huge rims with extremely thin profile tires on them and looking hideous to say the least. I think the smaller wheels in Models 3 will be the better looking option. This is not usually the case with other cars but with Tesla, their smaller wheel is already a low profile tire.

Last edited:
I always thought the X looked off with the 20". The bulk of the rear was too much for the small wheels. Looks perfect with 22". Hopefully the model 3 won't be the same. The car we're replacing has low profiles. Every other year one gets blown out on a pothole, so no more small side walls for us.

Hello All,

I agree with those who say that the 18s will be a nicer ride and more comfortable ride, my main dilemma is that I am wanting black rims and I am worried that Telsa will only offer that color in the 20s and at a premium to boot. Just trying to decide what I would do if that was the case. Maybe the smart play is get the stock rims and then get a nice set of after market black 18s later.

Hello All,

I agree with those who say that the 18s will be a nicer ride and more comfortable ride, my main dilemma is that I am wanting black rims and I am worried that Telsa will only offer that color in the 20s and at a premium to boot. Just trying to decide what I would do if that was the case. Maybe the smart play is get the stock rims and then get a nice set of after market black 18s later.
Powder coat the stock rims. Cost is about $600.